Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Hayseed, I take solace in the fact this isn't a brand new platform, just a refresh, and it IS after all the high-end vehicle so they wouldn't want to cut corners and get flack for doing anything half-baked. With Tesla you kinda have to expect that there will always be new features introduced in a non-industry-standard (yet) timetable and at some point I'll be thinking, "Geez I shoulda waited for ---" but this car is going to be so mind-numbingly better than anything I've ever owned before (and I've owned some really fun cars, like an '09 Boxster S) that perfection is not required.

Just checked my account again. I think I need to call someone asap! My financing is totally fubar. Under Completed Tasks it shows the cost of the car before I changed back to the regular wheels, financed 100%. It shows that they owe me $4500. Deliver February 18 - March 18 for pickup in Houston.

Attachments

• 2021-02-10 18_47_51-Window.png
    2021-02-10 18_47_51-Window.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Hayseed, I take solace in the fact this isn't a brand new platform, just a refresh, and it IS after all the high-end vehicle so they wouldn't want to cut corners and get flack for doing anything half-baked. With Tesla you kinda have to expect that there will always be new features introduced in a non-industry-standard (yet) timetable and at some point I'll be thinking, "Geez I shoulda waited for ---" but this car is going to be so mind-numbingly better than anything I've ever owned before (and I've owned some really fun cars, like an '09 Boxster S) that perfection is not required.
Hummmm.... new front and rear castings replacing lots of smaller parts. New battery pack with new cell chemistry and cooling. New motors and HVAC system. New interior. New MCU. The only thing not new is the mostly carry over exterior.

Reactions: TurboBear
Hummmm.... new front and rear castings replacing lots of smaller parts. New battery pack with new cell chemistry and cooling. New motors and HVAC system. New interior. New MCU. The only thing not new is the mostly carry over exterior.

My last Model S was a 2017 with MCU1 so agree, feels like this is an entirely brand new vehicle. The exterior style and shape is iconic. I have no concern about ordering the refresh today as even my May 2017 build had plenty of issues and I don't think there are many examples of a more "steady state" vehicle as that was when it was built. It's a dice roll no matter what.

Last edited:
My last Model S was a 2017 with MCU1 so agree, feels like this is an entirely brand new vehicle. The exterior style and shape is iconic. I have no concern about ordering the refresh today as even my May 2017 build had plenty of issues and I don't think there are many examples of a more "steady state" vehicle as that was when it was built. It's a dice roll no matter what.
The mega-castings will increase build quality and consistency substantially, there’s no tolerance stack-up on a monolithic piece. I believe you can already see this increased consistency/quality in the rear of the MY vs the M3.

Fingers crossed for “in four days” :)

I have my doubts though

Mine is Feb 14- Mar 14. I seriously have no expectation of a car on Sunday.

I called the sales coordinator , and she told me it's more likely around March 1. They have not received any VINs for their customers , but she told me that they could get a large batch of VINs any day.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
The mega-castings will increase build quality and consistency substantially, there’s no tolerance stack-up on a monolithic piece. I believe you can already see this increased consistency/quality in the rear of the MY vs the M3.

Is that "confirmed"? I've certainly seen references to it and leaked pictures of the press(es), but having Tesla come out and verify would be nice.

My delivery of February 18 - March 18 has been removed. It now shows, "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date..."
upload_2021-2-12_15-46-56.png

Ditto here. Disappointing that they can't give everyone a better time expectation.

Since we have several people on this forum in the same situation, it will be useful to hear when anyone gets a VIN assigned.

With almost zero Model S or X deliveries since January 1, this isn't a mere 2 or 3 week shutdown. It sounds like they have lost at least 6 weeks of production, and probably more with this refresh. I wonder if this is longer than Tesla had originally planned?