Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Battery Pack - Cost Per kWh Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the renominated german Wirtschaftswoche battery-prices per kwh meanwhile drop to 200 EUR:
http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto...vonik-suchen-partner-fuer-li-tec/8350860.html

Audi-Chef Rupert Stadler nannte gegenüber der WirtschaftsWoche erstmals das aktuelle Preisniveau: „Vor drei Jahren lagen die Preise pro Kilowattstunde noch bei 500 Euro“, so Stadler, „jetzt sind es rund 200 Euro. Und ich gehe davon aus, dass das nicht das Ende ist.“ Die jetzt erreichten Batteriepreise haben Experten bislang für den Zeitraum nach 2020 vorausgesagt.

looseley translated:
Audi Chairman Rupert Stadler called to the Wirtschaftswoche for the first time the current price level: "Three years ago, the price per kilowatt hour were still at 500 euros," said Stadler, "now there are around 200 euros. And I'm assuming that this is not the end. "The prices have now reached battery experts have been predicted for the period after 2020.

From the LG presentation
liion.gif

I re-made the graph in a Log format
383380-129026215460878-renim_origin.png

The trend curve was conservative, the LG price was around $200 at 2010.

The blue lines were for a LEAF size battery, so not applicable to Tesla.
Red line is the US Gasoline price per 1000 litre.

Roughly speaking, the price is declining, but the rate of decline is also declining.

Roughly speaking, the price is declining, but the rate of decline is also declining.
Well there's no way the battery costs can decline at the rate before 2000 because that was a time that scale was not achieved yet and per cell costs were rapidly declining at the same time density is improving. From the industry data I have seen, 18650 cell price have averaged between the $2-2.5 mark from 2006-2011 and it's not looking to change much. So what's really been driving $/Wh is density improvements which are not so rapid.

Back on TM Forums, someone posted a conversation with JB at Swapper demo. If we are to believe this, it clarifies a few things - specially the form factor and composition, and that hint from Elon for a 500miles battery.

Here is the QnA since I cannot post links.

1. When will Tesla owners be able to use their own battery pack at home in the same manner that Tesla is using battery backup at Superchargers, including time-of-use (TOU) and grid buffering?
JB pointed me to the Solar City battery backup that Tesla Motors designed and sells through solar city. 10kWh and very expensive. He stated that regulatory and engineering problems prevent owners from having the option of using the car battery for that purpose. He did NOT seem inclined that this would be happening in the future, although I tried to drag it out of him.
2. What is the status of the metal-air patents/range pack in the frunk?
"Some patents don't end up in the working product. However, the tesla cell chemistry is improving and a 4-500 mile pack is not that far away."
3. Is the jump from 90 kwh to 120 kwh charging the last speed increase?
No. The charging speed will be increasing.
4. How do Tesla's 18650 lithium ion cells differ from the off-the-shelf versions?
Tesla is using the 18650 "form factor" but the chemistry and several of the components are designed by Tesla and nobody else has anything as advanced. A regular laptop battery placed into the Model S would short/burn up/fail immediately.

Hope this helps.

It is becoming increasingly mysterious to me as to why I should take you seriously when you refuse to present evidence to support your case while relying on an investor graphic which explicitly refutes your point.

View attachment 23744
A bit OT, but disappointed to see Telsa is comparing apples (55 mph constant speed) to oranges (EPA rating) with their range numbers in the above graphic, especially when it wouldn't change the end perception much.

Tesla is using the 18650 "form factor" but the chemistry and several of the components are designed by Tesla and nobody else has anything as advanced. A regular laptop battery placed into the Model S would short/burn up/fail immediately.

That could put myth that Tesla is/was using Panasonic NCR18650A finally to rest. Cells used by Tesla are not only different mechanically, but also on chemistry level. Sure chemistry is still a variation of NCA, but specifically optimized for an automotive use.

Moreover, it looks like Tesla have got agreements in place(royalties) that allow Tesla to order same specs cells ("chemistry ... designed by Tesla") from other Li-ion manufactures. So they are not at mercy of Panasonic for high specific energy cells production process. I bet some part of chemistry IP comes from Panasonic itself, but with sheer number of volume Tesla orders, Panasonic was dieing to get Tesla as a customer.

- - - Updated - - -

a 4-500 mile pack is not that far away
I almost 100% sure JB is referring to improvements in cells specific energy that are enabled by silicon based anodes... That tech already in the process of commercialization.

notice that JB refers that the cells are different to laptop cells

notice that JB but makes no mention of cordless power tools cells

there are a lot of aspects of a 'standard' cell that can be optimised for a particular application but still stay within industry practice.

just changing it from a 2 tab to a 3 tab cell would be sufficient to say its not a laptop cell
http://www.cd-adapco.com/sites/defa...ally-Wound, Lithium-Ion Cells_Paper_5891_.pdf

notice that JB refers that the cells are different to laptop cells
At the same sentence JB claims that cells produced for Tesla are different from anything else. Laptop cells mentioned there just as an example.

notice that JB but makes no mention of cordless power tools cells
That is irrelevant. Whole battery orders by power tool manufactures combined are less in volume than what Tesla orders now, in terms of kWh.

there are a lot of aspects of a 'standard' cell that can be optimised for a particular application but still stay within industry practice.
Yes! Exactly! That is what I was trying to explain from the beginning.
And in fact it is a standard practice in the industry. Customers have a saying in how cells manufactured and to what specs. It is very easy to tweak chemistry. And it is done routinely.

Not so easy to tweak mechanical design of the cell, and not as common practice. But sure enouph, that was done for Tesla Model S program.

But still people was claiming that Tesla is using off the shelf cells, like NCR1860A. Then when it become obvious that cells are different from physical design point of view (as opposite to chemistry), same people tried to claim that Tesla still using standard chemistry used in off the shelf cells...

Before that some even gone as far as to claim that Tesla was buying cells from the resellers.

But reality is that it took years to design battery packs(Roadster's and Model's S). And cells are crucial part of that design. With many patents filled by Tesla in the process. With other very important factors involved, before Tesla have chosen supplier, like liabilities...

And one should understand how easy it to tweak chemistry. There are literally hundreds of fabless companies that are trying to sell their li-ion tech to end customers. And appreciate the size of Tesla orders. Including Roadster program.

Zzzz perhaps we are talking past each other, but when people say different chemistry they think of a bespoke variation of NCA that is not in production for anyone else, I would expect Tesla's NCA to be in commercial production for other uses but Tesla specifies it (grade and sizing blends etc) for their application. (And Nissan does the same with their NEC automotive cells, its unique but the constituent ingredients are commodity). Same with electrolyte, same with anode. And as Tesla is an energy hog in cell design, the NCR 18650B will be a very good place to start. I don't think Tesla 18650 cell patents are particularly relevant, just like i don't think their Li-Air patents are particularly relevant either.

Tesla initially went 18650 because no-one would sell them an 'automotive' Li ion cell. Its a lesson I doubt they have forgotten and there was a slide from the roadster days showing about 30 different Li ions cells being tested by Tesla, I'm sure that having a fungible cell is a key requirement for Tesla, even if only for 60kWh version.

That way they mitigate one of the risks that sunk Fisker. If an earthquake or other disaster were to strike the production facility that produces their cell, Tesla would have a near death experience unless they could rapidly have an alternate supply ready. It also makes for a good negotiating position.

Back on TM Forums, someone posted a conversation with JB at Swapper demo. If we are to believe this, it clarifies a few things - specially the form factor and composition, and that hint from Elon for a 500miles battery.

Here is the QnA since I cannot post links.

1. When will Tesla owners be able to use their own battery pack at home in the same manner that Tesla is using battery backup at Superchargers, including time-of-use (TOU) and grid buffering?
JB pointed me to the Solar City battery backup that Tesla Motors designed and sells through solar city. 10kWh and very expensive. He stated that regulatory and engineering problems prevent owners from having the option of using the car battery for that purpose. He did NOT seem inclined that this would be happening in the future, although I tried to drag it out of him.
2. What is the status of the metal-air patents/range pack in the frunk?
"Some patents don't end up in the working product. However, the tesla cell chemistry is improving and a 4-500 mile pack is not that far away."
3. Is the jump from 90 kwh to 120 kwh charging the last speed increase?
No. The charging speed will be increasing.
4. How do Tesla's 18650 lithium ion cells differ from the off-the-shelf versions?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for asking the questions and posting this. Is it possible to a clearer description of what he said in #4 - the regular laptop battery would short/burn up/fail immediately. That's very curious. I'm wondering if that is specifically referencing supercharging as opposed to "normal" use.

So Mr. Straubel makes it clear that they aren't using straight up NCR18650A's. I'm wondering if it is a CGR variant for high current use. In any case, the fact that we are confirmation that Tesla is not using a straight up NCR18650A means that it will be very difficult to model any number of things from cost to reliability based on publicly available information on the NCR18650A. We just don't know how different Telsa's batteries are from the NCR18650A, although it is likely that the the NCR18650A is very close to the starting point of Telsa's batteries. We pretty much have to reassess what we know of Tesla' batteries.

Hello and greetings,
I am somewhat new to this topic so please consider... I have a general observation and trying to evaluate if it makes sense...

Given that SolarCity and Tesla announced they will cooperate to use Tesla battery packs in the residential solar deals as soon as 2015,
(Source: LA Times, 27.06.13, "SolarCity plans solar power storage solution, due in 2015").

