Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 TPMS sensors are junk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is high. If the tire pressure is supposed to be 45 psi the warning shouldn't even go off till it's at 33-34. This problem is even worse for those of us at higher altitude because the TPMS reads low.

The FMVSS is the lowest allowable/ must warn level, also specifies a time limit for 20 minutes to initially alert on a 1 psi lower than 75% of placard level. (thump thump thump on a real flat) OEMs can set the threshold to a faster/ more conservative/ more fuel efficient/ more annoying level.

So this is what I had for the first six miles of my drive this morning, finally they did clear, but this is still bogus in my opinion. The car is putting a low pressure warning out right on the 39-40 psi bubble and that's absurd if the standard tire pressure is 45 psi.

View attachment 342475
Ya, I had the same last night, cold, so threw up warning at 38, but tires warmed up and psi shot up to 40/41 and it did not clear until my next time out.... I also wish the app gave TPMS status, my Chevy Volt did, come on Tesla, you are better than this... LOL

perhaps you need a road trip to Fremont (and sea level) to properly calibrate? :D

Seriously, though, why not schedule an appt with the SC and if you are lucky, the'll send out a mobile service to swap the sensors out.

fwiw: I picked up my M3 in April, but the first cold spell (in SoCal) when temps dropped into the 70's, I got the pressure warnings on the display screen. I used my old analog temp gauge ($15) and pumped up the air. Now, the display screen and TPMS sensors are within 1 (pressure) of each other. Close enough.

fwiw: I picked up my M3 in April, but the first cold spell (in SoCal) when temps dropped into the 70's, I got the pressure warnings on the display screen. I used my old analog temp gauge ($15) and pumped up the air. Now, the display screen and TPMS sensors are within 1 (pressure) of each other. Close enough.

You have it easy, you're at sea level :)
If all 4 sensors read the same on the display, and on the handheld gauge (even if different than the gauge), the issue is the car software is not applying the correct altitude ambient air pressure compensation. TPMS sensors only deal in absolute pressure.

Model S and X allows you to reset TPMS. Are you unable to in the model 3?

I may me wrong but per the manual, the TPMS reset relearns the sensors when tires are swapped, or allows switching between OEM tire options due to different pressures. It does not appear to allow any changing of the pressure target beyond that.

From the S:
Resetting the TPMS Sensors

After replacing one or more wheels (but not after replacing a tire or rotating wheels), the TPMS sensors need to be reset to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate. On newer versions of Model S, the TPMS sensors are reset automatically after driving over 15 mph (25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes. But for older versions, follow these steps:

1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the door pillar.

2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Tire Pressure Monitor > Reset Sensors.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions.Caution: Selecting the incorrect wheel size may result in false tire pressure warnings. If a tire pressure warning displays, exit the vehicle, close the rear trunk and all doors, wait for the touchscreen to go black, then reenter the vehicle and ensure that the correct wheel size is selected before touching Reset Sensors.

Note: On some older versions of Model S, when changing to 21" wheels, the TPMS may generate false tire pressure warnings. Bring Model S to a Tesla Service Center for further adjustment.

Warning: Do not reset the TPMS sensors in an attempt to clear tire pressure warnings.

I was having the same problem as the original poster, with a persistent warning triggering at as high as 40psi. Started when the weather turned a colder in the mornings. Went away with 39.7.

I've seen a few people mention that the warnings aren't happening or aren't as sensitive in newer software releases but that hasn't been my experience.

I recently bought a new, pretty high end digital tire gauge and inflator. Set all four tires to 41 PSI. A week later temps dipped into the teens and the car showed tires at 37-38 PSI and low tire pressure alarms were active on at least one tire.

I hooked the tire gauge back up and the tires are at 40.5 PSI.

So the TPMS thinks tires at 37 and the expensive gauge shows they are at 40.5.

Tesla needs to fix this. The car has GPS and knows what altitude it is at all the time, there is no reason it can't calibrate the TPMS sensors properly for altitude, it's trivial.

For general reference when actively working with tires: the TPMS sensors do not stream data continuously. Data comes out about one a minute when the tre is spinning, one (a few?) packets if there is a sudden large pressure change, or rarely (minutes between data points) if the tire is stationary.

I've seen a few people mention that the warnings aren't happening or aren't as sensitive in newer software releases but that hasn't been my experience.

I recently bought a new, pretty high end digital tire gauge and inflator. Set all four tires to 41 PSI. A week later temps dipped into the teens and the car showed tires at 37-38 PSI and low tire pressure alarms were active on at least one tire.

I hooked the tire gauge back up and the tires are at 40.5 PSI.

So the TPMS thinks tires at 37 and the expensive gauge shows they are at 40.5.

Tesla needs to fix this. The car has GPS and knows what altitude it is at all the time, there is no reason it can't calibrate the TPMS sensors properly for altitude, it's trivial.

My cars TPMS reads about 2 lbs lower than my tire guage.