Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received a VIN (P01867) with a delivery window of "mid to late December". Still waiting for the My Tesla page to give me the link to the delivery paperwork, which was supposedly activated a few hours ago...

Blue/Gray Performance, CF Interior, Pano, 21" Gray, 20kW, Tech, Audio, armor, and rear seats.

Did the tour yesterday. Every time I went to check out a VIN on a car or BIW someone gave me a look. My guide actually asked me a couple times to stop looking for the VINs. So i'm sorry everyone, no VIN updates.

One piece of good news though. As the tour started I saw a sea of finished bodies (BIW) these cars were just waiting to be assembled and there were probably 200 of them. All BIW's are the same so they are just cranking them out and fast.

As the tour finished and we got to the test track I saw a truly amazing view. The ENTIRE test was practically full to the brim of fully finished cars. We are talking about 80-100 cars just sitting their awaiting delivery. When I asked what they were doing there, she told me. The rain! The entire bay area has been pounded with Rain these last couple weeks and they have been storing the cars on the test track and testing portions at a time. She said they finished a bunch of cars, tested them all on the track and then moved them all onto the track for storage. It goes through the Dyno and water tests and then they just sit on the test track waiting for delivery. She said it was a frustrating dance act, but its necessary in case there was a problem with a car.

SO, if your car has been going slower then you thought, it could be due to the rain.

My car went from BIW to delivery in 6 days. I don't know how standard that is, but just for reference.

Also I saw probably 30 Sig red cars waiting for delivery or almost complete. I'm hoping they were Canadians.

I'll try and answer as many questions as I can.

Time to update the big board again...I just received VIN# 1929 for my P2009 Blue performance 85KwH (Grey interior, Matte Obeche, Pano, 21" Silver wheels, Air, Tech, Sound, High-power Wall Charger, basically all the goodies except rear-facing seats).

I was told that my car should be built and ready to go in about two weeks, and that it will take 10-14 days transit time from California to New York...Looks like I'll just miss getting it this year, but who knows...It's never to late for a Christmas/New Years miracle :)

The rain! The entire bay area has been pounded with Rain these last couple weeks and they have been storing the cars on the test track and testing portions at a time. She said they finished a bunch of cars, tested them all on the track and then moved them all onto the track for storage. It goes through the Dyno and water tests and then they just sit on the test track waiting for delivery.

Seems like they could kill two birds with one stone and just leave the cars outside and get the water tests done that way! :wink::tongue:

Time to update the big board again...I just received VIN# 1929 for my P2009 Blue performance 85KwH (Grey interior, Matte Obeche, Pano, 21" Silver wheels, Air, Tech, Sound, High-power Wall Charger, basically all the goodies except rear-facing seats).

I was told that my car should be built and ready to go in about two weeks, and that it will take 10-14 days transit time from California to New York...Looks like I'll just miss getting it this year, but who knows...It's never to late for a Christmas/New Years miracle :)
Congrats! Nice configuration - it will be a beautiful car. The VINs are rolling along now. 2000 must not be too far away.

Time to update the big board again...I just received VIN# 1929 for my P2009 Blue performance 85KwH (Grey interior, Matte Obeche, Pano, 21" Silver wheels, Air, Tech, Sound, High-power Wall Charger, basically all the goodies except rear-facing seats)....
I think I might have seen yours when it was all aluminum and getting inspected before going to the paint shop! + other p20XX cars.

I guess you're referring to the final MVPA. Got that when I got the email with VIN. My credit union didn't need anything. Loan approved while on the phone and got check from them to send Tesla whenever they asked for it. Check was good for 90 days. They asked me to let them know the VIN when I got it. Incredibly easy. 1.49%. Penfed FCU.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not wanting seem impatient, I have been impatiently waiting for the magic call from the delivery people for the last few weeks.

I was reading in the forum yesterday that [email protected] is the place to inquire for people who can't wait for Tesla to initiate the delivery process.

So yesterday I sent an e-mail asking about the status of my reservation.

Within a few hours the delivery button on the "My Tesla" web page appeared, and I had a recorded voicemail from Tesla telling me to call back if I had questions. I pushed the red delivery button and responded to a few questions. Then I called back. I was asked to send them a copy of my drivers license, and insurance information, that I e-mailed to them. Then Solar City called to arrange for an estimate for the wall connector installation.

Today, I got a call telling me my car is ready and asked if I could pick up my car tomorrow at the Tesla factory. They gave me a choice of 9am, 1pm, or 4pm. So tomorrow I'll be picking up my Model S, at 1pm. To expedite paperwork, Tesla will be e-mailing some documents needing electric signing, later today.

My wife's out of town, so she'll miss the fun.

Now for the curious, let me provide the usual information about my order.

I have general production sequence number 22. I ordered a Performance version with all options except Paint Armor and Child Seats.

Color Pearl White
Grey Interior
Carbon Fiber Decor
Silver 21" Wheels
Panoramic Roof
Tech Package
Active Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Sound Studio Package
Twin Chargers
High Power Wall Connector

My family never agrees on colors or options, so I had to the avoid black or tan interior. No dark paint colors or dark wheels. Some didn't want certain options, others did. So nobody in the family is completely happy with the choices, but nobody is unhappy with them either.

Now I'll sit down and prepare a list of questions I'll want to ask during delivery tomorrow...
I wonder whether any of this would have happened if I had not sent the e-mail yesterday asking for a status check?

Unreal! I did the same thing 2 days ago... got the VIN, got the button to finalize, etc. I thought they were making it tight for me by giving me a delivery window starting in 10 days. That's nothing compared to "Your car is ready, can you come pick it up tomorrow?". For all the high-tech wizardry that is embodied in the Model S itself, the delivery process has been hit and miss at best. Still thrilled to be closing in on it though! Congratulations! Bet you're glad you sent that email.

I just got the following email:

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Clearly I responded with a "Hells yes I want my car!" just about as fast as I could type it.

I got the same email for Southern California. Therefore it must be that we have a configuration that is already available to deliver. I would love to get it in December, but I still have to finish my garage remodel and get plugs installed. I still have to sell my other car as well. So, I will be the only goofball to hit the deliver in 2013 button. Interesting thing is...I'm not due for delivery until Feb-March (res #7577), but email implies if not December, then January delivery is imminent! Am I reading that correctly?