Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question - I record this information manually while sitting at the SC. Do any of the third party programs record trip based stats like this that could “automate” this recording process?
Tezlab also provides stats on trips, etc. I used it for a while, but its discouraging to have all my trips at 60-70% efficiency so I stopped. Also, I think I'm a bit burned out from tracking EV stats. I carried a notebook with me for 5 years with my volt and recorded various parameters like efficiency, voltage levels in the battery, trip stats and when I used gas in an effort to track battery degradation.....and I never saw any :)

EV tracking to me is now kind of like self directed investing: at the beginning you are all gung ho and look at penny stocks and day trading, until you realize all the extra time you spend reading/buying/selling doesn't really justify the extra effort it takes vs just putting money into something relatively 'safe' and forgetting about it. That way you have more time to enjoy life....same with EV tracking (for me at least)...now I just drive and enjoy the car :)

The speeds make a material difference. I would have thought that Belleville to Cornwall should be an easy stretch, and maybe in the summer it will be, but it is very hairy in the winter - and charging up to 90% takes quite a while even at the SC.

Belleville to Cornwall is definitely easier outside winter. Just to see if it was possible I did Belleville to Montreal nonstop in October. Charged to 100%. Ended up using 92%. It was about 12C outside.

Charging to 90% is not that bad if battery is warm. Less than an hour from empty. Charging to 100% is insane though almost as long to go from 90 to 100 as charging to 90% in the first place.

Tezlab also provides stats on trips, etc. I used it for a while, but its discouraging to have all my trips at 60-70% efficiency so I stopped. Also, I think I'm a bit burned out from tracking EV stats. I carried a notebook with me for 5 years with my volt and recorded various parameters like efficiency, voltage levels in the battery, trip stats and when I used gas in an effort to track battery degradation.....and I never saw any :)

EV tracking to me is now kind of like self directed investing: at the beginning you are all gung ho and look at penny stocks and day trading, until you realize all the extra time you spend reading/buying/selling doesn't really justify the extra effort it takes vs just putting money into something relatively 'safe' and forgetting about it. That way you have more time to enjoy life....same with EV tracking (for me at least)...now I just drive and enjoy the car :)

I guess I'm at the beginning of the data hype ;) - I rather enjoy it as a daily 50 step walk to the house meter. Any exercise is better than none. Have to replace that walk to the Gas station store while the car fills up :D

• Funny
Reactions: pcons
Temps warmed up to 18C today and I was on my 19” TSportline TST wheels with Nokian R3’s with 43 psi and climate control at 20C. Drove at about 5-10 km/h above posted rates and surprisingly got about 180Wh/km with about 60km of driving.

Way better than the 230Wh/km over the winter when temps were between -10C to 5C. Will be interesting to see what the energy usage is as I just swapped out the wheels back to the 20” stock Stiletto wheels and it should be close to 20C in the next 3 days.

Made a chart to show the effects of cold temperatures - evident as the temperatures dropped from Autumn to Winter.
upload_2019-3-18_13-0-46.png

Here is the details.
Model 3 AWD Performance
Driving 110 KM/H for the distance.
Distance - 407 Mississauga Road to 400 Major Mackenzie
Temperature - 2 Celsius Outside.
Tires: 19" Rims with Winter Tires.
Internal - Heated Seat off and No AC/Heat on.

IMG_3458.jpg

I see people with much lower stats. Do I need to change settings on the car to lower WH/km reading or is this normal for the conditions I am in.

Thanks in Advance.
Steve

Last edited:
Here is the details.
Model 3 AWD Performance

View attachment 395963

I see people with much lower stats. Do I need to change settings on the car to lower WH/km reading or is this normal for the conditions I am in.

Thanks in Advance.
Steve

It’s the temperature, I think. Same trip in summer would look a lot better.

Here is the details.
Model 3 AWD Performance

View attachment 395963

Thanks in Advance.
Steve
Also need to know the wind speed. Headwind or tailwind.
It is all about the drag....

I drove from downtown Toronto to Oakville tonight. 3 degrees c. Heat on 20. Due to traffic averaged 70km/h but was going about 125-130 when I could. According to teslafi got 171 wh/km. Might have been higher on the car's touchscreen but almost certainly below 200.
I have AWD non performance and just switched back to all seasons.

Lowest I've gotten for that is 125 wh/km in the opposite direction in October at 11c outside and no heat on.

Highest I got is 278 wh/km at -16c with heat on 20.

Both according to teslafi. Might differ from what car shows.

Here is the details.
Model 3 AWD Performance

View attachment 395963

Thanks in Advance.
Steve
Totally normal given the temp, your speed, the elevation change and the 19" tires. It will get better as it gets warmer. Accelerating less aggressively will help, but it's less fun.... Just enjoy the car and don't worry too much about stats. You have more than enough range to have fun ;)

Reactions: McCaesar