Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Steering Wheel Very Hard to Give Feedback for Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anybody having an issue where their steering wheel is too hard to steer and autopilot nags and requires much more pressure steering than usual? This materializes as slight steering works on other cars but on mine it requires much more force to keep autopilot going. Is this something that service could help with?

Is anybody having an issue where their steering wheel is too hard to steer and autopilot nags and requires much more pressure steering than usual? This materializes as slight steering works on other cars but on mine it requires much more force to keep autopilot going. Is this something that service could help with?
For autopilot you don't have to turn the wheel, just turn the left scroll button up or down a notch. (It also works with the right scroll button, but that changes your speed).
What Steering Mode is your profile set to (Controls > Driving > Steering Mode)?

Reactions: AutoRocket
For autopilot you don't have to turn the wheel, just turn the left scroll button up or down a notch. (It also works with the right scroll button, but that changes your speed).
What Steering Mode is your profile set to (Controls > Driving > Steering Mode)?
Sport--but I'm actually asking on behalf of my uncle's car. We both have set to sport and mine is much easier to apply side pressure for AP.

Why is the older software better and why is it better to need more force?
@AutoRocket When there's too much power assist you can't feel how loaded the front tires are in a turn, or when they're starting to lose grip.

Heavier steering is not always better, at some point you don't need any more heft to have good steering feel and further heft just becomes unnecessary extra work. But too light is really bad for anyone who likes to drive their car hard and approach its limits.

With the old Model 3 software I actually preferred Standard over Sport, I felt like Sport was beyond that point, it was extra hefty without extra feel vs Standard.

Now even Sport is too light. The new steering is worst at low speeds. It's like the power assist is cranked way up at low speeds. Feels extremely unnatural, whereas before it felt like the level of assist was pretty constant, such that the steering naturally got lighter at higher speeds.

In sweeping high speed turns Sport still has enough heft left for good feel (but lighter than before!), however tight in low speed turns like hairpins it's pretty bad now. :(

Btw I have no issue with modern cars that have adjustable power assist including an overboosted steering option, for those who just drive casually and prefer parking with their pinky over having decent steering feel. But the car already had that, Comfort mode. It's beyond frustrating that Tesla neutered the Standard and Sport modes.

@AutoRocket When there's too much power assist you can't feel how loaded the front tires are in a turn, or when they're starting to lose grip.

Heavier steering is not always better, at some point you don't need any more heft to have good steering feel and further heft just becomes unnecessary extra work. But too light is really bad for anyone who likes to drive their car hard and approach its limits.

With the old Model 3 software I actually preferred Standard over Sport, I felt like Sport was beyond that point, it was extra hefty without extra feel vs Standard.

Now even Sport is too light. The new steering is worst at low speeds. It's like the power assist is cranked way up at low speeds. Feels extremely unnatural, whereas before it felt like the level of assist was pretty constant, such that the steering naturally got lighter at higher speeds.

In sweeping high speed turns Sport still has enough heft left for good feel (but lighter than before!), however tight in low speed turns like hairpins it's pretty bad now. :(
They’re on 2022.4.5.3 btw

I don’t think this is the issue I’m talking about. Their autopilot requires a ton of force to register as still awake and staying on.