Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cheetah Stance vs. Taycan Turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What wheels/tires were on that S? Both look amazing in regards to exterior styling!

It’s not surprising the Taycan would pull away at freeway speeds and take the 1/4 mile. S was notably quicker at low speeds. Are they equal off the line, assuming charge and other conditions are the same?

The Taycan is a halo car, and priced that way. The range was much better than advertised in my test drive. The handling and interior were far superior.

Totally agree on the rear end, mainly the bumper, on the Taycan. That kills the styling for me. Considering the Turbo S with average options is going to cost double the Model S Performace, I’d say the Tesla is matching up well!
Taycan is just new. Model S P100DL used to sell for north of $160K USD as well when it first came out, and over time dropped to $100K, once everyone willing to pay $160K got theirs.

Seemed like a pretty fair test- I was amazed that the Porsche won from a standing start, but the Tesla was quicker from 30mph- the opposite of my expectations.
The tacan looks excellent from a dynamos point of view- good job.
Now with a 30% increase in range, a chargning network and a massive cost reduction, the Taycan Turbo S is the one to buy.
In Australia, the T.T.S is over AUD400 000. The Performance S is 175 000. Now THAT's Ludicrous!

Reactions: SBDPlaid
Believe the 2 speed transmission is what gives Porsche the edge.
Yeah, zero doubt that it gives an advantage. Apparently Tesla tried a two-speed early on in the Roadster, but the extreme torque resulted in failures. So we got a one-speed system, which is much cheaper and works very well. I guess some of the >$400 000 goes towards the second gear...
Weirdly, the second gear doesn't give Porsche markedly better range? (although real-world range looks better than what Porsche reports- I guess they report closer to "worst-case range", while Tesla reports closer to "best-case range". Tesla still a fair way in front in range overall..)
Another interesting point in this comparison video was: no comment on performance loss with repeated testing of the Model S, in line with this piece of good news about Model S upgrades improving its punch in repeated runs: Cheetah Mode and 0-100 time Reproducibilty

Last edited:
Rule #1 of non-Tesla US EV ownership is to never cross the stateline:)

The non-SC US Level 3 network is in a nascent state, most stations have one
outlet and half the time do not work, or are located in seedy areas you will not want to be in
after dark.

Taycan, i-Pace, e-Tron, and Polestar will make great local cars for the well endowed.

The rest of us who have to travel will stick to Teslas, thank you.

Taycan is just new. Model S P100DL used to sell for north of $160K USD as well when it first came out, and over time dropped to $100K, once everyone willing to pay $160K got theirs.
I’m not sure the Taycan Turbo S will come down much. It’s the halo EV of an elite manufacturer. Look at the top trim levels of all their models, and you’ll find most get near $200k. Plus, in at least the next few years, Porsche doesn’t need to make or sell many, as they have the ICE revenues.

It’s a great EV. The only negative is its price, but you could say that about most top trim Porsches.

I’m not sure the Taycan Turbo S will come down much. It’s the halo EV of an elite manufacturer. Look at the top trim levels of all their models, and you’ll find most get near $200k. Plus, in at least the next few years, Porsche doesn’t need to make or sell many, as they have the ICE revenues.

It’s a great EV. The only negative is its price, but you could say that about most top trim Porsches.
You are probably right on this. Porsche doesn't discount quiet as far, however note that at the $180K+ level you do get more features, like surround view, FLIR, active headlights lights, 4 wheel steering, much higher quality interior, actual blind spot monitoring and warnings, cell phone integration (Apple CarPlay, or Android Auto), etc, etc. The argument you will constantly hear from die-hard Tesla fans is AutoPilot potential trumps all, but realistically many would choose all the other Porsche features over today's Tesla auto-pilot. Of course, if you buy into Elon hype, that in 2020 Tesla will have a fleet of robo-taxis driving autonomously without a driver, then Tesla wins and doesn't need any surround vision, etc. But Tesla fanboys have been pushing that one since 2016 how it was coming any day now, and still is, and in all likelihood will be for a long time (and probably never for current vehicles), so for now, let's compare what is actually available rather than what Elon has been promising since 2016 is "coming sooner than anyone thinks", or "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure", or "by end of 2017", etc.

The car which will likely be more of a competitor to Model S is the upcoming Audi eTron GT, built on Taycan technology and likely priced in the current (pre-Plaid) Model S range. You might be able to get one stripped down (equivalent to Model S options, sans fart modes and games), for similar price but get similar or better but repeatable performance. Personally I have high hopes for it (and would not strip it down to Model S standard, I would like the additional options which Tesla does not have). I test drove the Taycan and other than it was too small to replace a Model S, and me not being crazy about the 2 speed gearbox, it actually would work for me. To be perfectly honest, I'd even take the eTron GT with a hatch if it does 0-60 in barely sub 3s and gives a realistic 200 mile range - match my P85DL specs (which worked for me just find to drive a round trip coast to coast).

Last edited:
You are probably right on this. Porsche doesn't discount quiet as far, however note that at the $180K+ level you do get more features, like surround view, FLIR, active headlights lights, 4 wheel steering, much higher quality interior, actual blind spot monitoring and warnings, cell phone integration (Apple CarPlay, or Android Auto), etc, etc. The argument you will constantly hear from die-hard Tesla fans is AutoPilot potential trumps all, but realistically many would choose all the other Porsche features over today's Tesla auto-pilot. Of course, if you buy into Elon hype, that in 2020 Tesla will have a fleet of robo-taxis driving autonomously without a driver, then Tesla wins and doesn't need any surround vision, etc. But Tesla fanboys have been pushing that one since 2016 how it was coming any day now, and still is, and in all likelihood will be for a long time (and probably never for current vehicles), so for now, let's compare what is actually available rather than what Elon has been promising since 2016 is "coming sooner than anyone thinks", or "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure", or "by end of 2017", etc.

The car which will likely be more of a competitor to Model S is the upcoming Audi eTron GT, built on Taycan technology and likely priced in the current (pre-Plaid) Model S range. You might be able to get one stripped down (equivalent to Model S options, sans fart modes and games), for similar price but get similar or better but repeatable performance. Personally I have high hopes for it (and would not strip it down to Model S standard, I would like the additional options which Tesla does not have). I test drove the Taycan and other than it was too small to replace a Model S, and me not being crazy about the 2 speed gearbox, it actually would work for me. To be perfectly honest, I'd even take the eTron GT with a hatch if it does 0-60 in barely sub 3s and gives a realistic 200 mile range - match my P85DL specs (which worked for me just find to drive a round trip coast to coast).
I’m very interested in the GT, but I don’t think it’s going to be quick enough. I like what I’ve watched of the Polestar 2, but they need to get it to low 3’s.

Maybe the Lucid is more what I’m looking for, but it’ll be tough for a startup to compete in the non-EV aspects of the car, plus customer service. Tesla hasn’t been able to after a decade

I'd argue that Tesla's operations are significantly inferior to Porsche. Read through stories here on TMC about Tesla parts, service, and warranty "clarifications".

agree. That’s why they are pricing them like that. For the price of the Porsche, you get one Tesla to drive and one to leave on blocks in your driveway as you strip off the spare parts. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: whitex