And given that the G3 Tesla will be in commercial production no sooner than 2016.

And given a general observation / assumption that the solar utility market is relatively more dynamic than the car industry, or to put it bluntly that SolarCity competitors could catch up much faster, just from the nature of the business. So there could be a greater rate of increase in home battery packs than for cars.

And finally, given that economy of scale will always play a large role in determining the cost efficiency of the battery pack because of fixed costs involved...

Could there be a likely case where the key driver of price for li-ion battery packs would be the home solar market, and not cars, at least for some time?
Or in other words, that the home solar market could be for a while a greater catalyst for moving to electric than any single auto company per se.

Or am I missing something here?...

I think one thing missing is the massive amount of cells already being used in the Model S ... by the time gen 3 gets here I think the amount of cells will be about triple what they are now so it would take a lot of 8KW solar backups to be on par with the the 60,000 60-85KW packs in the cars. Hopefully the rest of the Solar market copy's solar city and buys 8KW packs from Tesla as well :)

Could there be a likely case where the key driver of price for li-ion battery packs would be the home solar market, and not cars, at least for some time?
Unlikely. Most home solar installations do not use battery packs, which would significantly increase the cost of the system. Frankly I'm not sure why you'd use such an energy dense cell for home backup since weight is not much of a concern.

I've been hammered by a work emergency and have been completely out of touch with the discussion. I don't have time to really engage, but the mention of the tweak to cell chemistry is interesting as that was a big unknown. However, based on my research so far, I doubt that minor changes to the chemistry will add more than a few pennies to the cost of the cell, and depending on the tweaks its possible it might reduce costs. The costs at that level are almost purely materials costs because the main variable is the mix you put in the blender on the day you are doing Tesla production.

As to production itself, it looks like Tesla batteries are produced at the big Panasonic fab in China, which had a planned eventual capacity of 600m/units per year for their NCR line of batteries. That means that Tesla represents something like 25% of orders for the main Panasonic product line.

As to the rest of the comments referenced (laptop batteries shorting out) that is all consistent with the design patents I posted in the battery IP thread, which means a battery that has the protective cover removed (and changes are made to the head of the battery to keep it from shorting out) and the cap is drastically simplified. The Model S pack requires that the protective cover be removed, and a conventional "laptop" battery will indeed short out (as I explained in the IP thread) without the other associated changes. Together, these changes reduce both materials costs, and assembly costs.

Anyways, as to why I am here. I had a brief break lunch break and decided to go back to Google to see if there was more current information on battery costs. Instead I found this 2013 study on moving 18650 manufacturing to the U.S. -

http://americanmanufacturing.org/files/1-s2.0-S0378775312018940-main%20%284%29.pdf

If you skip ahead to page 7 you will see a total per cell cost of ~$1.58 for 18650 cells using NMC chemistry, while being built in China at a large 350m unit fab using fully automated processes. That includes shipping to the U.S. and all costs associated with production except profit.

The Panasonic fab is fully automated and with a capacity of 600m units per year it likely achieves significant economies of scale over the 350m unit fab that this data is modeled on.

Tesla uses NCA chemistry, which depending on the mix of Cobalt you choose for the NMC is either less expensive or more expensive. The worst case NMC assumption (that I could find) for the mix used is this study increase the materials cost that Tesla uses by ~$0.13 when using NCA. The most likely scenario is that the cost difference is more like $0.05.

Just their simplified battery design probably saves more than that, though its more uncertain. Total assembly costs are ~$0.25 in the 350m fab, and by far most of the assembly tasks are associated with building the cap. Every one of those tasks requires capital machinery and labor supervision. So some significant chunk of ~$0.25 is eliminated ($0.05-$0.10?). There might be some savings on materials and scrap as well (simplified cap, no protective cover), but its probably just a penny or two at most.

Bottom line, this data points yet again to the significant likelihood that Tesla is paying less than $2/cell, and even accounting for a profit margin for Panasonic it might well be under $1.70/cell.

If Tesla is paying $1.70/cell, that is ~$152/kWh. The 85kWh pack would have a cell cost of ~$13,546 and probably a total cost of under $16,000.

And again, this data is all quite consistent with a wealth of data posted earlier in this thread, including NCR18650B 3400mAh cells (which should be more expensive than the 3100mAh cells that Tesla uses) being advertised for $1.80 each -

Panasonic 3400mAh cells

At some point economies of scale differences are probably minor. I'm not sure we can assume that a 600m line is saving all that much over a 350m line.
Also, be careful taking prices from Alibaba. Lithium cells have a habit of "falling off the truck" or "sneaking out the back door" and ending up on Alibaba. For a while we could get A123 cells for ridiculously low prices, and some of them turned out to be fakes, others were seconds.

