Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S EPA range discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EPA does not do any testing. Each manufacturer does its own testing and submits their results to the EPA. Tesla has always had the least accurate results taking advantage of flaws in EPA's methodology. EPA finally made it stricter, which forced Tesla to revise its rosy estimates. The changes were optional to implement for MY2023, mandatory for MY2024. Tesla apparently did not do its due diligence and test the cars early enough to avoid potential issues.

Presumably with the MSLR specifically, they tried implementing some bullshit changes to try to keep the range estimate above 400 miles, and the EPA is probably calling them out on it.
You're making a lot of assumptions there... And EPA does sometimes do testing. (I think the last delay for Model S deliveries was because the EPA was doing the testing and they screwed up the procedures, getting a result under 400 miles, and Tesla made them re-test properly following procedures to get the correct results.)

We will just have to wait and see what happens. (I assumed Tesla was opting to use the 2023 values for the Model S since the vehicle hasn't changed, so they aren't required to switch to the new 2024 test procedures.)

This test doesn't seem like it would factor in aerodynamics or CD which is key for efficiency.
I'm pretty sure that a "roll down" test is performed to get the aero drag numbers and that is applied to the dyno test results to get the real numbers.

Yes, just like we can count on you only looking at the events with rose tinted goggles.

See, I would think Tesla should be working to report the most accurate range number that they can, not maximizing the number. But hey, I guess honesty is overrated.
Yes! It's kinda become my job, which I'm finding myself enjoying. Thanks for noticing.

How many manufacturers have been throttled on these issues? As @popgodazipa pointed out earlier today, this is the mantle the EPA has taken on. Frankly, in the ICE world it was more of a necessity, though debatable in EV landscape, as he said. Many, many manfuacturers have been "caught" later by the EPA. I remember Hyundai/Kia getting in big trouble 2 years ago because EPA said they overstated MPG estimate. The tension will continue and other manufacturers will continue to have these conflicts. So it is.

Yes! It's kinda become my job, which I'm finding myself enjoying
Ah so you are a paid shill like I always suspected. That clears up a lot

How many manufacturers have been throttled on these issues? As @popgodazipa pointed out earlier today, this is the mantle the EPA has taken on. Frankly, in the ICE world it was more of a necessity, though debatable in EV landscape, as he said. Many, many manfuacturers have been "caught" later by the EPA. I remember Hyundai/Kia getting in big trouble 2 years ago because EPA said they overstated MPG estimate. The tension will continue and other manufacturers will continue to have these conflicts. So it is.
To my knowledge, Tesla is the only EV manufacturer that has seen reduced ranges or EVs temporarily barred from sale with the updated procedure.

Yes it's the EPA's job to hold manufacturers to a standard, periodically update the standards to adapt to a changing market, and enforce those standards, no one is denying that. But certainly Tesla is the only one that seems to have deliberately taken advantage of flaws with the old procedure to exaggerate range to such a degree.

To my knowledge, Tesla is the only EV manufacturer that has seen reduced ranges or EVs temporarily barred from sale with the updated procedure.

Yes it's the EPA's job to hold manufacturers to a standard and enforce those standards, no one is denying that. But certainly Tesla is the only one that seems to have deliberately taken advantage of flaws with the old procedure to exaggerate range to such a degree.
To your knowledge! Pays to be unknowledgeable!

Has the EPA said they are barred from sale? I think Tesla is wanting EPA retesting and they initiated this hold.

But I'm going to agree with you that I think Tesla's range estimates have been bigger than most. I recall a video (a year ago?) of many EV's testing against their range, and almost all of them fell short, but as a % my recollection was that Tesla's ranges were a bigger reduction, by about 10% more off than the Mach E as I recall.

Reactions: eBear
Not a big poster here, I just follow this thread to see what’s up with my order. But can we take the other chatter to another thread please and keep this one on topic? Thanks

The earlier political discussion on Elon's worthiness for sure doesn't belong here but the chatter about EPA testing and arguments about the delays, motivations, testing accuracy, etc totally belong here because they have relevance on when Tesla might start releasing MSLRs.

Besides, I'd just prepared popcorn to sit down and watch the Friday night fight here. Much more interesting than anything on tv :p

To your knowledge! Pays to be unknowledgeable!
Are you aware of an EV other than Tesla that has its listed range reduced due to the rule changes? Similarly, are you aware of an EV that has been barred from sale due to differences in rule changes?
Has the EPA said they are barred from sale? I think Tesla is wanting EPA retesting and they initiated this hold.
It's not so much that the EPA has said anything. It's more what they haven't done - i.e issue a certificate of conformity. Tesla cannot legally sell MY2024 cars without having a certificate of conformity issued for MY2024 models. Most of the time they just need to do the testing for the initial introduction of a model and get a certificate. For future years if there are no significant hardware/software changes that impact the stuff EPA cares about for subsequent model years, they just resubmit the original testing and get issued a certificate. For MY2024 they were required to use the new procedure, so they had to retest all of their cars. To date the MSLR and MYP have yet to be issued certificates.

