Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their Model 3 windshield replaced through Safelite? I have to get a new windshield as you can see. Geico is assuring me they order the windshield directly from Tesla and will reimburse me for the autopilot calibration. Which sounds good but they did ask me some strange questions about my windshield like did it have lane keeping, or block dots around it that gives me pause. I have the option of going directly to Tesla (already scheduled an appt. time) but I would be responsible for labor rates above $40/hr. Any advice is appreciated. Am I crazy to trust a third party installer?

IMG_20180818_142133.jpg

Way back I had a car which had a specific windscreen which due to the coating you couldn't have the chips repaired. It was a full replacement job. The car had sensors for the lights and wipers, plus a wired up auto-dimming mirror and the satnav aerial all on the windscreen.

The rubber surround contained stiff metal wire which meant that as soon as it was removed, it was essentially ruined and you had to have a new one put on. I told the windscreen repair service (as chosen by my insurer) this and yet when they arrived it all went a bit wrong.

They took the screen out, nearly cutting through the wiring to the satnav aerial and dropped one of the spacers in the engine bay, then when the screen was out, the guy was about to put in the new screen using the old rubber. When questioned he said he didn't have any new ones on the van. I pointed out that you can't reuse them on this car and that I had made that very clear.

So my car is sitting there with no windscreen and they can't get a new seal. They promise to return with one in a day or two with the old windscreen balanced over the hole and the entire area crash wrapped with industrial cling film.

Three weeks later I was still chasing them and my car missed going into the garage for something else too which had to be rescheduled. Rain was leaking onto my dashboard.

Eventually I got a senior fitter out (through threatening their management with being sued) who sorted out a new seal and windscreen; but even then, the auto-wipers were playing up for weeks afterwards as the sensor cover had gotten damaged in the interim of dangling for weeks inside an open-to-the-elements vehicle.

Is that worth paying over the $40 an hour to you?

Last edited:
Kind of surprised by the questions as well OP. I would think all Model 3s have the exact same setup so it would be one window to replace. Personally I would have it done at Tesla. In days when all you were replacing was a glass windshield, no problem. Had Safelite replace a windshield on my Honda I had at the time that had a rock chip that cracked across the width and they did a good job. Just don't have that confidence with the newer windshields.

Thanks all for your feedback. I hear you guys loud and clear on the skepticism of anyone other than Tesla. I asked around locally too and I've heard both good and bad stories of third party windshield installers. It sounds like if I want to be sure I don't have issues Tesla is the way to go. I'm hoping third party installers will be a viable option soon. Tesla's aren't really unique in having cameras attached to the windshield (yes, autopilot is more advanced), and the less the service centers have to do the better it is for everyone.

Reactions: SageBrush
Thanks all for your feedback. I hear you guys loud and clear on the skepticism of anyone other than Tesla. I asked around locally too and I've heard both good and bad stories of third party windshield installers. It sounds like if I want to be sure I don't have issues Tesla is the way to go. I'm hoping third party installers will be a viable option soon. Tesla's aren't really unique in having cameras attached to the windshield (yes, autopilot is more advanced), and the less the service centers have to do the better it is for everyone.
mine cracked today, what’s the ETA on a Model 3 windshield?

Has anyone gotten theirs replaced yet? I got a huge rock chip a few days ago and the service center is taking forever to give me a quote. My insurance normally works with Safelite but I'm leaning towards going with the Tesla Service Center.

Has anyone gotten theirs replaced yet? I got a huge rock chip a few days ago and the service center is taking forever to give me a quote. My insurance normally works with Safelite but I'm leaning towards going with the Tesla Service Center.

I am going through Tesla, since they have to run a bunch of tests after intsallation to verify AutoPilot, Auto Windshield wipers and other sensors. I was quoted around $900 for replacement. I had them order the windshield last week and they said maybe it will be available next week (2 weeks) but I am not betting on that. I have heard it takes a while to get Tesla parts, pretty ridiculous that the Service Centers can't get parts overnighted from Freemont. Then again no ETA on my carbon fiber spoiler so who am I kidding. (very frustrated with Tesla's customer serivce so far)

It has been about 10 days since i had Tesla put in an order for a new windshield, i contacted them today and they said it will probably take about a month before it arrives at the service center in Colorado. Makes no sense to me if they are building close to 1,000 Model 3's per day....they can't pull a few windshields off the line or ask the supplier for more??

