Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Crash Test Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He also mentioned:
The rear impact is tested to 35, but they tested to about 50. About 3-4 times the energy involved. And tested an impact that connected with only half the rear to make sure that much focused energy on a portion of the rear wasn't an issue.
The roll cage is designed to withstand 4 times the weight of the vehicle. If it rolls, there shouldn't be any issues with a roof collapse.

That's great to hear. One person commenting on a Petersen article claimed that Tesla's spot welding of aluminum body panels was a bad idea and would lead to tearing on impact. I didn't buy it but it's good to have crash test data that supports their methods.

As happy as I am to hear the testing went phenomenal and the Model S will be an exceptionally safe, the real tests won't be completed and published until 2013.

Did Elon or Tesla mention or hint at a follow on offering?

That's great to hear. One person commenting on a Petersen article claimed that Tesla's spot welding of aluminum body panels was a bad idea and would lead to tearing on impact. I didn't buy it but it's good to have crash test data that supports their methods.

This bodes very well for Model X and for costs related to future crash testing.

When will Model S safety ratings be announced? | Forums | Tesla Motors

The National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSA) has reserved their cars for crash testing and will receive delivery in the order in which we receive their final order. It is likely they will receive their cars in spring/summer of 2013 and will conduct their tests sometime thereafter. We have designed and engineered Model S to achieve a five-star crash rating and look forward to their tests being completed.

I am more than a little surprised at the time-line here for a vehicle that began production in june 2012

From the Tesla Blog:
"The National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSA) has reserved their cars for crash testing and will receive delivery in the order in which we receive their final order. It is likely they will receive their cars in spring/summer of 2013 and will conduct their tests sometime thereafter. We have designed and engineered Model S to achieve a five-star crash rating and look forward to their tests being completed."

I was talking with George B the other night, and he says the NHTSA is waiting for their cars just like the rest of us. The NHTSA normally buys cars at dealers on their own so that manufacturers don't provide "tweaked" cars that might perform better.

Seems to me they've shown special interest in testing EVs, which is odd when you consider the relatively low sales volume. They've tested both the Leaf and the Volt. They even tested the Coda which has sold in numbers approaching double digits.

To test them, they have to buy them, so maybe that's their way to contribute to innovation... :)

Blaming someone else for the accident... Surprise surprise.

The "I touched the brakes but the car accelerated" excuse is not going to work in this case. Tesla has the data. I hope they come after this woman as hard as they did after Broder if the data shows she lied.

Ask Toyota how many sales they lost due to the "unintended acceleration" lies. Or ask Audi.

If the data shows she lied, go after her for slander Tesla.

Right, that's what everyone says when they mash the accelerator by accident and drive into something. I wonder if Tesla logs could prove otherwise?
Not accessible by Tesla unless she gives permission (assuming she owns the car). If she takes it to court though, the court might legitimately be able to request the data though.

I seem to recall reading somewhere of some drivers of the Model S finding that it was easy to accidentally push on both the accelerator and the brake at the same time due to the positioning/spacing of the 2 pedals. Indeed, I found I did it myself once on our Model S when I was wearing hiking boots. So long as the the software gives the brake precedence and the brake pedal sensor detects the movement before the accelerator pedal sensor detects movement, it is probably not a big deal. But I remember being surprised when I found my boot catching both pedals at once—that never happened on my Roadster or any other car I have driven.

Don't most cars have the A pedal set slightly lower than the brake pedal? This should mean that when pressing both with one foot the brake should be applied first.
Worth noting that if you do a quick Google search on "woman drives into restaurant" you get a number of similar tales, older woman trying to park or pull out of a parking space. Of course one of them was also inhaling keyboard cleaner at the same time, so she had an excuse :biggrin:

Right, that's what everyone says when they mash the accelerator by accident and drive into something. I wonder if Tesla logs could prove otherwise?

Unless the story hits the national news it's not a big enough deal to make a fuss about.

I would be shocked if this becomes a big story. There were no injuries and the damage seems minor. The only news in this is the fact that the car was a Model S. Any reporter should reach the same conclusion that we did - 71 year old lady's foot slipped off the brake.