Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
25,000 mile (40,000 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now about 11 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 52.8 kWh (down 3.3% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 244 miles (down 3.6% from my original post of 253 miles). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

Note that my capacity loss appears to be leveling off, with the most severe decline in range coming between 4,000-5,500 miles on the odometer.

View attachment 834594

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 217 Wh/mi over the life of the car (down from 220 during the 20,000 mile update). Seasonal temps and driving style are HUGE when it comes to the car's efficiency. In the winter I can expect 240+ Wh/mi, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile roundtrip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 52.8 kWh battery at my lifetime average 217 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 243.3 miles.

View attachment 834596

My charging is mostly Level 2 from a Grizzl-E on a 40 amp circuit in my garage. Until recently, I charged at 32 amps, but I started getting unexpected errors that would stop my charging sessions in the middle of the night, so I dropped my charge rate to 24 amps and that seems to have fixed the problem. I charge most nights due to a long commute, typically to about 70-80% a few times per week and a 100% once or twice a week.

Tessie says I've spent $711.33 on electricity for the life of the car, while the same driving in my old Ford Focus would've cost $2,723.42 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 26% compared to keeping my old car. Assuming the average US emissions of 0.85 pounds CO2 per kWh, the 5,928 kWh used while driving equates to 5,038 pounds of CO2 spent driving my Tesla. If I'd kept my 2012 Ford Focus (37mpg), I would've used 685 gallons of gas to travel these 25,358 miles. At about 19 pounds of CO2 per gallon, that would've been 13,015 pounds of CO2. So I'm spewing 39% of the carbon emissions than I would've released in my efficient little Focus. As the grid moves toward more renewables, that should only get better over the life of the car.

ScanMyTesla says I've used 143 charge cycles. LFP batteries are supposedly good for 5,000 cycles before degrading to 80%, so I've used 2.8% of those cycles since I bought the car on 23 Sep 2021. I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but at this rate, the car *should* last longer than I do.

View attachment 834606

I'll try to post another update at 30,000 miles. That should be when we're getting nice fall weather, so I'm betting my average Wh/mi will be even lower.
We got our cars about the same time. I only have 11k miles. My full charge is also down to 244 miles (from 253). This may be natural calendar aging of LFP.

ScanMyTesla said my full capacity now is 52.6 kWh (55.1 when new). Lifetime efficiency is 209 Wh/mi.

I used to charge to 100% until I go below 20%. Two times I hit 4%. I stopped charging to 100% a few weeks ago due to the fact I park without shade at work (95% SOC arrival).

Reactions: Baluchi
Good info. I've always wondered how does SMT determine what mileage is a discharge cycle? When you do the math, it's 186miles/cycle. Presumably they have to include transmission inefficiency and non-driving usage. And why are there 7 more charge cycles than discharge cycles? Shouldn't it be 1 more charge than discharge, or is that also due to non-driving usage?
I've wondered the same, which is why I take those numbers with a big grain of salt.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
In 8 months and 6400 miles, my M3 LFP range has dropped from 272 to 269, a mere 1%. It is often charged to 100%.

By contrast, in the first 6400 miles, my 2020 MY dropped from 316 to 296 (and this included the SW range bump to 326 during this time). That's over 6% in the same distance, 9% of you account for the range bump. This is with much attention given to the battery health, rarely charging above 80%.

My M3 can be daily charged to have a range of 269 miles. The highest I can daily charge my AWD MY is 90%. With my current max charge of 294 miles, that equates to 265 miles.

That's right... on a typical day, my M3 LFP has more range than my long range MY. Even if I push my MY to 100%, it's range (per battery gauge) is only 25 miles higher. The LFP battery is fantastic!

Last edited:
It will be great if LFP can get to the same energy density of NCA. Would be great to have a safer, longer lasting, easier to manage battery without the ~200lbs weight penalty.

It's not been well publicised this one, LMFP is a thing now, adds between 20 to 25% energy density over LFP, and sounds like it could be in production Tesla's soon. The manganese doping achieves a higher cell voltage more similar to NCA, while still maintaining most of LFP advantages; longevity, safety and cost. Pity about the name of this new CATL battery, the 'M3P' as that will be very confusing.

From all the research I can tell - the best practices for LFP aging are:

Calendar aging: Store at low SoC as possible and cool temperature. High temperatures are even worse for LFP calendar aging than NCA. 70% SoC is a threshold for faster degradation while providing good practicality.
Cycle aging: LFP is incredibly resistant to cycle aging factors - with one major caveat: high current at freezing temps. Luckily software should handle this properly for both discharge and charging. LFP seems indifferent to supercharging and DoD (high-C/supercharging might even be the preferred charging mode).

Based on this, calendar aging will likely be the primary aging factor of LFP. At 4000 cycles, these are technically "million mile batteries", but this is way overkill and it's pretty unlikely to get anywhere close to this limit with the average US driver putting on 15k miles a year. However, it definitely has the potential to last 20 yrs which is on par with reliable ICE cars. LMFP which potentially sacrifices some cycle life for increased energy density would definitely be welcome here.

As for BMS calibration thoughts - the BMS likely can calibrate around either 100% and <10% SoC since that's where voltages change rapidly. Once it has a guidepost at either point, it can count the energy charged or discharged to estimate battery percent in the midrange. Cycling between 20-80% like "conventional wisdom" is worst case scenario because you're operating purely on the flat voltage curve and any inaccuracies in metering will eventually result in BMS drift.

Obviously, it's much simpler and user-friendly to charge to 100% regularly as opposed to discharging to 0%. However my educated guess here is that either approach would serve to calibrate the battery.

My 2021 SR+ is showing 5.4% battery degradation (usable capacity 50.7 kWh) after 16,000 miles, according to Tessie. Seems a bit disappointing to me at least. I used to get the rated 263 miles per charge, now I'm down to 247 to 249-ish.
I had 9% at 16k miles with my 2020 MY NCA battery. The good news is that I'm at 34k miles, and it hasn't degraded any further. The BMS doesn't do a good job of consistently showing the true degradation.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
And this thread is not about the NCA battery it is about the LFP, different animals.
Ooops, I clicked the wrong thread. Meant to click on this: