Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never considered paying for upgraded wheels in my life, but if the only two options are the aeros and the 19" we've been seeing, I'm going to have to pay up. Ironically, all things equal I would prefer 18" over 19", but beggars (or early reservation holders) can't be choosers.

I've never considered paying for upgraded wheels in my life, but if the only two options are the aeros and the 19" we've been seeing, I'm going to have to pay up. Ironically, all things equal I would prefer 18" over 19", but beggars (or early reservation holders) can't be choosers.
I'm in the exact same boat. Never paid for a wheel upgrade, love the 19s we have seen, pretty much hate the others. I guess when the pricing comes out I'll look into aftermarket 18" wheels and weigh my options.

If those are the base Model 3 wheels I will be very impressed. But I don't think so. They appear to me to be optional 18" "aero" wheels intended to maximize range, like the old Model S "aero" wheels which were so unattractive almost no one bought them and they were dropped.
These are aero wheel covers for the 18" V-spoke base wheels. The wheel covers will be included with the base rims. Prius did exactly the same thing thing starting in 2010 to increase the stated range. Some Prius owners chose to leave them on for increased range and some chose to remove them because they thought the rims underneath were better looking and take the hit in range. It will be the same with the TM3. You will decide which you like better.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
These are aero wheel covers for the 18" V-spoke base wheels. The wheel covers will be included with the base rims. Prius did exactly the same thing thing starting in 2010 to increase the stated range. Some Prius owners chose to leave them on for increased range and some chose to remove them because they thought the rims underneath were better looking and take the hit in range. It will be the same with the TM3. You will decide which you like better.

Do you think there will be a cap for when you don't use the aeros? The middle of the wheel in the 18" RCs w/o the aeros looks like they're obviously missing something.

19", no cover, just black center:
Tesla-Model-3-Spotted-16.jpg

18" without covers:
rnucfpa.jpg

18" with covers:
Tesla-Model-3-red.png

Completely off topic, but now that I look at this picture again do those beards look fake to anyone else? If so, I wonder who those guys are or if a couple of employees put them on as a joke since they were driving a Model 3 around! o_O
Full beard is actually a requirement for the Tesla Automotive Test Engineer position.

Do you think there will be a cap for when you don't use the aeros? The middle of the wheel in the 18" RCs w/o the aeros looks like they're obviously missing something.
No. in my opinion, there will be no hub cover for the base V-spoke rims. Prius didn't supply a hub cover for their base rims sans aero wheel covers. BUT, take heart, Aftermarket will supply a good range of hub covers for the base rims.

Tesla-Model-3-red.png

Completely off topic, but now that I look at this picture again do those beards look fake to anyone else? If so, I wonder who those guys are or if a couple of employees put them on as a joke since they were driving a Model 3 around! o_O
These guys have a swarm of bees on their face. They are testing the new Tesla pedestrian safety alert system, a buzzing bee sound.

• Funny
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

We’ve seen the car exterior several times, but youyouxue managed to get an up-close photo of the wheel and AP sensors. It looks like the prototype uses Michelin Green X tires for low rolling resistance, which should pair well with the aerodynamic wheels which we’ve seen several times. I quite like the look of the wheels, and Tesla says they will make it to production. All I hope is that they don’t suffer the same fate that the aerodynamic wheels for the Model S did (very few cars exist with them, as they were cancelled as an option not long after going into production).

upload_2017-6-22_1-14-8.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CaptainKirk
Tesla-Model-3-red.png

Those are fake beards. They have identical beards, which would be an unlikely coincidence. They also donned similar baseball caps and sunglasses as part of their getup. They probably didn't want to be photographed and have their faces plastered all over the Internet, so they wore disguises when they had to stop and get out of the car at the Supercharger.