Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carrier tie down protection?

xvaa1bZ2YF0eCi-UMjYjH0QFSToKi0b0qQQ80SEr5bhLChuCRVmQFLICMojujRGNbBO5YhowoNm2pRzpCht946jNZ_VxAtvembX2lOSW0ZFpCXELuGr-jQAT_fbDokKCUcIjwdw=w851-h638-no

Tesla obtains design patents on Model 3 wheels

CGI models of the standard, aero, and one other type of wheel.

My guess is that only standard and aero will be available at launch, because those are the only ones that have been spotted on release candidate vehicles.

Now we learn Tesla has obtained design patents on 3 of the Model 3 wheel designs that were previously unveiled. While it doesn’t mean they will release those wheels, it means they are securing the rights to them. Tesla applied for the patents on March 30, as they were about to unveil the Model 3, and the design patents were released over the last month.

Franz Von Holzhausen, Tesla’s Chief Designer, is credited for the design of each wheel, but longtime Tesla designer David Imai and Bernard Lee are also credited for the first Model 3 wheel design – United States Patent USD789860:

upload_2017-7-4_20-21-46.png
upload_2017-7-4_20-21-58.png
upload_2017-7-4_20-22-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-4_20-21-27.png
    upload_2017-7-4_20-21-27.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 80
I vote hands down for figure 3!

As for the last wheel for which Tesla obtained a design patent last month, it was unveiled at the March 2016 event, but it was never spotted on any release candidate since – United States Patent USD788671: It was actually only seen on plastic model of the Model 3 and not on a working prototype like the two other vehicles.

Joonas Vartola, a car designer who doesn’t work for Tesla anymore, is credited for the design of this one. If the release candidates are a good indicator of the options available for the Model 3, it looks this last one is not going to be available. We should have a better idea of the wheel options for the Model 3 once Tesla starts opening the online design studio, which is expected to happen on or around the 28th when Tesla will deliver the first few vehicles.

As for the last wheel for which Tesla obtained a design patent last month, it was unveiled at the March 2016 event, but it was never spotted on any release candidate since – United States Patent USD788671: It was actually only seen on plastic model of the Model 3 and not on a working prototype like the two other vehicles.

Joonas Vartola, a car designer who doesn’t work for Tesla anymore, is credited for the design of this one. If the release candidates are a good indicator of the options available for the Model 3, it looks this last one is not going to be available. We should have a better idea of the wheel options for the Model 3 once Tesla starts opening the online design studio, which is expected to happen on or around the 28th when Tesla will deliver the first few vehicles.

FlatSix911, I'm aware. It was a joke. 'I vote hands down for figure 3!' All 3 wheels in the picture have Fig 3 written below them........

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It might be too much to hope for, but I wish that the slipstream-like style of the 19" is available in 18". I would spend a little bit to upgrade if the aeros are the base, but larger size and different style costs $4500 on the S. There's no way I could justify that.

It might be too much to hope for, but I wish that the slipstream-like style of the 19" is available in 18". I would spend a little bit to upgrade if the aeros are the base, but larger size and different style costs $4500 on the S. There's no way I could justify that.

You could just purchase a set of used Model S Slipstream wheels ... they are rumored to fit the Model 3 :cool:

I'm sorry I'm late to this party - but can someone tell me if we've definitively spotted the slipstream? rims (By that I mean the more common non straight spoke rims) in the smaller 18" diameter, or only in the larger 19" on the RC cars so far?

I'd much prefer the slipstreams (aka the rims pictured on SN1 yesterday) but don't need/want a more expensive 19" tire that's going to wear out faster.

I know smaller wheels have advantages, but I just can't get past how much better bigger wheels look. After they reversed out the lighter black vs darker black areas on the Aeros and made them smaller, they just don't have the same appeal and it is bumming me out.