Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else catch Cadillac's announcement of their new driver interface / entertainment system - the Cadillac User Experience (or "CUE")?

Although they're only using an 8" touchscreen, they're incorporating proximity sensing and haptic feedback along with voice and gesture controls.

Interesting, since Tesla mentioned that their testing indicated that haptic feedback wasn't very useful or perceptible with road vibrations. (Sorry, I can't find the source where I heard that).

Fisker does this on their command console, and I found it to be noticeable and a plus.

Have you used it while driving/riding in a karma? I only ask because at least one owner did a lengthy (~45 minutes) review of the Karma infotainment system and one of the things is said was that the haptic feedback was imperceptible while driving. I would be interested to hear of someone with a different experience.

Have you used it while driving/riding in a karma? I only ask because at least one owner did a lengthy (~45 minutes) review of the Karma infotainment system and one of the things is said was that the haptic feedback was imperceptible while driving. I would be interested to hear of someone with a different experience.

I own a Karma and the haptic feedback can clearly be felt while driving. It's a nice feature and definitely a plus.

Last edited:
I own a Karma and the haptic feedback can clearly be felt while driving. It's a nice feature and definitely a plus. Just a pity there is a lag in the reaction time of the screen.

I don't own one, but my experience has been similar. It felt noticeable regardless of current speed.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to know that. I guess then, that it's a bummer that the haptic feedback isn't available on the Model S.

Perhaps this will make it into the Model X

I always turn off haptic feedback on my smartphones. I find it annoying. I'm okay with the implementation in the future, but I personally would turn it off anyway. Lag (or lack thereof) is lightyears more important than haptic feedback, particularly in a driving situation.

I always turn off haptic feedback on my smartphones. I find it annoying. I'm okay with the implementation in the future, but I personally would turn it off anyway. Lag (or lack thereof) is lightyears more important than haptic feedback, particularly in a driving situation.

I agree with both those points (option to turn off haptic and lack of lag being of prime importance here).

I would like to use these opportunities to limit the handling of the car when my teenagers drive (limit speed and acceleration).
Parental controls on the automobile... have to think about that one. Sounds great in principle, but for safety, I might want to have the passing "teleportation" option available to my kids to get away from a potential crash.
Maybe a control to alert me to the use outside thresholds I set. I can see it now...

"Daughter, I got the alert you were accelerating pretty wildly tonight... what the heck were you doing?"
"Well, Dad... my friends thought the car was a weakling, being electric and all. I wanted to show them it has power. We found a nice empty parking lot and I showed them."
... pause ...
"Good girl." -proud Dad.​

OK, I'm back now. Software upgrades, especially for performance controls, +1.

I wonder what the touch screen does in vallet mode?

Perhaps it should just display the cellphone # of the owner, and a message that performance driving is currently restricted.
("You have 3 miles of driving allowed to park and retrieve the car before it automatically shuts down...")

Last edited:
I'd imagine you'll activate valet mode via the 17" screen or your mobile phone app on the Model S so you wouldn't need a separate key fob. The software wouldn't allow the valet to open the frunk in this case. We'll soon see exactly how Tesla set it up though.