None of us know 100% why that certificate hasn't been issued. We'll probably never know the full details. All we know is that there is a holdup that is apparently expected to resolve in early March -- though the date has been slipping every time the anticipated date has approached.

Reactions: dsm363
The earlier political discussion on Elon's worthiness for sure doesn't belong here but the chatter about EPA testing and arguments about the delays, motivations, testing accuracy, etc totally belong here because they have relevance on when Tesla might start releasing MSLRs.

Besides, I'd just prepared popcorn to sit down and watch the Friday night fight here. Much more interesting than anything on tv :p
It is amusing how some here think the EPA is the 'testing agency' that tests all cars.

But I expect the range of the long range Model S to drop.

Reactions: aerodyne
Are you aware of an EV other than Tesla that has its listed range reduced due to the rule changes? Similarly, are you aware of an EV that has been barred from sale due to differences in rule changes?
My cheap swing and a miss at an underhand pitch. Bad joke. My apologies. I have no more knowledge about it than you. Probably less.
None of us know 100% why that certificate hasn't been issued. We'll probably never know the full details. All we know is that there is a holdup that is apparently expected to resolve in early March -- though the date has been slipping every time the anticipated date has approached.
Right. I don't think it's beneficial to "suspect" or "postulate" who's right or wrong. You say Tesla. @popgodazipa is suspect of EPA, which I have historical suspicions about, too. Reasons. All pure speculation.

My cheap swing and a miss at an underhand pitch. Bad joke. My apologies. I have no more knowledge about it than you. Probably less.

Right. I don't think it's beneficial to "suspect" or "postulate" who's right or wrong. You say Tesla. @popgodazipa is suspect of EPA, which I have historical suspicions about, too. Reasons. All pure speculation.
Well keep in mind the Model S LR is the only model Tesla claims has miraculously managed to maintain the same range under the new test (while the Plaid lost 36 miles for the 19" variant and 28 for the 21"). So I think it stands to reason that Tesla was trying to game the numbers to be able to market themselves as having a >400 mile EV for sale.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and sorka
Well keep in mind the Model S LR is the only model Tesla claims has miraculously managed to maintain the same range under the new test (while the Plaid lost 36 miles for the 19" variant and 28 for the 21"). So I think it stands to reason that Tesla was trying to game the numbers to be able to market themselves as having a >400 mile EV for sale.
We agree! Yes, I think they are working their asses off to save as much range as possible on MSLR, and in their best interest to do so. Probably led to a tire change and in turn a max speed change, although the timing of the change relative to actual VIN cutoff of '23 seems not precise.

I think your phrasing of "gaming" is unfortunate. But I think you realize that every company in the world tries to work in their best interest and that of their shareholders.

If the other "assumption" is that Tesla didn't do their due diligence and try to take care of this early... I mean that's simply fact. You can verify with the EPA itself when the documents were submitted. Most were in December. Some not until after the New Year. Had they planned earlier, they could have avoided this situation where they don't have a valid certificate of conformity for cars they are trying to sell. They could have submitted the testing as early as Summer 2022 (when the changes were announced) for MY2022 or 1/1/2023 for either MY2023 or 2024.
You can't test the vehicles until you are making them. If they didn't make any 2024 model year vehicles until December they couldn't have submitted earlier. They were probably working on the assumption that the EPA would process/approve them in the same time as in the past.

Well keep in mind the Model S LR is the only model Tesla claims has miraculously managed to maintain the same range under the new test (while the Plaid lost 36 miles for the 19" variant and 28 for the 21").
Where have they said that? I don't think they have.
They could be using the exception that allows them to continue using the prior rating because there were no changes. Maybe the EPA disagrees and thinks there are changes that require using the new procedures.

We agree! Yes, I think they are working their asses off to save as much range as possible on MSLR, and in their best interest to do so. Probably led to a tire change and in turn a max speed change, although the timing of the change relative to actual VIN cutoff of '23 seems not precise.

I think your phrasing of "gaming" is unfortunate. But I think you realize that every company in the world tries to work in their best interest and that of their shareholders.
Like VW then I assume. In your opinion, were they just looking out for their shareholders or gaming the system?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
You can't test the vehicles until you are making them. If they didn't make any 2024 model year vehicles until December they couldn't have submitted earlier. They were probably working on the assumption that the EPA would process/approve them in the same time as in the past.

Where have they said that? I don't think they have.
They could be using the exception that allows them to continue using the prior rating because there were no changes. Maybe the EPA disagrees and thinks there are changes that require using the new procedures.
They usually test preproduction vehicles themselves and submit the data. The EPA only tests about 15% of cars and trucks.