Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in DC blows as well. Drivers are a perfect combination of aggressive a-holes and terrible skills. All using a turn signal in busy highway traffic does here is ensure you will never be able to change lanes because nobody ever ever lets you in, and if they see your signal on they’ll know you would like to change lanes, take it as a personal affront, and speed up to close any possible gap you could utilize. You seriously have to start drifting in as one car goes by, practially hitting the side of their car, so that the next car is not given the chance to speed up and cut you off. Effing hate driving here.

Continuing the off topic banter, clearly none of you have driven in the Boston area. I’ve spent more time here lately and used to laugh when people called the drivers here Massholes. Unfortunately, the drivers earned that label and the locals I’ve met either 1) wear it like a badge of honor or 2) admit it is true. As a group, they are the most aggressive drivers I’ve seen. They make driving in DC look like child’s play. 80 MPH in the right lane in a 55, passing on the right is standard, what turn signals, and the classy move of speeding up to close the gap between cars after you put on the turn signal for a lane change.

Had ours fixed today by Mobile Service. He said it should fix the problem we have occasionally had getting it to shift into reverse or drive (with no "tap the card" message, though we've had that too). He thought some supplier would be refunding Tesla a lot of money for this.

Our old car (a MINI) had the same turn signal operation so we were well used to it before the 3. It was very frustrating to have it latch on when we only wanted three blinks or do three blinks when we wanted it to latch. And trying to cancel a latched signal using a partial left press frequently gave an embarrassing three left blinks. Clearly not how it was supposed to operate. Now everything works like the manual describes.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee
I still don't have an appointment to get this fixed, presumably because they are waiting for the part. Will ask the mobile tech for the part number if he ever gets here ...
Just as an update: the mobile tech finally came by and fixed my turn signal today. I also got the 1097662-00-L revision of the part that was mentioned by others. Took him about an hour to exchange the part and run some calibration tests (he also pushed firmware 46.2 to my car again even though I had updated to that version just yesterday). Works fine now.

• Informative
I just had my turn signal fixed by replacing the steering column control module. When I got my car back I noticed that the steering wheel seems off center. Do they remove the steering wheel? Has anyone else noticed this?

IIRC from people who have had this issue, it should calibrate itself after a bit of driving. If it doesn't, call support. It might require a quick service visit to fix.

IIRC from people who have had this issue, it should calibrate itself after a bit of driving. If it doesn't, call support. It might require a quick service visit to fix.
Wait... the steering wheel will calibrate? I cannot imagine that there's anything to calibrate in the steering wheel. The wheel is attached to the column the same way as any other car. And alignment is done the same way as any other car.

Does the steering wheel have to be removed to re-align or is is software adjustable?
The steering wheel position is determined mechanically by alignment of the front wheels. The steering wheel needs to be held straight when the front wheels are (again, mechanically and manually) adjusted for alignment. The steering wheel sits on splines, and has no adjustment of its own. I can't imagine how the steering wheel could be knocked out of adjustment when the control module is replaced. I'm at a loss on that one!

At least that's how I understand things, and would be thrilled to wrong, and to hear that we can adjust the steering wheel to point exactly straight if it is slightly off (as mine is... though service has told me that it is within their specs... like my panel gaps. :)

Wait... the steering wheel will calibrate? I cannot imagine that there's anything to calibrate in the steering wheel. The wheel is attached to the column the same way as any other car. And alignment is done the same way as any other car.

That why I started my post with "IIRC"... ;) I've updated it.

The latest thread on it is here. And you're correct. It was two different issues and I got them confused.

One was the steering wheel was off-center which required remounting and adjusting the steering wheel. The other was apparently due to an alignment issue. However, many folks were told by service folks in both instances in the past that the "car would fix itself" after driving a bit. Which after more experience with information coming from service folks... is/was probably a load of bollocks. ;)

That why I started my post with "IIRC"... ;) I've updated it.

The latest thread on it is here. And you're correct. It was two different issues and I got them confused.

One was the steering wheel was off-center which required remounting and adjusting the steering wheel. The other was apparently due to an alignment issue. However, many folks were told by service folks in both instances in the past that the "car would fix itself" after driving a bit. Which after more experience with information coming from service folks... is/was probably a load of bollocks. ;)
Got it.

Points for using bollocks so appropriately. Yeah... I have yet to experience this "self fixing" bit for poor alignment. Wouldn't that be grand?

Whoops. I'm dumb. Just looked at my service notes I posted from a few pages back in this thread with what part # they replaced with.

It's Rev L. Rev K was the "bad" one and Rev L is the "good" one.

Hey guys just wanted to follow up on this one. My left blinker failed soon after delivery late November. Set up home service to replace it, the guy did the work yesterday. The defective one we pulled was Rev L....the new one we put in was....you guessed it, Rev L.

So far so good, it works.

Hey guys just wanted to follow up on this one. My left blinker failed soon after delivery late November. Set up home service to replace it, the guy did the work yesterday. The defective one we pulled was Rev L....the new one we put in was....you guessed it, Rev L.

So far so good, it works.
Did they replace the turn signal or the steering wheel control module?