Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do the drivers refuse to answer their phone? I realize they may not be allowed to talk on the phone while driving but you think they would respond once they parked. Also, all trucks have GPS transponders now (I thought at least) so their parent company can see where they are. I would think UPS or Tesla could call the shipping company's dispatch and get an update or be able to track the GPS on the car itself.

UPS commercial trucking doesn't work this way. This isn't a customer focused area for UPS. The truck drivers drive all-day-everyday, they could care less about their cargo and just want a paycheck. Most of a truckers deliveries are to commercial businesses, so being cheery and responding to your phone calls is the last thing on their mind.

No one cares about your stuff the way you do, so it's hard for me to believe that a truck driver is going to get on the phone to talk to you when he's got deadlines to make. There are other things in his truck that he has to get delivered, and we're just a line item on an endless sheet of paper.

Be patient! It's the holidays, the drivers are people too, and I'm sure they are trying their best.

Just want to say, I've spoken with Garrett and also had some email transactions with him, and he is about as polite a customer service rep as you could get. I called a few days ago and I was hot due to Tesla's less-than-stellar communication record. His demeanor and communication style immediately tempered my aggravation, and even though he was unable to give me the information that I wanted to hear, he told me what he could and I felt better. Either they have an excellent CSR training program, or he's just a natural, but hats off to Garrett!

2nd. He's my DS and I email him asking for an update daily. Yes, daily. He's always very polite and upbeat in his responses and willing to tell me when he doesn't know something. Heck, just putting up with my constant need for information is pretty amazing.

UPS doesn't own any car carriers or have drivers trained to operate them. They are typically contracted to coordinate these types of services by a company like Tesla. The actual carriers are typically subcontractors. Tesla is very much a vertically integrated company with enough to do. This really isn't their expertise. They need to focus on building great cars. Most small and independent carriers don't have tracking capability. Tesla could install RFID in your car but I'm sure we'd all be concerned that they were tracking us after delivery. Although many drivers do it, you really don't want to encourage them to use their phones en route. A call to verify delivery time 24 hrs out is typical. The lead times on delivery seem exaggerated as to under-promise and over-deliver. Typically, carriers can reach most point in the U.S., excluding far outlying areas, within 4 days. GPS units are several hundred dollars each. Then someone has to coordinate how they all get back to Fremont, etc. It can get quite complex.

Did a factory tour ths afternoon and was able to see my (seemingly) complete car VIN 3,092 in the "parts shortage" area. Looks like it needs a detailing and paint armor but that is it. :). Car is absolutely gorgeous.
Got my mvpa turned around in 1 hour and will drop off payment tomorrow. Still possible that it will leave the factory by the 31st!

Today's somewhat comical shipping updated:

* The car left the factory on 12/21 to some distribution facility to await further shipping
* Per a call with our inside DS yesterday, delivery was scheduled for 12/28 and we should hear from the driver 24hrs before
* No word from the driver today, so called for another update. Their system was updated with driver contact information for our car so our DS called the driver and learned that he had just delivered a load to Texas and our Seattle bound car was definitely not on the truck.
* Our DS called UPS Autogistics for an update but just got a generic voicemail. He was going to escalate our shipping query to some manager and commented that we're in a similar position to a lot of other people where the wires have gotten crossed in the shipping process.

BTW, as others have mentioned, our inside DS has been excellent and not give the slightest hint of being tired of hearing from me. :)

I just learned that my car shipped this afternoon at 3:07! ;)

I love these Delivery Notes - always recall my first look at The Model S, and here we are - Teslas flying East, South, North, and even West (Hawaii!).
Quick preview teaser for those still waiting: I awakened Christmas Day to a Version 4.1 update, and blue sky reflecting off the metallic blue frunk hood.
After much family time, as the afternoon was about to sink to evening, as others were sinking into an eggnog by the fire...I headed out, along winding, hilly farm roads west of Boston. I absolutely flew past winter fields and along centuries-old stone walls. In the foot steps of Paul Revere and Thoreau, Model S 1845 cut air like a chainsaw through butter, loving the encouragement coming form the accelerator, asking for more, tightly hugging corners meant for stagecoach. And as I felt my body sink into the driver's seat as G-forces rearranged my innards, I thought to myself - really - of how much fun the wait was because we shared the wait. I am aching to share the thrill of that drive with you all. WOW! So get your cars so you can share this thrill.

Enjoy!

I love these Delivery Notes - always recall my first look at The Model S, and here we are - Teslas flying East, South, North, and even West (Hawaii!).
Quick preview teaser for those still waiting: I awakened Christmas Day to a Version 4.1 update, and blue sky reflecting off the metallic blue frunk hood.
After much family time, as the afternoon was about to sink to evening, as others were sinking into an eggnog by the fire...I headed out, along winding, hilly farm roads west of Boston. I absolutely flew past winter fields and along centuries-old stone walls. In the foot steps of Paul Revere and Thoreau, Model S 1845 cut air like a chainsaw through butter, loving the encouragement coming form the accelerator, asking for more, tightly hugging corners meant for stagecoach. And as I felt my body sink into the driver's seat as G-forces rearranged my innards, I thought to myself - really - of how much fun the wait was because we shared the wait. I am aching to share the thrill of that drive with you all. WOW! So get your cars so you can share this thrill.

Enjoy!

