Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 New Taillight Will NOT Retrofit - Just Confirmed Today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This does not surprise me. When images started popping up, I mentioned that the stamping and even the trunk might be different. Got laughed out of the room.

That said, I am not a huge fan on the taillights. I, like others, really wonder if the headlights are. But I imagine they are not going to be able to.

I have the new headlights in my new S, and at least compared to the 2020 Model 3, they are so much better... like the best I have ever seen better.

I got the new Model S Plaid yesterday for a day (with the new tail lights) to make tint and trunk trim wrap for it, and I can confirm that the tail lights body appears to be the same as the old ones, but have in mind you will also need to change the trunk trim if you are retrofitting the tail lights.
Here is a close up:
IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

I got the new Model S Plaid yesterday for a day (with the new tail lights) to make tint and trunk trim wrap for it, and I can confirm that the tail lights body appears to be the same as the old ones, but have in mind you will also need to change the trunk trim if you are retrofitting the tail lights.
Here is a close up:
View attachment 781046

View attachment 781049
View attachment 781048

Thank you for the info... Do you think it's possible to remove the trunk trim piece on my 2021 plaid, cut aprox 2" from both ends, and then re-install the trim so I can install the new tail light covers? I like the look of the new tail lights.

Thank you for the info... Do you think it's possible to remove the trunk trim piece on my 2021 plaid, cut aprox 2" from both ends, and then re-install the trim so I can install the new tail light covers? I like the look of the tail lights.
Yes, I think the trunk trim is a combo of clips & double sided tape...I am 100% sure about the tape part because I just saw a refresh S yesterday where the tape didn't hold on one end and the whole thing was flapping and I could clearly see the double sided tape. But I think it won't look good, because the trunk trim is hollow inside, so once you cut it, you will have a very weird looking ending.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
Yes, I think the trunk trim is a combo of clips & double sided tape...I am 100% sure about the tape part because I just saw a refresh S yesterday where the tape didn't hold on one end and the whole thing was flapping and I could clearly see the double sided tape. But I think it won't look good, because the trunk trim is hollow inside, so once you cut it, you will have a very weird looking ending.

Thanks, I didn't realize it's hollow. Good to know.. Cheers

Reactions: iyordanov
After seeing the updated tail lights in the flesh I don't feel they are worth the hassle of swapping them out, messing with quarter panels, harnesses, etc. Only Tesla geeks will really notice the difference.

What I'd really like to see happen is a company release an aftermarket plug-n-play tail light with animated lights like they do for the 3.

Reactions: Drew-MS and oktane
Think Audi, sequential motion-like turn signals. There is a versions for the 3/Y that look pretty nice --> Tesla Model 3 & Y LED Sequential Tail Lights
Ah, got it. Appreciate the link. I hate those :D (sorry), personally. Ford did it with their Mustang and it just looks cheap. Those after-market look decent, but would still prefer just a solid blink, plus the additional startup animation.

Reactions: PhilipRs