Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Clever Vanity Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at exactly 8 weeks tomorrow since they cashed my check. Picking up the car the day after tomorrow.

Hopefully this plan will come together...

Well, even if you get a notice from the DMV that the plates have arrived, you still may not be able to apply them right after you get your car. You'd have to wait till the standard plates arrive in the mail with the permanent registration doc and then go into the DMV office to swap for the vanity plates.

My vanity plates have been sitting at DMV, Fremont since late October and I still haven't received my standard plates after having picked my car up on 01/19.

One other TMC member was able to fill out a "Statement of Facts" form indicating that he'd destroy the standard plates upon arrival and was then allowed to apply the vanity plates right after he got the car. YMMV.

Just ordered mine yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,371
Tesla (rather than the DMV) finally forwarded my standard plates and registration today (I got my car on Jan 19th).

No appointment at the Fremont DMV till Feb 21st! Can't imagine standing in long lines before that to pick these up unless I get really impatient (btw, Vishy's a short/pet name for my son):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360390801.713434.jpg

Also, I'm turning in these plates that are on my wife's car right now - as some 'old-timers' here know, I got them last year and intended to put them on the Model S but, have since listened to the voice of reason (my wife's) and chose not to piss someone off by applying it to the S:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360391071.717822.jpg

If any of you would want these before the DMV destroys them, let me know and we can work with the DMV on a transfer.

Last edited:
No appointment at the Fremont DMV till Feb 21st! Can't imagine standing in long lines before that to pick these up unless I get really impatient (btw, Vishy's a short/pet name for my son):
GG, over here at the Redwood City DMV you don't need an appointment to pick up plates. You just show up and tell the person at the front what you need to do and they'll get you in within 15 minutes.

GG, over here at the Redwood City DMV you don't need an appointment to pick up plates. You just show up and tell the person at the front what you need to do and they'll get you in within 15 minutes.

Thanks, strider. But, my vanity plates are already at the Fremont DMV; in hindsight, I should have picked RWC instead when ordering the plates - closer to work for me.

Sigh. I considered getting vanity plates. In NY, however, you are literally not permitted to get vanity plates unless you first have standard plates and trade them in. That's just enough extra work that I probably won't bother (unless they give me some horribly offensive standard plate -- there was a short period when all the plates in the area were "NRA ###", which a lot of people were upset by).

Well, even if you get a notice from the DMV that the plates have arrived, you still may not be able to apply them right after you get your car. You'd have to wait till the standard plates arrive in the mail with the permanent registration doc and then go into the DMV office to swap for the vanity plates.

My vanity plates have been sitting at DMV, Fremont since late October and I still haven't received my standard plates after having picked my car up on 01/19.

I had a similar situation. I picked up my car on the same day as you and my plates just arrived two days ago. I have had my personalized plates sitting in the Redwood City DMV for over a year! I even had them put a note on the plates to "hold until August 2012" when I thought I would get the car. Anyway, I went in to the DMV yesterday (no appointment) with my brand new sequential plates and the attached registration, and walked out with the personalized plates. Fastest in/out I have ever done at the DMV.

8468772667_53245b2f13_z.jpg

I still wish that "WTFRUNK" would pass the plate police. I didn't even try. Today I mailed the HOV sticker application off, so it's back to waiting for the next thing.

I live in San Francisco and reserved TESLA SF some time ago. I put the rear plate on and suddenly became aware that the attention I was already receiving increased five-fold. On crowded SF streets it became an annoyance. Not all people appreciate a person who can spend $100K on a car. After a couple of days of that, I ordered regular plates and am greatly relieved. Love the car but don't need to advertise.

#1920 85KW Performance