Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what if unicorns can fly or pigs exist .... its not relevant :)
I'm fairly confident a pig didn't start this fire. And, yes they do exist.

I'm under NDA regarding unicorns.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet this is a brand new model top performing car. You would expect better figures don't you?
No.
1. I'm frankly amazed that we've had vehicles on the road for as long as a year (I'm ignoring Founder cars for now) and this is the first fire we've seen.
2. Model S can't defy the physics of transporting energy into areas where "large shrapnel" can directly attack the underside of the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

"Maybe now they'll come up with some sort of procedure to share with our industry," he said.
I'm pretty sure I've seen this video. Kind of surprised he hasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone see unicorns dancing in the flame duct?
We do not talk about Flame Unicorn Club.

I should take the advice of government officials who emphasize that we shouldn't immediately blame Al Qaeda for a terrorist attack.

That said, I don't see any evidence that is not consistent with a cascade failure of the main battery, but there are many other possible explanations. My point is that I think folks who are ruling out a battery fire are wrong to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

There isn't any debris from another car. There should be broken glass and brightwork scattered in front of the Tesla if another car was involved.

- - - Updated - - -

A 12v failure is plausible. We have reports of 12v battery deformation.

Tesla proactively replaced my 12v battery during my car's 12500 mile checkup last week.

Just as a reminder back in January of this year, my Model S (and VFX's Roadster) hit a very large metal pole on the freeway while traveling at 65 MPH. It instantly destroyed both tires and rims on the left side of my Model S. It also pierced the metal shield under the frunk and dented the battery pack in several places. The car of course did NOT catch on fire. The LA service center replaced the rims, tires and metal shield under the frunk. They analyzed the damage to the battery pack and determined that the dents were just cosmetic and that the battery was fine. I haven't had any issues since the accident. Eric VFX's Roadster suffered more damage than my S but it didn't cause any battery or electrical issues.

Wow, and thank you for posting this. Excellent data point. I am still saying "wow" because I'm amazed that the underside of your car wasn't further damaged from hitting such an object at speed.

So, it appears that some of the articles (or reader comments on them), as well as some of the folks on this thread have made the claim, or pointed to Tesla's patents regarding, "intumescent goo" within the battery pack. It's essentially a flame retardant, in that it's a substance that expands and chars with heat, thus absorbing substantial energy in order to reduce thermal runaway leading to cascading failures.

I first heard of it on CO's threads discussing the battery pack design. Tesla's patents seem to describe using it in battery pack construction, and there were some early battery pack designs that appeared to have used it, if memory serves. However, in those threads I believe the conclusion was that the final pack didn't seem to have any evidence of it being included.

I wonder if we have any definitive final answer on that (CO ?). I also wonder if it, or it's absence, would have been a factor in an event as significant as this one turned out to be?

Captain Ohsahi and his team (and other fire depts) should take it upon themselves to learn about Tesla:

Here's a nice page for them to start: http://www.teslamotors.com/firstresponders

Have you read the document there - its about as in-depth as the owner's guide. There is certainly an oppty there for Tesla to come up with something a bit more in-depth.

Interestingly, when I dropped by the Rocklin SC, the local FD was there getting a walk though of the car. Not sure if they did that of their own volition or Tesla has some sort of outreach.

O

Last edited:
I had no fire today in my Model S. Drove my car to work today, home again, to my daughter's high school and then to a local bar for some music, and back home. No fire all day.
I see that about 800 others did not fare so well today in their Gas-Powered Cars - more than one every two minutes, in fact, fared poorly:

From the New York Daily News:

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 33 car fires are reported every hour in the U.S., and 18 percent of all reported fires occur on a road or highway and involve a motor vehicle. One person per day died in a car fire incident between 2003 and 2005, and in 2007 there were 258,000 vehicle fires causing 385 deaths, 1,675 injuries and 1.41 billion dollars' worth of damages. Teens and young adults with driver's licenses are most likely to be involved in car fire accidents, according to the National Fire Incident Reporting System, and young males are victims more often than females.

Read more: What to do if your car catches fire - NY Daily News

- - - Updated - - -

I might ask, do you think ICE cars would be NHTSB Approved today if Ford had anticipated that more than one would light on fire every two minutes of every day?

my speculation two cents,

at some point tomorrow we hear some kind of interim update from Tesla about their approach to the investigation, announcement of a rough time frame for a more detailed future report & reiteration of what worked right in the car's safety system.

longer term, after their investigation I am fairly optimistic that they will do a very strong job threading a needle here... on the one hand assertively pointing out their confidence that the Model S is second to none in terms of safety including fire safety (of course, if that's what the results of their investigation supports), while on the other hand, letting the public know that the standard is not simply looking good in relation to the competition , but rather to do whatever they can in a real world context to ensure the safety of anyone riding in one of their cars. That is, we won't simply sit back on numbers showing you have less risk of a fire in a Tesla, we will use anything this incident provides us to learn and improve what we do (fwiw, this second part I suspect would mean they will make efforts to discover more about why the crash happened with internal testing (i.e. sacrificing some cars) so they can gain more confidence about to what extent this kind of incident is indeed a real outlier, and/or there is some vulnerability in the car they can improve for their customers).

The batteries in the Tesla S are under the floor pan of the vehicle.

So how could the front section which is a trunk catch fire to that extreme?

I had to be something extremely flammable in the trunk that is burning.

Interesting that CHEVROLET ads are on the page with the video ?

Yeah, but those are the real questions, first, if there really is a weakness (none of us are experts, but based on the car's track record in other accidents and number of miles driven, there is little evidence there is a weakness) and second, is there a "reasonable" fix, and "reasonableness" is not only cost but also weight and performance of vehicle. If they could have prevented the fire by using a paper clip, I'm all in favor of that change. If only a tractor's snow plow scraping the road surface would have made a difference, then no thanks.

Wrong. What stats are saying is 1 gas car out of 1000 catches fire.
Tesla has 20.000 cars so its 1 out of 20.000. So its 20 times safer.
This is wrong.
It's 1 car out of 1000 cars DURING THE CARS LIFETIME. So let's say 10 years (car lifetime) and its being reasonable.
Put the equation to 1 year: this is statistically equivalent to 1 gas car out of 10.000 cars do catch fire.
Now how old are the 20.000 Tesla cars in average? 6 months maybe.

So Tesla is "in the average" of 1 out of 1000.
Yet this is a brand new model top performing car. You would expect better figures don't you?

in my prior career, I was involved with a large fleet of ambulances, mounted on light truck chassis from major automakers. During a model change a bearing in the automatic transmission was "value engineered". This caused a number of fires in very new trucks precipitated by automatic transmission fluid being sprayed on hot engine manifolds when the bearing failed. At about this time another manufacturer of light trucks stopped selling gasoline powered chassis to ambulance manufacturers because of a rash of fuel related fires in new ambulances.

My point - while a number of fire implicated parts do age, newness does not imply total protection from fire.