Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ losing range while parked (29 KMs per 12 hrs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe cabin overheat protection is definitely required, it protects all the electronics and battery when cabin temps reaxh certain thresholds of min -20 and Max 40 degree Celsius. So this is definitely required and I don't think advisable to be turned off.

Many of us got along quite well for many years before this feature was released with no ill effect, even in places much much hotter than Toronto. The “protect the electronics” aspect is purely speculation - the feature is advertised and intended to protect humans, not computers.

I mean, by all means, use it if you want - I doubt it’s a significant energy drain in your locale. But I think “required” is a pretty high bar without a lot of support. Me, I find it to be a fantastic waste of energy and have gotten by for 2.5 years now with some good tint and a sunshade.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
@darth_vad3r although the threads on vampire drain are relevant to this OPs question, I would hesitate to call the loss of range through cabin overheat protection or sentry mode "vampire" drain... simply because we know what it is. Its not unknown. Its just "drain". With that being said, the threads on vampire drain would give this OP a lot of information if they were interested in the subject of what causes drain on their car, which from the OP post they are.

They are all unknown until you know what they are :) ... and all the threads cover both Sentry and COP and more paranoid feature disabling :)

I personally would consider “vampire drain” to be any drain while parked (known and unknown causes) and “phantom drain” to be attributable to unknown causes.

I’d be fine if someone said “I get X miles of vampire drain in Y hours if I leave Sentry mode on”.

To me it just indicates drain while not driving.