Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S EPA range discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something more vile than Musk? That must have been a bitter pill.
I've considered Saudi to be vile well before I even knew who Elon Musk was.
Lucid seems like they are likely to fail. Mostly due to mismanagement because Lord knows they've had all the money in the world from the Saudi Fund. But the Saudi's have indicated they aren't going to fund it forever. We'll see.
Maybe. Probably. I think their problem was they tried to occupy a niche that was too small. There may have been room for a grand touring EV super sedan, but the Taycan hitting the streets 2 years before the Air basically destroyed any momentum the car could have had in building a name for itself.

The Gravity could be interesting. The EV SUV market is pretty crowded, but pretty much all of the offerings are pretty cookie cutter. But if the Rivian R2 and Macan EV are on the roads before it, then I think they'll still have trouble moving inventory

I have never thought ANY EPA number was gospel, just a guide. But in the last several years I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos of owners and so-called "reviewers" testing EV range under varying real-world conditions. So when I ordered our first Tesla in 2020 (an LR AWD Y with an EPA rating of 316 miles) I knew it would NEVER achieve that in real-world driving unless you could get your wh/mi down to 245. I never understood the folks acting surprised when they could meet that number in real-world conditions.

It was also very educational that I owned 3 Volts from 2012-2020 (2012, 2013, and 2017 as our DDs and experienced firsthand a wild swing in the available range. I saw a 50% drop in range in the dead of winter. So when we bought our first Tesla none of this was a surprise. The Volt was a good BRIDGE vehicle to a BEV for newbs like me.

FTR my LIFETIME average wh/mi for our 2020 LR AWD and now 2022 MYP with a combined 42K miles and 10 long road trips is 272 wh/mi. I have no complaints.

But I am surprised that the Model S LR didn't take a BIG hit like the 3/Y did.

Last edited:
But I am surprised that the Model S LR didn't take a BIG hit like the 3/Y did.
Seems like they changed the tires. Tesla notes a “TS” spec of the all season tires as the latest spec. Until my2023 they used the t1 spec tires. Which is what the usual tire vendors still carry.

They really wanted the range to be above 400 miles for marketing purposes.

Agreed. I never got EPA ratings for ICE vehicles, either. I'm fine with it.

Still, I think there should be more reality with it, so I think this engagement that is presently underway will make these published estimates better. I recall Out Of Spec's 70mph highway range result was 367 miles on a '22 Plaid, and the revised range estimate is 359 on Tesla's website today, so it's probably a good thing. Both MXLR and MXP also look similarly realistic now.

I also understand them trying to maximize the range estimate for their longest range vehicle, the MSLR, so I'm sure that's part of the back-and-forth on it now.

And let's not forget that a fully charged MSP 19" with a brand new battery actually displays 347 miles and not 359 but if you switch to 21" wheel config, it displays the correct 320 miles.

Reactions: dn325ci