Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S damaged at SC 1 day before delivery. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMS,

I'm new to the Tesla family and my DS called me this morning to inform me two cars were in an accident near the service center and one vehicle hit my MS 1 day prior to delivery. The SC sent a loaner 90D until the car I ordered is repaired which is estimated to take 3-4 weeks. One of my concerns is the car was damaged, should I request another vehicle or accept the accommodation of repair and loaner? I'm wondering if

1) Accept Tesla's offer
2) Request a new vehicle from Tesla
3) Ask Tesla for a price reduction because the car was damage

I'm starting to think I should request a new car and let Tesla figure our what to do with the damaged car. Would appreciate feedback from others.

Thank you.

I would ask for a new car. Who wants to start out with body work on a new car before you even get it? Even if the repair doesn't show up on Carfax if they have to paint, that does show up when you go to sell (unless you sell privately).

#3 might be an option as well, but I doubt Tesla will be willing to budge. They will argue the car will be repaired to new condition and not acknowledge the fact of the market that repairs of any sort diminish value.

Of course, this assumes you are purchasing the car and won't keep it 8-10 years (at which point the repairs wouldn't matter). I am not sure how this situation would affect a leased car.

Reactions: Cowby and xborg
When you sell the car to the next guy a few years down the road, they will know that its been repaired, even if it doesn't show up on carfax. These people are trained to look for repair signs.

I would either ask for a considerable discount, or, a new car.
How much discount? Adjust for,
- Reduced resale value (and don't listen to anyone saying - nobody can tell its been repaired), and
- Possible risk, because a repair isn't like new.

It's not your problem, it is tesla's problem. you entered into a contract with tesla for a NEW car not a damaged and repaired car. If tesla cannot deliver a new "pristine" care then I think that they are in breach of the contract.
I would refuse delivery and see what they offer you.

Reactions: gabeincal
Damage from DS.
IMG_0506.JPG

I'm gonna offer my opinion: Look at it after repair, be reasonable about what they did. If you notice the area at all, kindly ask for a new car. If you don't notice, ask for some form of monetary incentive to keep that vehicle.It looks from the angle of the photo, a door type ding and maybe some damage to the rim. Just what I would do. I hope in any event you are happy with the results.

Best of luck from Texas..

Reactions: KyleDay
I remember your username from the spreadsheet I checked frequently. Sorry to hear that about your delivery. I know I'd feel pretty disappointed in the least if it happened to my car. Having just gone through a quote from Carmax for our trade-in, what others have said about re-painting and body damage (even if not reported) being picked by the estimators is true. It will diminish the value of the car down the road should you sell it later.

Too much reflection off the car for me to really see it well but if I was planning on keeping the car I think I'd want a new car as ordered. I guess it all comes down to how much do you need a car now as opposed to waiting for another. Also didn't look back at the spreadsheet but did you order the perf seats and get free supercharging? I know they also changed up the interior packages since you might have ordered, making some combinations unavailable. Tough decision especially if there was a fair amount of damage. Can you go to see the car or have they started to work on it already?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: NewEVOwnerMD17