Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had mine replaced by Tesla (dropped at SC around lunchtime, given an S85 loaner, car was done by the following morning, less than 24 hours total time drop to repaired).

Safelite around here doesn't do Teslas per the local safelite office (though that's originally who USAA wanted me to use)

Even better, because I had to use someone other than safelite, I got to put the bill on my credit card (reward points) and USAA just cut me a check to pay the bill- so $0 out of pocket, and technically a small profit on the CC rewards :)

Reactions: Pkmmte
IMG_2075 copy.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
So follow up on the windshield repair. Arrived at my appointment at the Pomona, CA service center Thursday. The place was pretty disheveled and didn't really match the brand experience - folding tables and chairs in a bullpen waiting area. Not what I expected for a premium brand. Despite the appointment being over two weeks in advance, I was told they handle windshield repairs on Mondays, so I'd have to leave the car for nearly a week for a 1/2 day job. I calmly let the agent know I'd already cleared two days in my calendar for this repair and dragging this out for a week was a non-option. He gave me a quick "let me see what I can do" and walked off. Ten minutes later he let me know he had contacted the Costa Mesa Center and was able to secure a Saturday repair as well as the windshield.

The Costa Mesa center was night-and-day from Pomona. Very efficient and polished. I dropped the M3LR off Friday afternoon and they had me in-and-out in less than 30 minutes with a loaner Model S. Car will be ready Saturday afternoon.

I couldn't be more pleased with the service and responsiveness. I get the growing pains, so maybe Pomona will get gussied up soon. The responsiveness and efficiency genuinely surprised and impressed me. I've read more than a few posts about "Tesla repair hell", but my experience was outstanding. I've always taken my car to the dealerships for service and I can't say I ever had one check with another service center when they didn't have a part or were delayed with the repair.

Just had mine replaced by Tesla (dropped at SC around lunchtime, given an S85 loaner, car was done by the following morning, less than 24 hours total time drop to repaired).

Safelite around here doesn't do Teslas per the local safelite office (though that's originally who USAA wanted me to use)

Even better, because I had to use someone other than safelite, I got to put the bill on my credit card (reward points) and USAA just cut me a check to pay the bill- so $0 out of pocket, and technically a small profit on the CC rewards :)
i have USAA and they won't cover windshields......i live in SoCal.......i have to pay out of pocket.....deductible is $1000........you paid 0 so do they cover them in NC?

i have USAA and they won't cover windshields......i live in SoCal.......i have to pay out of pocket.....deductible is $1000........you paid 0 so do they cover them in NC?

Yup. $0 deductible too.

I did have to pay up front and then they cut me a check when I sent them the invoice because it wasn't done via Safelite (safelite doesn't do Teslas here).... which as I think I mentioned is even better since I also got credit card points for the repair :)

Yup. $0 deductible too.

I did have to pay up front and then they cut me a check when I sent them the invoice because it wasn't done via Safelite (safelite doesn't do Teslas here).... which as I think I mentioned is even better since I also got credit card points for the repair :)
i want to get out of this state......its so screwed up...tax for everything....now they want gas tax dollar tax because we don't use gas

Reactions: jjh1234
I'm so confused. I had my Model3 windshield crack last weekend and made an appt with Tesla. I'm in SoCal. Is this somehow covered under the warranty or does it go thru my insurance company and I pay the deductible?

This is like any other car. It's covered under warranty if you got the crack because it just happened randomly (i.e. its a manufacturing issue). Otherwise you either use your insurance or pay out of pocket. Road debris isn't covered by a warranty.

I'm so confused. I had my Model3 windshield crack last weekend and made an appt with Tesla. I'm in SoCal. Is this somehow covered under the warranty or does it go thru my insurance company and I pay the deductible?
Depends on whether it's a stress crack or not. If it's a stress crack, it's covered under warranty. Otherwise, if it was caused by something hitting it, you'll have to pay out of pocket or go through your insurance.

I'm at Safelite to have my windshield replaced and they wait until now to tell me they can't calibrate the cameras and I'll have to take to service center to do. Wtf. I would've gone through SC in the first place if I had known anything about this.

Can a mobile tech do it and what would the probable charge be?

Any updates re: whether to go through Tesla or Safelite? I just made my appointment to replace my windshield and would like to know what to expect on whether insurance will cover the replacement if I go through Tesla? Or if there was a recalibration charge? Thank you!

Do the replacement windshields still have all the small bubbles in them? Mine is a 2018 and when I drive into the sun it looks like 100's of small chips, but it is actually bubbles in the plastic layer between the two layers of glass.

Laminate layer bubbles or not, the 3/Y windshields and the frontal area of these cars are a nick, chip, speckle magnet - so many of the bubbles you are seeing are almost certainly microscopic nicks.

Replacements might be free of theseinitially, but often suffer from a bad case of ghosting to compensate for the loss of other manufacturing or wear/tear defects.