I think $2.5/cell is a "safe" price as that's the average cell price for the industry as reported in battery conferences the last couple of years. That pegs NCR18650A priced at $224/kWh (perhaps slightly higher based on it being a higher capacity cell than average).

As for all the talk about Tesla not using NCR18650A directly, I think this whole thread already makes that assumption! The base assumption here is whatever Tesla is using is very similar (we now it's NCA in a 18650 format) and thus if we can get a good estimate on the costs of large scale orders of NCR18650A, we won't be very far off from the actual price Tesla is paying for their own cells.

However, doing some more research, a high capacity version of the NCR18650PD (which is just 2900mAh) is probably the closest to what Tesla is using:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47417
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17460

The NCR18650PD is optimized for high drain like the CGR cells are. It can do a continuous 10A discharge (3.5C) and a burst of 18A (6.2C):
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...li-ion-battery-button-top-panasonic-orbtronic

This is not a "laptop" cell because laptops don't need that high drain. The application is mainly for power tools or R/C toys.

The NCR18650A "laptop" cell has much lower continuous 6.2A (2C) and burst 8.5A (2.74C) current. It really might short and catch on fire given the discharge rate of the Model S.

Last edited:
At some point economies of scale differences are probably minor. I'm not sure we can assume that a 600m line is saving all that much over a 350m line.
Also, be careful taking prices from Alibaba. Lithium cells have a habit of "falling off the truck" or "sneaking out the back door" and ending up on Alibaba. For a while we could get A123 cells for ridiculously low prices, and some of them turned out to be fakes, others were seconds.

I agree. If you look at the total assembly cost for the 350m fab, its only about $0.25/cell. Even a 20% improvement will only net you a nickle, but that's still pretty significant in high volumes.

As to the Alibaba prices, I've always tried to take them with a grain of salt, but there is a substantial body of evidence pointing to cells costs that are ~$2. The importance of the latest report is that it provides an authoritative source pointing to total costs of producing and transporting cells to the U.S. at $1.58 for the chemistry they modeled (again, that excludes only profit).

The rest is me trying to estimate how that model differs from what we should expect for NCR18650A 3100mAH cells. To me this just validates the IEK report pointing to 18650 prices between $120 and $200/kWh in late 2012. I think that anyone who wants to argue that the cells cost more than that has a real problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I think $2.5/cell is a "safe" price as that's the average cell price for the industry as reported in battery conferences the last couple of years. That pegs NCR18650A priced at $224/kWh (perhaps slightly higher based on it being a higher capacity cell than average).

I can't directly dispute that because I haven't attended battery conferences. The IEK report though was referencing a price collapse in late 2012, as opposed to average prices for the last couple of years. I still feel fairly comfortable with the idea that the NCR18650B's are the upper limit of the IEK range, which would be $200/kWh, or ~$2.50/cell, while the NCR18650A's should be at least slightly cheaper.

Though I admit it's questionable, since the materials cost isn't going to be very much higher. If the jellyroll for the 3100mAh battery costs $0.60, you'd expect that to only climb to ~$0.66 for the 3400mAh.

Here's more evidence to solidify my suspicion whatever Tesla is using is very similar to the NCR18650PD: Here's what it looks like from this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47417
file.php?id=101722&sid=f1197edfb125fad606c86023d562b614.jpg

Here's what the NCR18650A looks like:
Panasonic-NCR18650A-e-cigshop.eu-500x500.png

What's the difference? The NCR18650PD has a different negative terminal with the with a C shape scored into it and also the positive terminal has the vents in a triangular shape rather than circular.

Now let's look at the Tesla pack:
?tesla-batt-module4.jpg

The positive terminal is exactly the same as the NCR18650PD (notice the triangular shape)!
And that "C" shaped scoring on the negative terminal is also exactly the "807" mentioned in this Tesla battery patent:
20120270080_10.png

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120270080

Notice that battery patent also mentions the same wire connection (1007) as you see in the actual picture of the pack. Apparently when the cell vents, it breaks the wire and thus the connection.

A side point is that the NCR18650PD actually came out after the Tesla went into production (came out mid-2012), so this could be Panasonic selling some of the tech they developed for Tesla to other applications that might require high discharge rates.

Last edited:
The scoring that creates the vent on the negative terminal is described in the Tesla patent for their simplified cell design. As to the positive terminal, I'm not sure that the triangular shape is meaningful, since the Tesla is clearly using just a metal plate, which is protected by the gasket that has a triangular outlet. That said, there is no reason why Panasonic might not just use generic parts for both batteries. Tesla needs a big gasket for their simplified battery, and this part might just be the one that Panasonic offered off of the shelf, and same thing with Tesla's requirement for scoring the base.

But I don't see how we can draw any conclusion about the internal chemistry, regardless of the exterior parts chosen.