Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 type 2 cable length

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone who has a model 3 know how long the included blue type 2 cable is?
Also probably a silly question but could you use it to extend the reach of the Tesla UMC by plugging it between the car and the UMC as it has a male and female end?
Thanks

Yep. Just picked mine up and just plugged it in.
I haven't measured it, but would guess at around 3/4 metres.

Can't comment on your other question, I don't understand it properly enough to reply (I am stupid, sorry ;p)

Does anyone who has a model 3 know how long the included blue type 2 cable is?
Also probably a silly question but could you use it to extend the reach of the Tesla UMC by plugging it between the car and the UMC as it has a male and female end?
Thanks
Mine was 4m, and you can't daisy chain type 2 cables together, you need a dedicated extension cable.

We were delivered with what packaging says is a 4m type 2 lead. I've not opened it just in case it is too short for our typical uses.

What are peoples experiences with a 4m lead? Is it long enough for general use?

Car is apparently 4.9m long so its not long enough to nose in/diagonal park. Its 1.9m wide, so theoretically it should be long enough to do one side of car to the other if charger is on drivers side, but without taking much notice of public chargers until now, how well does it reach side to side, ie without dragging across car like a petrol pump.

This is an example of my concern - when barriers have gone, obs. Large sterile zone around the charger, with 4 parking bays around. Not sure of 4m cable reach to far left, near right bays.

480391.jpg

What are peoples experiences with a 4m lead? Is it long enough for general use?

I have a 7m type2 cable (as supplied standard by Tesla at the time). Nearly always, it's too long and loops of cable sit on the floor. I've more than once used the extra length when I've parked at one of a row of chargepoints and found the one I've picked is faulty but the extra long cable reaches the next one along.

The one case I can remember that I actually needed the length was a 2-socket chargepoint between two bays, in a 1-way street. The front bay was already occupied, and to get the back end of the car near the chargepoint I'd have needed to turn around and face against the traffic; instead, I parked facing forwards and ran the cable the full length of the car. I don't think a 4m cable would have reached.

I think the Tesco site in your photo would probably be just about OK, as you've only got 1.5 car widths to cross (and you could park close to the post).

So I'd say that 4m is enough for all normal circumstances. Obviously you'll kick yourself if you ever do get in that rare case that it's needed, but unless you plan on using a lot of public AC charging probably not worth spending the extra money.

Actual chargepoints to use a Type2 are normally at least positioned to suit a car - I've much more often exploited my 10m of extra cable on my 13A plug charging.

Reactions: MrBadger
I have a 7m type2 cable (as supplied standard by Tesla at the time). Nearly always, it's too long and loops of cable sit on the floor. I've more than once used the extra length when I've parked at one of a row of chargepoints and found the one I've picked is faulty but the extra long cable reaches the next one along.

The one case I can remember that I actually needed the length was a 2-socket chargepoint between two bays, in a 1-way street. The front bay was already occupied, and to get the back end of the car near the chargepoint I'd have needed to turn around and face against the traffic; instead, I parked facing forwards and ran the cable the full length of the car. I don't think a 4m cable would have reached.

I think the Tesco site in your photo would probably be just about OK, as you've only got 1.5 car widths to cross (and you could park close to the post).

So I'd say that 4m is enough for all normal circumstances. Obviously you'll kick yourself if you ever do get in that rare case that it's needed, but unless you plan on using a lot of public AC charging probably not worth spending the extra money.

Actual chargepoints to use a Type2 are normally at least positioned to suit a car - I've much more often exploited my 10m of extra cable on my 13A plug charging.

Was it a model s or model X which came with 7m cable?

Was it a model s or model X which came with 7m cable?

Model S. But I think they were supplying them with Model X too for a while. Supplied cables have changed over time - I got the Type2 but I didn't get a UMC, later people just got the UMC, and at some times they got both.

Looks like the new standard is the (cheaper) UMC Mk2 plus 4m Type2. Certainly the new UMC seems to be standard across 3/S/X; possibly the S/X still get the longer Type2 as a luxury feature, though I suspect they don't.

I picked up my Model 3 on Monday, but didn’t have a blue cable supplied...have I missed something?!

I need a type 2 connector to fit the attached... is there an adapter that fits the universal Tesla cable that come with the car? (3 pin & blue commando). Don’t want 4 different cables if I can avoid it...

P.S. great car!

Attachments

• 9FC31BD3-AE10-45B7-B2D3-55EDFC21F77D.jpeg
    9FC31BD3-AE10-45B7-B2D3-55EDFC21F77D.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 458
I picked up my Model 3 on Monday, but didn’t have a blue cable supplied...have I missed something?!

I need a type 2 connector to fit the attached... is there an adapter that fits the universal Tesla cable that come with the car? (3 pin & blue commando). Don’t want 4 different cables if I can avoid it...

P.S. great car!

I’d get them to order you one from somewhere else if they are out of stock as it’s ridiculous not to include one

P.S. great car!

You should have received a 4m long Type 2 to Type 2 cable as well as the black Tesla bag containing the 'granny' cable and plugs.

I attach a photo of what was supplied with mine (good quality, by the way)

You have obviously had an unacceptable delivery experience in the rush to achieve quarterly sales figures.
IMG_1232.jpeg