Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you can't get an estimate of how many miles remain, how can you determine when to get to your next charger if it is 150 miles away?

Gas cars don't give a guestimate of how many miles remain. The navigation system does a good job of getting us to our destinations with charging stops... but it never needs to quote "miles remaining" to do that.

Reactions: rpiotro
I don't care if it's "quite normal", IMO a 17% loss at 13,644 miles is quite bullsh!t... When they advertise an EV, they should advertise it with real world, perhaps, worst case scenario, range numbers, so people aren't duped into thinking they will get anywhere near the advertised range.. I didn't get 240 when it was new. I pity the folks that bought a straight SR, they're likely only getting 180 miles of range at 100% charge.
17% loss seems like way too much. That's probably a BMS calibration transient problem than real degradation in most cases. That can be helped by repeatedly let it sit (no sentry, and no cabin overheat) to do a deep sleep at a number of different SOC levels.

I'm following the recommendations found elsewhere on this forum on calendar aging (charge limit 50% max most days, though I charge to 98-100% for a few road trips), and have minimal degradation in 10 months, ~2.7%

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
17% loss seems like way too much. That's probably a BMS calibration transient problem than real degradation in most cases. That can be helped by repeatedly let it sit (no sentry, and no cabin overheat) to do a deep sleep at a number of different SOC levels.

I'm following the recommendations found elsewhere on this forum on calendar aging (charge limit 50% max most days, though I charge to 98-100% for a few road trips), and have minimal degradation in 10 months, ~2.7%
You do have a 2022 vehicle and technological improvement is relentless. You even have different 2170L cells.!

This sort of range loss is very common particularly with the early (2019/2020) SR+ vehicles.

Could it “recover” 3-5% and have 12% loss in reality? Sure. But I would keep expectations low. I’ve seen many people cycle their packs to no avail.

Keeping SOC low seems like a good idea. My car is back up to estimating 300 miles at 100%, up from 285-290 (after many software changes and keeping it at 55% SOC)! On the other hand, as soon as I charge it up, it immediately loses 8 rated miles (shown as standby losses on the energy screen which occur when the car is sleeping). So maybe it is actually 292? Hard to say without using it.

It is a good strategy for Tesla to display very high rated miles at 100% and then just remove them when you aren’t looking though! Haha, problem solved. Unfortunately they provide the Energy Screen tracking now. Probably a different group.

Anyway no big deal.

Last edited:
Having gas station ubiquity wasn't always the case. When I started driving, 24hr gas stations were still pretty rare. Thanks to 7-11, the idea of 24hr convenience stores and gas pumps became common. Still, I remember driving from Maine to Baltimore, in college, and pulling off I-95, hoping the gas station was open! Doesn't seem all that long ago, then again, I'm 60 now, so I guess it's been a while.

Then again, even 15 yrs ago, I used to drive to my 2nd home down by Cape Hatteras, and when you get on the DelMarVa peninsula, gas stations weren't necessarily open late at night, when I liked to drive.

The great thing about superchargers is that they're always open, so we have that issue of whether the convenience store with gas pumps is open already solved.

The current issue is ubiquity, and for Tesla owners, that is becoming less and less of an issue. It's still a big issue for non-Tesla EVs. Once that happens in the next decade, BEV range will become less of a thing.

I remember a college buddy who'd extol the virtues of his VW Jetta/Passat diesel and being able to drive 600-700 miles, between stops. That's no longer an advantage once gas/diesel stations were everywhere and open 24/7. The same will happen when superchargers are everywhere.

Anyhow, I went skiing today, and the mountain I go to has destination chargers. They were occupied today, but the week before, I got there and juiced up 50%! At current supercharger rates, that's almost $20 of electrons! Where can you get $20 of free gas? Do I feel bad for the ski resort? Not really, they rake you over the coals with lift ticket prices, nowadays, over $150 walkup! Then again, I only pay $50 on my Ikon Pass.

I wish Tesla never displayed miles remaining and only ever displayed percentage. That would resolve this issue for more users.

2035 is a long way off. There could be more fast DC chargers than gas stations by then.
I'll bet you a Coke that by Jan 1, 2035 there are still less DC chargers than gas stations. The need for hybrids alone will keep a lot of gas stations open. And the electrical requirement for all these supposed BEVs is nowhere on the horizon. Average time to build a nuclear power plant is 100 months. That's over 8 years *once you've decided to build it*, which many people are dead set against, even with newer, safer designs.

Non-nuke plants may take less time, but are going to be increasingly more unpopular politically since they use fossil fuels in some form, which means they're likely to be made more expensive in order to reduce their use and thus lessen their contribution to global warming.

So if you can't get an estimate of how many miles remain, how can you determine when to get to your next charger if it is 150 miles away?
You input your destination in the navigation (even if you know where you’re going) because that will give you the most accurate range estimate by accounting for speed and elevation etc and will plan our charging accordingly.

The range number by the battery icon is not reliable at all and only reflects perfect conditions. If you rely on that number to manually plan your charging, you are more likely to get stranded with a dead battery.

The projected range in the Energy app is more accurate than the battery icon range but it only estimates range based on historical consumption and does not know how the rest of your route will be.

Reactions: BillN and Mr. Nuke
This is a real problem with EVs. Not only less range but false mileage, I lose about 29 miles per day from where I start.
leave home with 189 miles, drive to work and back 120 miles, get home with 40ish miles.
Lots of people with ICEVs get worse than rated mileage due to driving habits and patterns. In many cases, the same drivers would get worse than rated mileage in EVs.

Reactions: rpiotro
It already does at a highly accurate level. It is called the energy app. Now an option to use an energy app like approach to displaying the estimated remaining miles i.e. last 15 or 30 mile average as opposed to the EPA numbers on the main screen, I could get behind that. But again the data is already fairly accessible.
Other EVs use that estimated remaining range based on recent driving as the main range indicator. On other EV forums, it is often called a guess-o-meter. But there are still questions from drivers who have difficulty understanding the varying numbers it shows at the same charge level (based on the most recent driving).

Some ICEVs have a similar distance-to-empty display that varies based on how economical recent driving was.