Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled from the website ... if you order today, etc ... not a reflection of current orders, we won’t know until vins start popping up.

I'd like to make a crazy speculation.
These delivery dates may indicate that Tesla expects the backlog of LR will be caught up in 4-8 weeks at which time they will begin to produce Plaid. They expect to build them for the next few weeks at which time they will go back to building LR for newer orders for delivery in 6 to 12 weeks.

Just an interpretation of the newly revised delivery windows. I am admittedly optimistic and biased, having a LR in the current sales backlog.

I'd like to make a crazy speculation.
These delivery dates may indicate that Tesla expects the backlog of LR will be caught up in 4-8 weeks at which time they will begin to produce Plaid. They expect to build them for the next few weeks at which time they will go back to building LR for newer orders for delivery in 6 to 12 weeks.

Just an interpretation of the newly revised delivery windows. I am admittedly optimistic and biased, having a LR in the current sales backlog.

My contrarian view is that Tesla recognizes the much higher profit margin on Plaid versions, and will produce to meet demand with Plaid first, and then do LR once they get the Plaid caught up.

Will say that I will probably pull both our orders if they delay ours 6-12 weeks more. After telling us several dates already, just cannot keep being misled.

Don't piss on my head and tell me it is raining...

I'd say hang in there. My first order was in 2012, and I ordered the Multicoat Red. Nobody at Tesla bothered to mention that Multicoat Red wasn't actually finished with development, and they didn't actually make any Multicoat cars until March 2013.

I got my car almost 6 months after ordering, but it was worth the wait.

Reactions: DrJ
I ordered a LR with Full self driving on January 31st to be picked up I’m Monterey. Delivery is still showing March 1 to March 31. I have since wanted to modify my order to a Plaid without FSD, another color, blue, (sure wish they’d get some new colors), and pick it up in Fremont. My question is how do I do that and do you think it will delay delivery substantially.

I ordered a LR with Full self driving on January 31st to be picked up I’m Monterey. Delivery is still showing March 1 to March 31. I have since wanted to modify my order to a Plaid without FSD, another color, blue, (sure wish they’d get some new colors), and pick it up in Fremont. My question is how do I do that and do you think it will delay delivery substantially.
I'd use the chat window on Tesla.com

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
just got my refresh order updated on the site. I'm sat I had to downgrade to the LR. But I couldn't justify the 40000.00 jump in price. I also noticed the added on a destination charge of 1,200.00. Whats up with that? It wasn't on my original order.
There's been a $1200 delivery fee since at least 2018 when I took delivery of the 3, ordered a Y that arrived last December, same charge. I suspect you missed it on the first one.

Reactions: reddy
My contrarian view is that Tesla recognizes the much higher profit margin on Plaid versions, and will produce to meet demand with Plaid first, and then do LR once they get the Plaid caught up.
I agree with Reddy - Plaid very likely to come first. Margin, also halo effect. "You get one chance to make a first impression."

I read delivery delays as Tesla needing more time to debug volume production. As mentioned above, there's a lot that's new with this refresh.

Tesla probably believed, correctly, that they could shake down problems during early production with Model 3 and Model Y. Different marketplace now - many credible competitors will be available this year. If the S & X aren't nearly perfect from the start, risk-averse buyers will likely prefer offerings from established auto companies, or startups that haven't shipped any products. No customers complaining about panel fit on hypothetical vehicles, are there?

Finally, wild speculation - could FSD beta have revealed data deficits that triggered sensory improvements in refreshed models? Sharper camera resolution (better speed and distance estimates) or better color rendition (better object and edge recognition)? Better radar (phantom suppression)? More units?

Reactions: rosegrif1 and reddy
Ordered Jan 27, MS LR blue with white interior, changed wheels from 19 to 21 a week later. Still showing Mar 1-31 EDD. Also at the insurance step, no VIN.

Did you convert or was it a new order?

Was in talking with the SA about changing my black interior to white now. He said I was still in priority que due to converting over but it mat delay a couple weeks. No biggie, so I will stock with black interior.

My delivery of February 18 - March 18 has been removed. It now shows, "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date..."

I guess I'm a little slow in my old age --- It just occurred to me that you have just described the Lucid strategy. You may be right. I may be naive. I have only been following al this since November and placed my first order in December. I have had some good car purchase stories through the years but this is the most drawn out and speculation filled.

It's extremely odd to me that Elon mentioned doing a call/presentation regarding the S/X refresh two weeks ago and nothing has been said since. My order still shows March 1 - March 31 (ordered Feb 1), but I do wonder if we are going to get any information. It's actually really frustrating. The lines have been open now for a month and there's not a single Model S or X that has been delivered or even demoed for us to see the updates/new features.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
Yeah it’s pretty crazy that Tesla can easily get away with extremely bad practices in customer service. It’s sucks to be in the dark for a 90k car that Elon said is “being delivered this month” (February) and that a separate call will happen in about a week (from the earnings call), but not one peep of info since then LOL. Tesla at its finest. I do believe it will be worth the wait though.

For anyone who had an order in pre-refresh & is expecting the $2k pricing adjustment, is that adjustment shown on your updated order agreement?

I submitted my initial order 1/13. Waited for a while after the refresh announcement hoping to see the "Edit Design" option in my online account but it never showed up. Sent my final order details to my sales rep via text on 2/10 & got an email PDF with the updated order agreement on 2/14. Everything is accurate on the updated order agreement, but the $2k pricing adjustment isn't shown anywhere.

Also - I'm still not seeing a EDD anywhere online.

Last edited: