Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Goes Terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't be necessary if Tesla had a competent CEO. The current one follows the "wham bam thankyou ma'am" model of doing business. That is, once he has your money for the car and you're out the door, that's all that matters.

I don't think that's true. I do think that he didn't realize how difficult it is to accomplish quality control, and when the cars turned out to have more problems than anticipated the service department was overwhelmed. The one advantage of the dealership model is that there's a far greater capacity to provide service. But the price for that is a predatory sales model and middlemen who scoop up as much profit as they can.

It wouldn't be necessary if Tesla had a competent CEO. The current one follows the "wham bam thankyou ma'am" model of doing business. That is, once he has your money for the car and you're out the door, that's all that matters.

That’s true. Just look at how Tesla forces you to buy a new car to get any new software features... oh, wait, that’s every other manufacturer.

There are plenty of old software features I prefer better.

Ok. How you feel about the software features doesn’t really matter here. The fact that Tesla continues to actively support your car, to the point of adding new features where possible, for free, unlike every other car manufacturer in the business, suggests there isn’t really a “no support once we get your money” attitude in everything they do.

Reactions: abasile
That is the theory. In practice, you have service centers that are overwhelmed.
Yes, there are issues with service capacity not being matched to service needs in some areas. Also, Tesla vehicles have required more service on certain items such as the door handles on earlier Model S builds and a number of other, Tesla-specific items. Overall, though, the trend seems to be toward less frequent service, which has certainly been true for us personally. As high mileage drivers, we particularly appreciate this!

Also, our non-Tesla EV, a Nissan LEAF purchased back in 2011, has been exceptionally reliable save for the excessively rapid battery capacity loss due to Nissan's poor battery pack design. It has needed very, very little dealer attention. If Nissan were selling only EVs, I suspect their dealers would not fare too well.

Reactions: croman
Yes, there are issues with service capacity not being matched to service needs in some areas. Also, Tesla vehicles have required more service on certain items such as the door handles on earlier Model S builds and a number of other, Tesla-specific items. Overall, though, the trend seems to be toward less frequent service, which has certainly been true for us personally. As high mileage drivers, we particularly appreciate this!

Also, our non-Tesla EV, a Nissan LEAF purchased back in 2011, has been exceptionally reliable save for the excessively rapid battery capacity loss due to Nissan's poor battery pack design. It has needed very, very little dealer attention. If Nissan were selling only EVs, I suspect their dealers would not fare too well.

My piece of *sugar* 2014 Nissan Leaf nearly killed me or my wife twice: both times Nissan has to replace the entire electrical system. And I just heard a few weeks ago it failed again for the person who bought the car as-is from us. The extended warranty still there so it’s getting replaced again. Nissan build quality isn’t all that

The real issue is iterative Tesla design improvements, Tesla’s vertical integration, and in some cases custom alloys

1. In most cases, Tesla is the mfg or is single sourced to one vendor
2. Tesla doesn’t maintain a “service line” per se to crank out door handles of vintage x while current product is vintage y
3. For castings, Tesla uses their own custom alloy
4. Tesla refuses to setup contract mfg with tooling and casting shops to allow them to shoot parts to maintain service ala AC Delco
5. Tesla won’t allow mfg of deprecated parts under license
6. JIT/Lean mfg isn’t made for service

Fix that and service would get better. It’s not the people Or the service center itself, it’s parts availability