The Electric Cars are coming, the Electric Cars are coming...

Fortunately for us they're faster than a horse. ;-)

picked up my Model S today @ the factory, the tour was great...P4726, VIN 2752

Blue, non-Perf, 85kWh, tan / pano roof, air suspension, a pleasure to drive as everyone knows.:biggrin:

Chipped windshield on the way home, bad luck. Some wind sounds from the passenger window, I'll have to have the service center look at that eventually.

Not so much to the West (Hawaii). Just got word that my car did not leave last monday as hoped. awaiting confirmation that it will leave next monday (or the monday after)
Dec 06 - Recieved Email "December Delivery is Available: Would you prefer Model S delivery ASAP..." (Yes, Delivery window Dec 19 to Jan 2nd):smile:
Dec 09 - Requested VIN. response was that my VIN was not available (until 10 days before delivery) and was told to expect delivery no later than the end of January.:frown:
Dec 11 - Recieved my VIN (2222) (Requested FedEx Address to send Payment via Email):smile:
Dec 12 - Requested FedEx Address to send Payment, again (on Phone with PS and was told to expect MVPA):confused:
Dec 15 - Requested FedEx Address to send Payment and status of MVPA (Saturday last day to send FedEx to arrive by Monday):eek:
Dec 16 - Recieved MVPA and completed (got FedEx address with MVPA page 5 and Sent bank Draft via FedEx):biggrin:
Dec 17 - Day Tesla Ships cars to Hawaii, but not Mine (Tesla waiting for Bank Draft):crying:
Dec 18 - verified my payment was recieved in full (2012 Fed Tax Credit?):smile:
Dec 24 - Day Tesla Ships cars to Hawaii, but not Mine (was told it was a holiday on Dec 24th? no cars shipped):cursing:
Dec 31 - Day Tesla Ships cars to Hawaii, We will see... (will it be another holiday?):crying:
Jan 6 - Estimated Arrival date for Ship departing Oakland (Jan 2nd):cool:
Jan 7 - First Possible date for delivery if the car leaves Freemont on Dec 31:rolleyes:
???? - Date I get my car??:biggrin::love::scared::biggrin:

21+ days after payment was verified
28+ days after getting VIN
33+ days after getting the "December Delivery" email
Just less than 2 Years after reservation.
I just want my car... the bank loan is already accruing interest...
Oh. and took vacation first week of Jan to "play" with new car. Rescheduled everyting for 2nd week. Cancel Cancel Cancel

Last edited:
UPS commercial trucking doesn't work this way. This isn't a customer focused area for UPS. The truck drivers drive all-day-everyday, they could care less about their cargo and just want a paycheck. Most of a truckers deliveries are to commercial businesses, so being cheery and responding to your phone calls is the last thing on their mind..
If Tesla is going to use independent contractors to deliver their cars, they probably need to select carriers who are wiling to communicate with the DS/DE teams. I understand that truckers don't care about the nature of their cargo, but they ultimately do care about whether they are selected to work for Tesla or need to find other work. I doubt that its too much to ask that they check in with Tesla once a day.

Tesla still shows my delivery for tomorrow, but the driver has been silent - he doesn't answer his phone and has not called to arrange delivery.

If Tesla is going to use independent contractors to deliver their cars, they probably need to select carriers who are wiling to communicate with the DS/DE teams. I understand that truckers don't care about the nature of their cargo, but they ultimately do care about whether they are selected to work for Tesla or need to find other work. I doubt that its too much to ask that they check in with Tesla once a day.

Tesla still shows my delivery for tomorrow, but the driver has been silent - he doesn't answer his phone and has not called to arrange delivery.

I agree with you. As revolutionary as Tesla is, it sucks that they cannot transform all aspects of the experience. In my day job, I have to ask companies to switch from Internet explorer 6 still so they can experience our product better! So I can imagine how frustrated Tesla employees probably are.

Tesla knows that people are mad about all this. But, I hope everyone with these types of delays and feelings of being left uninformed will tell their DS this. And, you should private message georgeB and let him know too!

Mark - My fingers are crossed for you, I hope they call tomorrow and say "I'm outside your house with your car!"

Given how much large companies care for their employees--similar to ants at a picnic--there's not much reason for them to put forth extra effort, unless that's just their nature to do so. Also a lot of truck drivers are just contractors and are paid so much a mile to haul cargo. They aren't paid to be a DS substitute. I wouldn't expect them to call until just before delivery and perhaps a day in advance so that they can drop off the car in the least amount of time and get on to the next delivery.

Given how much large companies care for their employees--similar to ants at a picnic--there's not much reason for them to put forth extra effort, unless that's just their nature to do so. Also a lot of truck drivers are just contractors and are paid so much a mile to haul cargo. They aren't paid to be a DS substitute. I wouldn't expect them to call until just before delivery and perhaps a day in advance so that they can drop off the car in the least amount of time and get on to the next delivery.

Jerry,

First, I find your comments terribly helpful and insightful.

But, I disagree with your position on this issue - I don't think anyone should expect a driver to become a DS, but it is desired for them to at least answer (whether manual or GPS automated) requests for position and for outlook from Tesla! This puts the driver in the chain of DS support, rather than substituting for them.

For those that want to be able to reach their driver on a cell phone, directly, I agree that's not a reasonable expectation. 8 (

David