I had a problem when the windshield was replaced on my GT-R. They wanted to use an aftermarket windshield instead of OEM Nissan (OEM was $1600, aftermarket was $900). Problem was the aftermarket one they forgot to cut out the spot for the VIN number. So I insisted on the OEM and got it. So to be safe, make sure it is actually OEM Tesla and not some 3rd party (if that exists yet).

I had a problem when the windshield was replaced on my GT-R. They wanted to use an aftermarket windshield instead of OEM Nissan (OEM was $1600, aftermarket was $900). Problem was the aftermarket one they forgot to cut out the spot for the VIN number. So I insisted on the OEM and got it. So to be safe, make sure it is actually OEM Tesla and not some 3rd party (if that exists yet).
there are no 3rd party Tesla Model 3 windshields

Here is an update on my windshield replacement for others who need to replace their model 3 windshields.

I ending up deciding to use a third party to replace my windshield. I used Bluechip in Phoenix, AZ. When I called they were very familiar with the model 3 and had new windshields on order. The downside was that it required me to drive an hour away (compared to having safelite do it in my garage, but about the same distance as going to the service center) but the up side was I would get the replacement much faster than going directly to the service center.

I scheduled the windshield replacement about four days after calling them. I met the guys at a family members house in Phoenix and they did a good job replacing the windshield. They said they order the windshields directly from Tesla and it sure looked like the exact same window. Overall they did a great job replacing it. Once they were done, I scheduled to have a Tesla ranger come to my house and do the autopilot calibration. Autopilot was riding the extreme right side of the lane after the windshield replacement when I tested it. I stopped using it and waited for my ranger appointment that was four days after my windshield replacement.

The Tesla rangers came out, adjusted the cameras, and fixed a small issue where they said bluechip did not correctly install the camera housing. They did say that my car would need to re-calibrate autopilot just like it did when I picked up the car. A nice touch is that the auto pilot calibration now has a nice status circle to tell you how much longer it will take. It didn't have that when I picked up my car.

Overall, the process went smoothly after doing some up front work to make sure the glass company was experienced with a Model 3 and I'm happy with the outcome. I got my new windshield in a bit over a week and I didn't have any out of pocket expense with my Geico insurance. Here are some pictures of the process.

IMG_20180830_101633.jpgIMG_20180830_101727.jpg IMG_20180830_110445.jpg IMG_20180904_183941.jpg

Here is an update on my windshield replacement for others who need to replace their model 3 windshields.

I ending up deciding to use a third party to replace my windshield. I used Bluechip in Phoenix, AZ. When I called they were very familiar with the model 3 and had new windshields on order. The downside was that it required me to drive an hour away (compared to having safelite do it in my garage, but about the same distance as going to the service center) but the up side was I would get the replacement much faster than going directly to the service center.

I scheduled the windshield replacement about four days after calling them. I met the guys at a family members house in Phoenix and they did a good job replacing the windshield. They said they order the windshields directly from Tesla and it sure looked like the exact same window. Overall they did a great job replacing it. Once they were done, I scheduled to have a Tesla ranger come to my house and do the autopilot calibration. Autopilot was riding the extreme right side of the lane after the windshield replacement when I tested it. I stopped using it and waited for my ranger appointment that was four days after my windshield replacement.

The Tesla rangers came out, adjusted the cameras, and fixed a small issue where they said bluechip did not correctly install the camera housing. They did say that my car would need to re-calibrate autopilot just like it did when I picked up the car. A nice touch is that the auto pilot calibration now has a nice status circle to tell you how much longer it will take. It didn't have that when I picked up my car.

Overall, the process went smoothly after doing some up front work to make sure the glass company was experienced with a Model 3 and I'm happy with the outcome. I got my new windshield in a bit over a week and I didn't have any out of pocket expense with my Geico insurance. Here are some pictures of the process.

View attachment 332137View attachment 332136 View attachment 332135 View attachment 332134

thanks for sharing, I went through Tesla and I was just notified my windshield should be at my service center (Littleton, CO) tomorrow by Noon. This is a little over 2 weeks with a Labor Day holiday. I hope to have it installed on Friday, already had an appointment on deck.

You mentioned it looks like the same window, but you should be able to check its OEM by the Tesla T in the lower passender side. Do you have the OEM "T"?

The windshield comes directly from Tesla. Its not rocket science to install a windshield so having Safelite do it is perfectly reasonable, seeing how they have a lot more experience installing windshields than Tesla (who often contracts out to a glass shop anyways).

AP calibration is sometimes not even needed (My Model S didn't need it).