Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where to put this, but there are some new (to me at least) notes in the Bloomberg article that Elon tweeted out:

The car doesn't have a key, or a key fob. Instead it syncs to your phone through a bluetooth connection and will automatically unlock as you approach.

The Model 3 comes in two battery types: standard and long range. In a break from the past, Tesla wouldn’t disclose the size of its two battery packs. Instead, going forward, the vehicles will be identified by the miles they can drive on a charge, and the cars will lose their exterior badges that indicate battery size and premium performance options. This way, Tesla will get more credit for the efficiency gains it squeezes out of its motors and design, instead of being judged by kilowatt hours alone.

From the outside, a $35,000 Model 3 will look no different than a $57,000 fully loaded version. The company plans to make the same transition with its Model S and Model X platforms later.

For anyone hoping to use the Model 3 as their sole means of transportation, the biggest hang-up might be the trunk opening.

I brought a tape measure with me, and the opening measured 18.5 inches tall and 42 inches at its widest.

The seats of the Model 3 fold completely flat, and with the front seats in their most forward position, the back bed measures an impressive 6 feet 9 inches long (206 cm). This is a car that’s dying to be slept in.

One nice thing about a sunroof (that opens) is you can generally leave it in vent mode so on really hot days heat can rise out of the car when it is parked.

I wonder if Model 3 will have any mode to keep the interior from getting too hot when you have it all locked up... (?)

One nice thing about a sunroof (that opens) is you can generally leave it in vent mode so on really hot days heat can rise out of the car when it is parked.

I wonder if Model 3 will have any mode to keep the interior from getting too hot when you have it all locked up... (?)
Can you still crack a window? or does the car not allow it? No joke, after seeing how many things Tesla is automating on the MS/X, one never knows

I assume it will have the overheat protection in the software just like the S and X do.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I also agree this is enormously useful information, once verified. For now I'll take it as likely supposition.
I really want the glass roof, but an additional $5,000 to get it is a hard pill to swallow. However, if this list of upgrades can be confirmed, it would be a lot more palatable. I normally wouldn't pay extra for these types of luxury/convenience goodies, but since they come with the glass roof, I'm not going to turn them down. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PaulJB and Dragon
"For anyone hoping to use the Model 3 as their sole means of transportation, the biggest hang-up might be the trunk opening.
I brought a tape measure with me, and the opening measured 18.5 inches tall and 42 inches at its widest."

Homelink is embedded into Summon mode -- so should be there for AP2

Trunk -- Anyone have the actual dimensions of the rear trunk -- really would like to have room for two checked bags and carryon space; at 42" wide that's one decent bag and carryon unless the depth is enough to put sideways so the depth is the key when picking up two friends at the airport.

Where do you get heated front seats? There's no mention of that in the Press Kit.
Similarly it mentions "Power-adjustable side mirrors" but not heated.
If the front seats and the mirrors are heated I could skip the PUP and that would be a big deal to me.

It's a nice package, but I really just need the basic heating for winter. If I have to stump up I will, but man, $5k.
FWIW, the Motor Trend article mentioned that the Premium Package adds REAR heated seats:
a Premium (add $5,000), meaning better-grade materials, wood-veneered dash, 12-way front seats, 12-speaker sound, heated rear seats, side-by-side inductive phone chargers, and that panoramic glass ceiling that nevertheless protects like SPF 90 sunscreen.
I presume that all Model 3s will have front heated seats, just as the S does now. Probably no heated mirrors without PUP though. I can't recall my mirrors icing up, is that really a problem in some places?

Crack the windows open. It is one of the few options not enabled through the 15" screen.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911