Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Goes Terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree about Tesla cars being the best kept secret on the road today. Although virtually everyone has heard of Tesla, relatively few people understand that (1) Tesla cars are worth every penny, and (2) they might actually be able to afford one.

However, while I believe that Tesla needs to add many more stores and service centers and achieve consistent quality in the delivery process, I don't think Tesla needs anywhere near the number of locations that Ford and Chevy dealers have. If Tesla locations had approximately the same geographic density as Apple Store locations, while adding coverage in some areas far from large cities, that might be about right. It doesn't make sense to overbuild service centers for cars that don't require high maintenance, and sales locations don't need to compete with one another like traditional dealers do.

Even with the geographic density of Apple stores it wouldn't be enough. Afterall, if you have an Apple product that needs repair, you can go to any number of non-Apple affiliated repair centers and get your Apple product fixed. If you have a Tesla, that is almost impossible. And if you have a problem with the personnel at your local Tesla service center, you might have to drive 200+ miles to the next one. This certainly isn't the case with almost any other auto manufacturer (except the ultra exotics).

Tesla should franchise out their consumer automotive business and let independent dealers do the job.

My service experience has been interesting as well. It really seems to be about who you're dealing with. Calling my SC is hopeless. YOu can't even leave a message. But they will call you. When I had 6k miles on mine, I was told by the rep that it needed an alignment and I needed to pay for it. When it came time to pay, the next rep said, "Oh, you shouldn't be paying for this" and took it off. Beyond that one guy, everyone has been amazing and helpful. Now if I can only get them to reverse my Supercharge bill. It is frustrating that their customer service is so understaffed. Feels like the typical company where you lay off a ton of folks and then see where it hurts the most before you staff back up.

Refuse the car.

Do not accept a car that isn’t in the condition you expect. Then they can try to clean the interior, replace the interior, or sell the car at a discount.

While you have your money, you are in the driver’s seat. Once a car is accepted and paid for, it becomes a warranty issue, and since grubiness isn’t a warranty issue, it’ll be your grub.

So, walk away. Order another car if you like. But that one belongs to Tesla.

This is sad. No way to treat a customer. After I turned in my P90D that I had leased, I bought a 5 year old CPO Mercedes from a MB dealership. There was an area on the drivers seat that was noticeably dark, I suspect from the PO leather belt. I bought the car with them giving me a "We Owe" slip to correct the problem. The following week a driver from the MB dealership drove 60 miles to my home, gave me a new MB loaner car, took the car back to the dealership, and 2 days later made the 2nd 120 mile round trip returning the car with the seat in like new condition. I've now driven the car for 18 months and 30,000 miles and the seat still looks brand new.

Tesla needs to hire people from MB, Lexus, and other brands that are known for delivering outstanding customer service, because they clearly don't get it.

What also makes me sad is that I remember an early video that Tesla put out saying that they were hiring people from Apple, because they wanted Tesla owners to have, in their words "an Apple-like experience".

What you guys are describing doesn't exactly sound like and "Apple-like experience". More along the lines of a "Crabapple-like experience".

My guess: Tesla has grown too fast for its service department to keep up. I imagine they've sold more cars this year than in their entire history before that. They had excellent service. I think they just need to hire and train a lot more service people to deal with the fast-growing number of cars.

My guess: Tesla has grown too fast for its service department to keep up. I imagine they've sold more cars this year than in their entire history before that. They had excellent service. I think they just need to hire and train a lot more service people to deal with the fast-growing number of cars.

Daniel, this is not a sudden new problem occurring as a result of ramping up production. Tesla simply doesn't know how to deal with customer problems, but the bigger issue is that from how they operate (actions speak louder than words), they flat out don't give a crap about their customers. This is going to have severe brand loyalty effect.

Within weeks after taking delivery of my new 2015 P90D, I had a list of problems, and the response to each was "It's a known problem". That would be followed up by "You have to understand that we're a young company", to which I'd respond "no, you need to understand that I just bought a $120,500 car which is more expensive than a loaded brand new S class Mercedes. Please don't make your problem my problem".

Having bought and driven S class Mercedes for 20 years, I know what it takes to service high end luxury car buyers.

Tesla doesn't have a clue, leading to threads like this.

I'm truly very sorry that you've had to suffer this. But when I was driving my Roadster I got five-star service the whole time. And based on other comments on this thread, it sounds as though some service centers are excellent. It sounds to me as though some of the people in their too-slowly expanding service program are either poorly trained or overworked. Dump too much work on a person and they'll crack.

Reactions: aerodyne
I second the great service at Devon, PA. Never had any issues there...

Yep count me in on this as well. Was treated very well when I took my car in for service at the Devon SC.

Fortunately, I live in an area with three service centers within somewhat reasonable distance (Devon PA ~45 miles away, Cherry Hill NJ ~50 miles away, and Owing Mills MD ~90 miles away). I've been to all three and had good experiences at each one. There are no service centers in my state.

Reactions: Spelly88
Keep in mind, We the People are motivated to come to a digital forum to gripe about a systemic problem. Just imagine the far more numerous customers who experiences the same systemic problem, and instead gripe to friends and family.

Keep in mind, We the People are motivated to come to a digital forum to gripe about a systemic problem. Just imagine the far more numerous customers who experiences the same systemic problem, and instead gripe to friends and family.

