Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Celebrities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those who posted and emailed me - Thank you! I'll be reaching out to the band to see where is best for them. Received offers from all over, including the Ventura, San Fran, Delaware, Seattle, and even Tesla factory directly! Very kind, everyone. Thank you!
Favorite quote from the emails "Having a badge usually makes test drives more enjoyable..."
Cheers!

A friend of mine who works for Activision Blizzard (the biggest third-party game publisher in the world; their games include Call of Duty and World of Warcraft) just let me know that CEO Bobby Kotick has a Model S. He sent me this pic...which, when I looked closer at it, revealed it to be a Founder's series. So Kotick must be a major investor in Tesla, and from the spoiler and dark grey wheels, his car appears to be a P85.

2HWwr.jpg

A friend of mine who works for Activision Blizzard (the biggest third-party game publisher in the world; their games include Call of Duty and World of Warcraft) just let me know that CEO Bobby Kotick has a Model S. He sent me this pic...which, when I looked closer at it, revealed it to be a Founder's series. So Kotick must be a major investor in Tesla, and from the spoiler and dark grey wheels, his car appears to be a P85.

View attachment 26731

That's a good looking P85. He's a good investor to have with his video game reach.

View attachment 26731
That belongs in "Random Model S Sightings"... hardly a celebrity, IMHO.

I had the great honor of giving a speech at Tesla Headquarters and the Tesla Factory this week. My brother in law Bob Weir, singer and guitarist for the Grateful Dead, along with my big sister Natascha came by Tesla Headquarters to cheer me on. After taking my sister on a test drive a couple months ago, she ordered their MS on the spot. Bobby went straight from Tesla to Giants Stadium, where he sang the national anthem for "Grateful Dead Day" and threw out the first pitch. Here are a couple of pictures from HQ. The first is Natascha, Bobby and myself. Second one is Rik from Tesla with Bobby and myself. The last one is Bobby and I taking a Tesla executive's Model S for a spin, we traded seats later ;)

TeslaHQ1.jpg

TeslaHQ2.jpg

TeslaHQ3.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR
I was at 2013 ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group for Computer Graphics), the sector which created

- Special Effects for TV/FILM
most notable disrupter was PIXAR (founded by Dr Ed Catmull, the Computer Science PhD whose dream was to use Computers to make films)

- LUCRATIVE Computer Gaming sector
via GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), notably Nvidia & ATI (owned by AMD)

- Scientific Visualization
most notable is NCSA (National Center for SUpercomputing Applications) which invented the CAVE Virtual Reality simulator. You will often see "NCSA U of Illinois" credits, in many Astronomy related Outreach programs, where Scientific Visualization (3D animations/simulations) are used.

NCSA was founded by U of Illinois astronomer Dr Larry Smarr, who needed supercomputers for his galaxy simulation work. He was in adjoining ACP (Advanced Computation Bldg), next to Coordinated Science Laboratory where Martin Eberhard, myself, & others (Dr Steve Cross, who later would become Georgia-Tech Vice President & President of GTRI/GaTech Research Institute) were at the AARG (Advanced Automation Research Group). The triplicate Computer Vision / Robotics / Artificial Intelligence sector (Core Technology for the Google Car, i.e. robot cars aka AVN..Autonomous Vehicle Navigation), where Dr Smarr visited. Since we got the 1st GE (General Electric) CCD cameras, the CCD was a major Technology "disrupter" that revolutionized Professional Astronomy

I'm working on a Technology Initiative involving Motorsports & Automotive (Tesla Motors possibly a client), to get Silicon Valley Tech involved as Technology Partner

I made many queries about Tesla Motors. PIXAR people tell me there are SIX Model S in their parking lot. Loren Carpenter (former Boeing engineer, 1 of PIXAR founding principals), who posts on TMC, has both a Roadster & Model S. I met Dr Ed Catmull at SIGGRAPH '08 (?), where he told me he had his eye on the Model S. I assume he has one.

Nvidia had a Model S in their booth, as part of their Automotive Division (Audi is also a client):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chimpanzee/sets/72157634769301497/

9357466682_2b65fc8a74_c.jpg
9357470090_de6ec2d025_c.jpg

1 of my old Research friends (back when I was grad student at U of Illinois, along w/Martin Eberhard) is at Nvidia Research, so we are talking about some potential Business & R&D opportunities.

Emerging Technology/Economy of "Smart Cars" (ALternative Fuel..hybrid/electric, Smart Comunication over the Grid, Web/Internet Integration for Entertainment, etc)

..where Tesla Motors is a clear "disrupter" (if they can make adjustments, esp their Organization/Infrastructure to...xxxx)

Agile/Mobile/Hostile accurately describes the Future of Computing:

Mobile Computing

Many leading researchers (Google, Stanford Computer Science, etc) were seen walking around with Google Glasses (has a HUD, Heads Up Display). 3 months from Market. Imagine this "TEchnology Integration" with a high-Tech Tesla Model S -- Drive -by-Wire & HUD. Sounds like a fighter-aircraft..

Space-Age is truly coming to Automotive ("Smart Car").

Google Car (AVN..Autonomous Vehicle Navigation) is also part of Smart Car Technology, AUdi just demo'd their robot car at the recent 2013 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) Lexus demo'd their AVN Research at 2013 CES (Media Day & NOrth Hall exhibition) at 2013 CES.

US Military is being "disrupted" by UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), "robot weapons". THere is a similar/parallel "disruption" in AUtomotive, the Smart Car. All sorts of "automation" (parking, collision detection/avoidance, navigation, etc) is coming.

Last edited:
I had the great honor of giving a speech at Tesla Headquarters and the Tesla Factory this week. My brother in law Bob Weir, singer and guitarist for the Grateful Dead, along with my big sister Natascha came by Tesla Headquarters to cheer me on. After taking my sister on a test drive a couple months ago, she ordered their MS on the spot. Bobby went straight from Tesla to Giants Stadium, where he sang the national anthem for "Grateful Dead Day" and threw out the first pitch. Here are a couple of pictures from HQ. The first is Natascha, Bobby and myself. Second one is Rik from Tesla with Bobby and myself. The last one is Bobby and I taking a Tesla executive's Model S for a spin, we traded seats later ;)

View attachment 27765
View attachment 27766
View attachment 27767

Tesla and the dead? What more can someone ask for?

Tony Hawk's new Tesla.

Hey I wanted to share with you this video we made with Tony Hawk. He recently picked up a Model S and we had some fun with the camera...just something for fun...nothing commercial. Tony Hawks Camera - YouTube
Sorry if you feel like this is spam. Yes this is my first post but I figured if you guys are into the car then you might like it. If not, oh well.
Jared

Last edited by a moderator: