Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sound Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holtz13

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2014
Stafford, VA
I just picked up our Model 3 today and have had to reboot the system twice already, due to no sound. Driving down the road and listening to the radio and all of the sudden no sound from anywhere. No GPS voice directions, no FM, streaming or Tunein sound, no voice controls in car. Holding down both steering wheel buttons resets the system and solves the problem. This may only happen every 6 months in our Model S. Twice in the first day of ownership was unexpected.

I haven’t read about anyone else having the same issue, so i’m asking for help. In case it might be a Bluetooth problem my wife has an IPhone 6s and I have an IPhone 7Plus. The first time it happened, my phone wasn’t set up with the car yet. The second time it happened, I was the only one in the car.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I just picked up our Model 3 today and have had to reboot the system twice already, due to no sound. Driving down the road and listening to the radio and all of the sudden no sound from anywhere. No GPS voice directions, no FM, streaming or Tunein sound, no voice controls in car. Holding down both steering wheel buttons resets the system and solves the problem. This may only happen every 6 months in our Model S. Twice in the first day of ownership was unexpected.

I haven’t read about anyone else having the same issue, so i’m asking for help. In case it might be a Bluetooth problem my wife has an IPhone 6s and I have an IPhone 7Plus. The first time it happened, my phone wasn’t set up with the car yet. The second time it happened, I was the only one in the car.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
I've had this happen once only and have over 1700 miles. Most of the time I'm listening to USB music though. I think the one time this happened, streaming music was playing.

While playing USB music in the Model 3 there was one song I was playing that sounded like an old vinyl record with some pops and sputters in the background.
I figured it was in the recording, but when I listened on my PC on headphones I didn't hear the same pops in it. I tried again in the car later and it sounded better the second time.
So, maybe I hit the same problem. It seemed to happen on only one song... I guess I hit "skip forward" to next song when I heard it didn't sound great, so maybe I just (temporarily) fixed the problem by doing that.

While playing USB music in the Model 3 there was one song I was playing that sounded like an old vinyl record with some pops and sputters in the background.
I figured it was in the recording, but when I listened on my PC on headphones I didn't hear the same pops in it. I tried again in the car later and it sounded better the second time.
So, maybe I hit the same problem. It seemed to happen on only one song... I guess I hit "skip forward" to next song when I heard it didn't sound great, so maybe I just (temporarily) fixed the problem by doing that.

Exactly same thing happened to me.

Try muting the sound on your GPS. I believe the complete loss of sound issue it is related to voice guidance. I had lost sound completely once, not even blinkers made noise. Called service and this is what they told me. I rebooted the screen and muted the GPS and have not had the problem since.

I had some issue with not hearing the GPS voice over music, and the volume control button was controlling the GPS voice level, not the music volume like I expected.
Seems like they may have some work to do to sort of volume control between GPS voice and other sounds.

Seems like they may have some work to do to sort of volume control between GPS voice and other sounds.

The S&X work the same way. (As does the recent GM rental I had.) I would try to adjust the GPS volume, but it was done reading before I could get it to the level I wanted and it started adjusting the music again. It just sucks. (And Tesla has that nice big screen that they could put a volume control panel on so you could adjust the music, phone, and navigation levels all in one nice simple to use spot.)

Reactions: Catman20009