But don't forget the truly massive number of people who have no problem at all, so do not bother to post, or even to seek out an online community on which to post "I didn't have a problem." The vast percentage of car owners do not belong to any car forums. We who post on TMC are a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners.

But don't forget the truly massive number of people who have no problem at all, so do not bother to post, or even to seek out an online community on which to post "I didn't have a problem." The vast percentage of car owners do not belong to any car forums. We who post on TMC are a tiny fraction of all Tesla owners.

Yes, I said that. But since satisfied customers are subject to the same systemic problem of customer service, it is logical to assume that a significant percentage will be as disappointed without saying so on a digital forum.

Even with the geographic density of Apple stores it wouldn't be enough. Afterall, if you have an Apple product that needs repair, you can go to any number of non-Apple affiliated repair centers and get your Apple product fixed. If you have a Tesla, that is almost impossible. And if you have a problem with the personnel at your local Tesla service center, you might have to drive 200+ miles to the next one. This certainly isn't the case with almost any other auto manufacturer (except the ultra exotics).
Keep in mind that not every issue with a Tesla vehicle requires a service center visit. Our Model S hasn't needed a service center visit in almost 1.5 years, and our Model 3 has never been to a service center since we bought it one year ago. We've had minor issues during the last year, but Tesla Mobile Service has come to our home to address the problems. We use a small, local auto shop for tires and other wear items. I will agree that, with more out-of-warranty Teslas on the road, Tesla should make it easier for independent auto shops to acquire parts and work on Tesla vehicles.

Tesla should franchise out their consumer automotive business and let independent dealers do the job.
I completely disagree with this. The current franchised dealer model depends on people taking their cars in for service. Ultimately, EVs should require far less service - mostly just tires, wipers, wiper fluid, maybe suspensions, and body work. Further, as a consumer, I really dislike the typical experience of purchasing a new car at a dealer. Our Tesla experiences have been far more pleasant (and not just our own experiences, those of our close friends and family as well).

Going to the Costa Mesa service center is a like a journey into Dante's Nine Circles of Hell Dante's 9 Circles of Hell: A Guide to the Structure of 'Inferno' … I dread bringing my vehicle there and unfortunately need to go back tonight for non-functioning LTE … pray for me!
Given that you're in Corona, CA, if you feel the Costa Mesa folks have not been fully professional, why not try a different service center next time you have a need? You really shouldn't have to do that, and it appears that Tesla needs to work toward more consistent quality across service centers. (Ensuring a quality experience at every service center would be far cheaper for Tesla than opening "redundant" service centers.) Now that Tesla has opened a service center in Pomona, we'll probably go there when needed. Previously, we used the Cathedral City (Palm Springs) service center, as it was easier for us to drive out there than to go to Buena Park. Cathedral City gave us truly excellent service.

Marina Del Ray where I picked up my P85+ 2014 back in May wouldn’t give me a due bill at all:
- tail lights out
- DU noise (got worse last 3 months)
- clicking sound in acceleration

Within 2 months on board charger failed during biz road trip. Thankfully got home and had that replaced under warranty.

Just yesterday, 9/11 got a new DU and lubricated hubs, HV cover, new FOB batteries and 4x inserts for the center console I never received. All gratis under warranty at the Sunnyvale SC, and I got a Raven 75D loaner to boot with carpool stickers for a day. They completed the job in 1 day instead of 2.

Just a few weeks ago they replaced my 3rd party installed rear door window with a new OEm and fixed alignment. All at parts cost and no labor.

So something is going right or at least getting better.

If you search my posts I’ve run scorched earth over Tesla for service and parts availability.

But losing the CPO status isn’t such a big deal if you know how to argue your warranty coverage. Tesla gave me absolutely zero hassle

Going to the Costa Mesa service center is a like a journey into Dante's Nine Circles of Hell Dante's 9 Circles of Hell: A Guide to the Structure of 'Inferno' … I dread bringing my vehicle there and unfortunately need to go back tonight for non-functioning LTE … pray for me!

As for the OPs original issue, I would have walked away until it was resolved.

Given that you're in Corona, CA, if you feel the Costa Mesa folks have not been fully professional, why not try a different service center next time you have a need? You really shouldn't have to do that, and it appears that Tesla needs to work toward more consistent quality across service centers. (Ensuring a quality experience at every service center would be far cheaper for Tesla than opening "redundant" service centers.) Now that Tesla has opened a service center in Pomona, we'll probably go there when needed. Previously, we used the Cathedral City (Palm Springs) service center, as it was easier for us to drive out there than to go to Buena Park. Cathedral City gave us truly excellent service.

Logistically Costa Mesa is better as I work in Irvine. I was told that Pomona is very small and can't really accommodate too many customers. I was also told that they are opening up SC in Santa Ana and Lake Forrest, if that ever happens it should ease up the pressure on CM SC. I'd love for Tesla to succeed, but their service quality will be the death of them. What will happen when the Model Y comes out? How about the Tesla Roadster? If I plunked down over $200K for a car, I'd expect PREMIER levels of service, not the 3 ring circus current state.

It wouldn't be necessary if Tesla had a competent CEO. The current one follows the "wham bam thankyou ma'am" model of doing business. That is, once he has your money for the car and you're out the door, that's all that matters.