Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read this whole thread, but we took our 3 in fo an unrelated issue.

I asked about the suspension swap. I heard back today that if we want, we can switch to the softer ride suspension (VIN #14xx, built December 17).

The service center contact referred to it as the "sport suspension" that's discontinued. He said we can switch to a softer ride suspension if we'd like but it won't be possible to swap back to the currently suspension.

I don't find the current ride to be too harsh. It's definitely stiffer than my S, but no so much that it bothers me. I declined the suspension swap for now, though, so perhaps we could drive a later Model 3 to see what the difference is.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrew
@[email protected] - Just got back from the SC. They hadn't actually ordered the parts yet (doh!) so they placed the order and sent me home with my car. When the parts come in next week they'll send a valet to pick up the car and drop off a loaner. They said it's a one-day (possibly same day) job to do the suspension fix. Looking forward to having the improved suspension next week! :)
Andrew,,, I followed the same steps you did [phone call etc.} and now I will be getting the New Parts for my car..:) Thanks for posting...Vin. 2113 del. on 12-27-17...Mark

Reactions: Andrew
Tesla cheerfully swapped out the suspension on our 22xx vehicle. Even picked up car, dropped off loaner, and then dropped off car when finished. Saw (on app) them perform two road tests after work completed.

Did our own test drive last night. Findings:

Still feel every bump and feel them as strongly as before. However, harshness of bumps noticeably reduced. If boulevard cruisers make it feel that road has been re-paved and bumps reduced, this feels more as though road has been coated with thin layer of rubber. Hard bumps that used to make an instantaneous “thock” now make more of a rubbery “thoomp.” Very much like an E46 BMW 3-Series.

Excessive jiggly, jello-ey, our-of-phase, wrong-reboundy feeling now reduced.

However, freeway joint wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh sensation still there. Will have to compare in our Model S. Admittedly, I-405 headed north from US-101 is not Caltrans’ finest work.

All of the above is subjective and must be taken with a huge mountain of salt. When one is looking for change, one tends to find it. Our test drive included a windy segment on Mulholland Drive, a local mid-urban mountain road. I wanted to see how much the dampened suspension had hurt handling.

And, lo, it felt as though it had. In fact, when we reached my favorite S-turn segment, I consciously chose not to push things too hard. Didn’t want things things to get unsafe.

Didn’t push it too hard ... or, so I thought. Until I looked at the speedometer. 60 mph. Faster ... by at least 5 mph ... than I’d ever taken that particular segment ... over the past thirty years ... in a Supra, 3000 GT VR4, 330xi, S4, S5, or Model S.

Yes, Mr. Heisenberg, the very act of observing does compromise one’s observations.

Nonetheless, I can offer a bottom line:

Road feel still tight ... but no longer harsh ... no longer jiggly. Handling still epic.

And, my decision, whether to follow my wife into a Model 3 or stay with an S (either existing or refresh), is now tilting ever so slightly towards the Model 3!

Forever...still have the same impression after a few more days under your belt?

Forever...still have the same impression after a few more days under your belt?

Yes, although it's super tough to evaluate without doing proper A-B comparisons.

The washboardy section of I-405 which were previously so bad as to raise questions about Model 3 are now merely lousy.

What's surprising is that taking our air-suspended S back over that section really doesn't seem noticeably better. That implies that much of my perception of a Model 3 "ride problem" arose from the simple act of putting it under a microscope.

All in all, the bottom line is that, especially with the revised suspension, I find the Model 3's ride eminently doable. Road, tire, and wind noise are actually a bigger differentiator between 3 and S.

Best sense I have of the Model 3's ride, noise ... and handling is that they remind strongly of an E-46 era BMW. Of course, torque, acceleration, interior, efficiency, etc. are pure 2018-era Tesla!

Yes, although it's super tough to evaluate without doing proper A-B comparisons.

The washboardy section of I-405 which were previously so bad as to raise questions about Model 3 are now merely lousy.

What's surprising is that taking our air-suspended S back over that section really doesn't seem noticeably better. That implies that much of my perception of a Model 3 "ride problem" arose from the simple act of putting it under a microscope.

All in all, the bottom line is that, especially with the revised suspension, I find the Model 3's ride eminently doable. Road, tire, and wind noise are actually a bigger differentiator between 3 and S.

Best sense I have of the Model 3's ride, noise ... and handling is that they remind strongly of an E-46 era BMW. Of course, torque, acceleration, interior, efficiency, etc. are pure 2018-era Tesla!

