Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 w/FSD Trade-in Value Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 Performance with <2k miles on it. Thinking of trading in to Tesla for a Model Y; however, when Tesla came back with an online trade-in value calculation, my $65k new Tesla 6 months old (<2k miles) is now only worth $52k. Seems very excessive loss in value. Wondering if Tesla does not include FSD value in their trade-in calculation?? Anyone else have experience with FSD trade-in values? Would be nice if Tesla allowed us to transfer a new (<1 year old) FSD to a new model purchase....

I have a Model 3 Performance with <2k miles on it. Thinking of trading in to Tesla for a Model Y; however, when Tesla came back with an online trade-in value calculation, my $65k new Tesla 6 months old (<2k miles) is now only worth $52k. Seems very excessive loss in value. Wondering if Tesla does not include FSD value in their trade-in calculation?? Anyone else have experience with FSD trade-in values? Would be nice if Tesla allowed us to transfer a new (<1 year old) FSD to a new model purchase....

Sounds about right especially with the used car market tanking from COVID. You could try CarMax but Tesla will not match anyone else’s offer so know that going in.

I’d call the number on your quote and ask about FSD. Honestly the market for the option is limited, the fact is it makes it harder to sell. Used car shoppers shop price, when it comes up on a list most will ignore it since it’s at least 10% more expensive then all the others on the list. Since it’s a software setting I’d ask the question about transferring it to a Y. If they allow that and don’t drop the trade in value by much it’s a good compromise.

In this situation you need to bag the online dealing and talk to a human being.

...Since it’s a software setting I’d ask the question about transferring it to a Y. If they allow that and don’t drop the trade in value by much it’s a good compromise...

FSD is not transferable. I’d say “when” it becomes even more useable it’ll be worth it. If you bought it for less than the $8K then you’ve “made money” if you’re able to sell the car for what you owe/want.

To the OP, you can try private party but thats always a crapshoot.

a brand-new Model 3P starts currently at $55k. Used car buyers likely won't value FSD even remotely as much as you did when you bought new. Tesla is factoring that in.

FSD is not transferable. I’d say “when” it becomes even more useable it’ll be worth it. If you bought it for less than the $8K then you’ve “made money” if you’re able to sell the car for what you owe/want.

To the OP, you can try private party but thats always a crapshoot.

adding $$$ options to a car is always a sure way to get substantially less back than what you paid

Almost two years ago, I wanted to upgrade to an M3P, so I asked for tradein values on my 3 LR RWD, and my Dad's nearly identical one. Tesla offered a few thousand more for mine...presumably because mine had Enhanced Autopilot, and my Dad's didn't have autopilot at all.

However, Tesla changes things all the time. And it's certainly true that the value of the car to Tesla doesn't depend on whether you paid for FSD or not. So who knows. I would love to see the FSD option be assigned to an owner and portable between cars, but AFAIK Tesla has never shown any interest in that model.

I have never traded in a Tesla...I've always done better selling them on my own.

Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz