Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Close button looks dangerously small

Does anyone else think the close button (X in upper left corner) for the Controls/Settings pop-up window is too small? Big buttons are much easier to hit with less attention and are therefore safer while driving. There's plenty of real estate to work with. This might be ameliorated by auto-closing the window after a delay (60 seconds?) or maybe allowing a touch anywhere in the greyed-out area to close the window. Or perhaps there is a zone around the X that acts like touching the button itself. Can anyone who's used a recent version of the interface comment on the particulars? I would make it about 2.5-3 times the diameter currently shown.

inside-tesla-blog-touchscreen.jpg

Does anyone else think the close button (X in upper left corner) for the Controls/Settings pop-up window is too small? Big buttons are much easier to hit with less attention and are therefore safer while driving. There's plenty of real estate to work with. This might be ameliorated by auto-closing the window after a delay (60 seconds?) or maybe allowing a touch anywhere in the greyed-out area to close the window. Or perhaps there is a zone around the X that acts like touching the button itself. Can anyone who's used a recent version of the interface comment on the particulars? I would make it about 2.5-3 times the diameter currently shown.

View attachment 6275

I just got back from Santana Row and the Big Screen. I learned that any touch anywhere off the picture, any grey area around it, will close the window. Some windows are only about quarter screen, so it's easy to shut them. In fact, the whole interface is ridiculously easy and intuitive. Plus, they will have voice.

I just got back from Santana Row and the Big Screen. I learned that any touch anywhere off the picture, any grey area around it, will close the window. Some windows are only about quarter screen, so it's easy to shut them. In fact, the whole interface is ridiculously easy and intuitive. Plus, they will have voice.

OK, good to know. I'd still make the close button bigger, since the other behavior is less discoverable, and there's plenty of room.

Nice! Rob, is the white perf beta still there at SR? Will it be around for the long weekend, do you know?

Did anyone else catch Cadillac's announcement of their new driver interface / entertainment system - the Cadillac User Experience (or "CUE")?

Although they're only using an 8" touchscreen, they're incorporating proximity sensing and haptic feedback along with voice and gesture controls. There are also some interesting similarities to the Model S instrument cluster, but Cadillac's offering has four customizable "themes" to choose from.