Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took BMW nearly a decade to get their suspensions tuned correctly once they started switching to runflat tires. And at the time they were considered some of the most balanced cars out there. I’m not surprised Tesla with a new platform is having issues balancing ride quality with handling. Also people are coming to this car from both ends of the spectrum. If you are coming from sports cars you probably expect some harshness in exchange for handling. If you are coming to it from a Camry or Accord it will be different. The should probably offer a “regular” and a “sport package”. That way you know what you are getting.
Please don't give them an opportunity to charge us more money!! No more packages.

@K-MTG Have you gotten your Model 3 back with the new suspension? If so, is it everything you hoped for?

Suspension is smoother...not as smooth as the S/X but you don't feel the bump (as much) but still hear it. The car is still sporty. It is a decent improvement and I am satisfied with results.

They also replaced the power inverter & charge port even though I didn't have any issues with that. The car no longer makes the humming noise.

Az_Rael,

I apologize for not reading every post in this entire thread as I just did a search about the suspension issue and this page of this thread came up. The first thing I noticed about your post is that your VIN is 1986. My VIN is 1985. Then I noticed that you are in Palmdale. I am in Lancaster. (Just pointing out how funny that is).

Have you gotten yours replaced or are you still waiting for a chance to test drive a newer model 3 for comparison?

Thanks

Charles

VIN 1986 checking in for a data point:

1044461-02-B (rear driver)
1044364-01-D (front driver)

Our other car is a P85D with the early + suspension, so I trend OK with stiff suspension. I don't find the 3 to be harsh, but it is a bit "bouncy" in a stiff way which I attribute to the coils vs the P85Ds air. Neither are fun on rough surface streets.

I don't know if I would ask to swap out for the newer dampers. Would want to drive one first, so would have to wait for test drive cars to be available I would guess. I wouldn't want it to feel like a "standard" model S with air, but would be OK if it was closer to my old P85 with coils, which was really nice.

The first thing I noticed about your post is that your VIN is 1986. My VIN is 1985.

That is hilarious! I haven't seen another 3 around town yet, will have to keep an eye out and give you a Tesla wave if I spot you!

I am taking my 3 down to the service center for the first time Friday after running over a ladder on the 14 :(

Going to ask about my suspension, so we will see what they say.

Reactions: C_A_Braun
I am taking my 3 down to the service center for the first time Friday after running over a ladder on the 14 :(

Going to ask about my suspension, so we will see what they say.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking it to Burbank, Agoura Hills or someplace else? Mine has been to service at Burbank 2 times for 19 days total so far and they have not volunteered any information about this. I admit, I have not asked though, as I just found out about this today. But i have voiced my concern about a bumpier ride than I would prefer. For some reason I can't ever seem to avoid the pothole about 100 feet before the SB Soledad Canyon exit every morning and it is bone jarring.

I have not been very happy with Burbank so tonight I sent an email to Agoura Hills SC asking about this and to verify I qualify. I should. I picked up my car Dec 26. Hopefully they agree and can set me up with an appointment.

Are you taking it to Burbank, Agoura Hills or someplace else? Mine has been to service at Burbank 2 times for 19 days total so far and they have not volunteered any information about this. I admit, I have not asked though, as I just found out about this today. But i have voiced my concern about a bumpier ride than I would prefer. For some reason I can't ever seem to avoid the pothole about 100 feet before the SB Soledad Canyon exit every morning and it is bone jarring.

I have not been very happy with Burbank so tonight I sent an email to Agoura Hills SC asking about this and to verify I qualify. I should. I picked up my car Dec 26. Hopefully they agree and can set me up with an appointment.[/QUOTE]

We’ve worked with Van Nuys SC since 5/15 and have loved them. They took good care of us on the suspension issue.

Reactions: C_A_Braun
I can confirm that the "softer suspension updates" are on hold. I was excited to get this done. However when I showed up I was met with skepticism. They finally did find the service buliten related to it. However they said the program is on hold. I was told that they would be in touch when they resume it or there is another solution. I really don't mind the firm ride. However it is mostly my wife's car and... she minds. I will post here if I get an update. If anyone else does successfully get this retrofit I would be interested to hear back from you.

I can confirm that the "softer suspension updates" are on hold. I was excited to get this done. However when I showed up I was met with skepticism. They finally did find the service buliten related to it. However they said the program is on hold. I was told that they would be in touch when they resume it or there is another solution. I really don't mind the firm ride. However it is mostly my wife's car and... she minds. I will post here if I get an update. If anyone else does successfully get this retrofit I would be interested to hear back from you.

I had to email a list of issues with my model 3 with pictures and included a comment about my suspension since my M3 has 12/17 on the door. The Austin service center told me they are not replacing suspensions right now but will be in touch in the future. Just wanted to confirm I heard the same thing.

Just picked up my car from the Van Nuys service center for some other work I had done. While there I asked about the stiff suspension and they have ordered the parts for me, estimated to come in 2 weeks. We will see if they hear back from HQ that they can't replace them based on the other recent posts here.

Screenshot 2018-03-24 16.19.26.png

I have not been very happy with Burbank so tonight I sent an email to Agoura Hills SC asking about this and to verify I qualify. I should. I picked up my car Dec 26. Hopefully they agree and can set me up with an appointment.[/QUOTE]

I took my car to Van Nuys. I like them better than Burbank, although I really hate the location - always feel like I am going to get in a fender bender on those side streets.

I just picked up mine yesterday and I have to say that ride quality was excellent. Based on other comments, maybe I was expecting some jarring ride. I am not sure what the fuss is all about. I wouldn’t want mine to be any softer than now. It is similar to BMW 335 stock or Mini Cooper hardtop. Slightly stiffer than Leaf but it feels solid and nice. Much softer than Lotus Elise or Delorean. Yes, it’s stiffer than MS but I don’t want MS ride quality. Too soft and I really cannot feel the road. Totally acceptable as my daily beater.

I just picked up mine yesterday and I have to say that ride quality was excellent. Based on other comments, maybe I was expecting some jarring ride. I am not sure what the fuss is all about. I wouldn’t want mine to be any softer than now. It is similar to BMW 335 stock or Mini Cooper hardtop. Slightly stiffer than Leaf but it feels solid and nice. Much softer than Lotus Elise or Delorean. Yes, it’s stiffer than MS but I don’t want MS ride quality. Too soft and I really cannot feel the road. Totally acceptable as my daily beater.

I think the newer ones have already had the softer suspension installed, so you are experiencing the “fixed” solution as far as I know.

Mine currently feels like our P85D with the plus suspension except coils vs air. It isn’t harsh, but it is super stiff and small bumps tend to make the whole car bounce around. The current S air suspension is way too floaty for me, so it is good to hear they don’t take it that soft. I am hoping to get closer to my old P85 with coils, which was Tesla’s best one IMHO.

Reactions: preilly44
I put 150 miles on a Model 3 (Nov build, i have the VIN) today and found the ride to be surprisingly harsh indeed. My 911 GT3 is less punishing in primary ride. The owner told me that he had been offered a fix (the retrofit in question). I just have two questions:
- is the retrofit free, parts and installation ?
- does Tesla intend to phase it into production ?
Thank you.

I put 150 miles on a Model 3 (Nov build, i have the VIN) today and found the ride to be surprisingly harsh indeed. My 911 GT3 is less punishing in primary ride. The owner told me that he had been offered a fix (the retrofit in question). I just have two questions:
- is the retrofit free, parts and installation ?
- does Tesla intend to phase it into production ?
Thank you.

Yes the retrofit was free, though it is currently on hold, and it has already been put in to production. (Only mid-December and older cars have the "harsh" suspension.)