Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the 18" rims, if they weren't standard I'd be asking people that call them ugly to send me their set.

As is I'll have mine, be enjoying them, and still have to listen to people bad mouth them.
My impression is that yours is a minority view, although perhaps I'm wrong about that. While I don't particularly like the aero rims, I would live with them since I don't much care about such things; they're going to be covered with mud much of the year anyway. (The 19 inch, low profile, wheels are impractical where I live, so that's not going to happen.)

If I got a 3 — I'm leaning toward another CPO S since I like the S better in pretty much every way except cost — I'd still have to consider an extra set of rims and TPMS valves for use with snow tires. Saves with the hassle of swapping tires twice a year, albeit at considerable extra expense.

Anyone know what good the TPMS are for besides tire pressure monitoring? Are they linked to other systems?

On our 11 Accord, we cannot turn stability control off when the TPMS are missing.

I can do the pressure checking myself.
In the USA they are required by law now, I believe.

What good are they? The TPMS system lets you know that your tire pressure is low before it goes flat. Several years ago I was driving a '96 Jeep Cherokee on I-84 in eastern Oregon at highway speed and blew up a rear tire because it went flat and disintegrated before I realized it. If the car had TPMS I would have seen the warning light and pulled over before the tire went flat and saved it. I put on the spare and kept going, but I ended up having to buy two new tires to match, since the old ones were no longer made. Just my personal experience. Big fan of TPMS.

More choices and I've got a good tire shop nearby. For instance, Michelin PS3 tires for $185 each (235/40 - 18 tires) with attractive wheels (~$180 each wheel) is less than $1500 for the whole set - a whole new set of wheels for cheaper than the $1500 price of the 19" wheel 'upgrade' from Tesla.
And a 45mm offset really opens up the possibilities for wheels, if that's possible for the Model 3.
235/40R19 is the tire mentioned in the Motor Trend article, so I was wrong about the 18" tire size. The info from FlatSix911 is perfect for finding wheels on some sites (like the one for my local tire/wheel store).
Size:
19X8.0″

Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm

235/40R19 is the tire mentioned in the Motor Trend article, so I was wrong about the 18" tire size. The info from FlatSix911 is perfect for finding wheels on some sites (like the one for my local tire/wheel store).
Size: 19X8.0″
Offset: +40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm

I'm planning to get the standard aeros and swap in aftermarket lightweight 18"s as well so if anyone has the specs for the 18's please post them. The tires 18" size is 235/45/18 so probably a 18x8"
There are many more tire choices in 18 (like PSS) than 19 in these sizes if that matters and reduced unsprung weight for even better handling.

In the USA they are required by law now, I believe.

What good are they? The TPMS system lets you know that your tire pressure is low before it goes flat. Several years ago I was driving a '96 Jeep Cherokee on I-84 in eastern Oregon at highway speed and blew up a rear tire because it went flat and disintegrated before I realized it. If the car had TPMS I would have seen the warning light and pulled over before the tire went flat and saved it. I put on the spare and kept going, but I ended up having to buy two new tires to match, since the old ones were no longer made. Just my personal experience. Big fan of TPMS.

Pre TPMS I was driving south in Iowa in a gas car, I had a quarter of a tank of gas and needed less than that to make it where I was going. A while later I look down and have an eighth of a tank (analog gauge, who knows how accurate my recollection is after 15+ years). I think it's odd but even an 1/8th of the tank should get me to the next city. Queue a few minutes later when I run out of gas halfway between two exits. I call for a tow truck and they tow me to the nearest gas station and drive away.

I'm putting gas in and wondering how I could have possibly run out of gas. Still no clue I try to pull away from the gas pump and I'm hearing odd noises, steering is less responsive. I get out and I have a flat tire (rim isn't on the ground yet but it's too flat to drive as is). In the time it took me to put gas in the tire had lost the rest of the air that it had been leaking for the last hour or so. It was leaking air while it was off the ground being towed as well. It was leaking air at some point on my drive doing 60+ or whatever I was doing that day.

Range drops drastically when your tire pressure drops past a certain point. GAS or EV you won't go as far on a tire at 20 psi as you will at 40 psi. Get below 20 psi and your range will be abysmal.

I might never run out of gas again (I don't think I have since) but TPMS could save me from hitting 0% SOC in an EV for the same reason.

Imagine you need 30 miles to get to the next supercharger and your TPMS warning comes on. If you keep driving you'll never make it, if you stop and put air in the tire you might. Worst case you can pull off somewhere with facilities while you wait for road side assistance.

Last edited:
So does the base stripper Model 3 come with power driver's seat? 12 way power seats are part of the PUP, but what comes with the barebones 3? Assuming 4 way manual seat?

I"m almost certain that I've read that the base model comes with "manual" seats - it didn't say more than than. I can't find the link unfortunately. I'd assume that to mean 4 way manual.

Reactions: FlatSix911
So does the base stripper Model 3 come with power driver's seat? 12 way power seats are part of the PUP, but what comes with the barebones 3? Assuming 4 way manual seat?

The Standard Interior has a solid roof, 7 speaker audio system, fabric seating, heated manually adjustable 6-way front seats, center console with open storage.

The Premium interior has UV filtered glass roof, 15 speaker audio system, premium seating materials with a seat heater and USB for every passenger, 12 way power adjustable front seats with customer driver profiles, center console with covered storage, twin phone docks, power adjustable, folding and heated side mirrors, rear fold down arm rest, ambient interior lighting, Homelink for garage door with auto open/close, two years of free data connectivity...

The Standard Interior has a solid roof, 7 speaker audio system, fabric seating, heated manually adjustable 6-way front seats, center console with open storage.

The Premium interior has UV filtered glass roof, 15 speaker audio system, premium seating materials with a seat heater and USB for every passenger, 12 way power adjustable front seats with customer driver profiles, center console with covered storage, twin phone docks, power adjustable, folding and heated side mirrors, rear fold down arm rest, ambient interior lighting, Homelink for garage door with auto open/close, two years of free data connectivity...
I didn't realize that the standard interior has everything I want except the glass roof. You just made my choice a lot harder.

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand

The press kit and FAQ don't mention most of these details. Is this published somewhere or do you have access to a non-public source?

Regarding the seats:

Nothing else in the car is manually adjustable. The steering wheel adjustments and A/C vent adjustments are electronic. Supposedly this made them simpler. It would not surprise me if the standard seats are also electronic, but just less adjustable, and without the driver memory feature. I hate to call this a prediction, but I would not be surprised either way.

Regarding the seats:

Nothing else in the car is manually adjustable. The steering wheel adjustments and A/C vent adjustments are electronic. Supposedly this made them simpler. It would not surprise me if the standard seats are also electronic, but just less adjustable, and without the driver memory feature. I hate to call this a prediction, but I would not be surprised either way.
Nice thought, but I suspect not.

IF a component is electric, then the screen is used instead of knobs and buttons.

Not to be picky, but "ACC" is more usually the acronym for Automatic Climate Control.
The more usual Tesla acronym for the adaptive cruise control is TACC for "Traffic Aware Cruise Control."

Just so folks won't get confused...

I stand corrected. ACC was used for Adaptive Cruise control but I had not remembered that, and it is apparently an industry standard term. My apologies for any confusion. (But I do think people more commonly use TACC for that function when speaking of Tesla's implementation of the adaptive cruise control now.)

I also agree this is enormously useful information, once verified. For now I'll take it as likely supposition.