Thanks. I also find that one "adapts" with regard to suspensions and after a while, as you note, it all starts to feel "normal". Honestly, though Tesla has always erred on the side of sporty with regard to their suspensions. Interestingly enough, my own Model S (P85+) is actually at its worst on the washboard roads near my house. They actually generate almost a rapid drum like resonance in the chassis...something none of our other cars (even with sporty suspensions) have done. I attribute it to Tesla's relative lack of maturity in NVH tuning. Oh and when you say there is a bigger difference with regard to road/tire/wind noise I assume you are indicating the 3 is LOUDER than the S in that regard - correct?

Thanks. I also find that one "adapts" with regard to suspensions and after a while, as you note, it all starts to feel "normal". Honestly, though Tesla has always erred on the side of sporty with regard to their suspensions. Interestingly enough, my own Model S (P85+) is actually at its worst on the washboard roads near my house. They actually generate almost a rapid drum like resonance in the chassis...something none of our other cars (even with sporty suspensions) have done. I attribute it to Tesla's relative lack of maturity in NVH tuning. Oh and when you say there is a bigger difference with regard to road/tire/wind noise I assume you are indicating the 3 is LOUDER than the S in that regard - correct?

Less, 3 is louder and more intrusive on non-smooth pavement.

How much does it cost?

The springs are $335 Unplugged Performance | Dual Rate Lowering Springs for Tesla Model 3

Here's a chart to illustrate how our different spring options compare to factory

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram-e1518715830266-1200x907.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi and Kant.Ing

I will be running one of these 2 tires when I take delivery to improve ride along with Unplugged Performance's mild dual rate springs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8PREASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...CP7ASPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

for comparison here is the stock tire in 18's

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8MXM4PXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I bought a VW Passat TDI SEL new in 2013, it came with 235/45/18's, after 2,000 miles I switched out to super sport pilots in 245/45/18 and the car of course handled much better than the stock continentals it came with but to my surprise the comfort level was as good as stock, I figured it must have to do with the slightly larger size ( not by much as it is 0.4" taller and wider than stock ) so those wore out before 30,000 miles and I replaced them with the Premier a/s, WOW was that the most comfortable tire I put on the car and handling was very close to the super sports, got 50,000 plus out of those and when I went to replace them it was going to take 2 weeks to get them as no one had them anywhere, put the pilot sport a/s 3+ on and it did handle better than the premier a/s but at a noticeably stiffer ride.

I like the 245 in place of the 235 as the added size makes the car feel more planted while allowing for lower air pressure of 3 psi to get the same load rating, my car weighs about 400 lbs, less than model 3 and i run my tires at 33 lbs. to get even tread wear, I would guess 36 to 38 psi would be fine in the model 3 with these tires, my speedo is only off 1 mph at 70 so its not that big of a deal.

FYI, The Pirelli P7 a/s plus is supposed to be the most comfortable and quiet riding tire of all tested in this size and load range at the expense of not being rated the highest in wet traction.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I have to admit, this thread is making me appreciate my P85+ suspension which I have found to be nicely in-between the standard Model S air and the firmest early P85D. It would be nice if Tesla were to continue to tweak the model 3 dampers and not just offer a smoother suspension on the later air suspension equipped cars (note: it's not even guaranteed there).

Regarding air suspension....the P100D made Chris Harris and company feel "quite ill": @12:24

Seems that Tesla just needs to tune their cars.

I noticed an improvement in my ride quality by raising my seat slightly. I had it as low as it could go and after elevating it, the harshness I was experiencing on rougher secondary roads is improved. Don’t know if this is all in my head or maybe I’m just adapting to the ride, but it did seem to improve the jarring I was experiencing. Ride is perfect on highways.

Stiff suspension is not inherent to coils, my late Citröen Grand Picasso (coils) had more comfortable suspension than my S on air.
Some tips would be to get the smallest rim size.
Another is to avoid any tire with "run flat" tech as this ruins any suppleness from the tires.
Citroen is very particular when it comes to suspensions. I know they used to have hydraulic suspensions... not sure they use them anymore... I remember a friend had one and the ride was extremely smooth.

Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia

Citroen is very particular when it comes to suspensions. I know they used to have hydraulic suspensions... not sure they use them anymore... I remember a friend had one and the ride was extremely smooth.

Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia
Yep, though it was only available on higher level C5s and C6 in modern times. Would love to have it in my S. There was a cool TopGear video of the performance in a C6 also.