Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Goodyear Eagle replacement tires VERY hard to find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's time to get new tires for my 2014 Model S (31k miles on the Primacy's) . I'm trying to decide between the Pirelli P7s or the GoodYear Eagle Touring TO's.

I know Goodyear doesn't have a stellar reputuation in some circles so I'd like to get see some user reviews of the TO's. The strange thing is that I see them listed on Tirerack.com and Goodyear websites, but neither show any customer reviews - which is odd because the Pirelli Cinturato P7 has more than 800. I know the GoodYear TO is relatively new but by now I would expect some definitive reviews.

The Tesla shop says it's very popular and they can't keep them in stock... yet I see a handful of people selling theirs in this forum.

Any first hand experiences with the GoodYear TOs that yall can share?

Thanks,
AliseATX

Reactions: Vern Padgett
So it's time to get new tires for my 2014 Model S (31k miles on the Primacy's) . I'm trying to decide between the Pirelli P7s or the GoodYear Eagle Touring TO's.

I know Goodyear doesn't have a stellar reputuation in some circles so I'd like to get see some user reviews of the TO's. The strange thing is that I see them listed on Tirerack.com and Goodyear websites, but neither show any customer reviews - which is odd because the Pirelli Cinturato P7 has more than 800. I know the GoodYear TO is relatively new but by now I would expect some definitive reviews.

The Tesla shop says it's very popular and they can't keep them in stock... yet I see a handful of people selling theirs in this forum.

Any first hand experiences with the GoodYear TOs that yall can share?

Thanks,
AliseATX
I have them on my 2016 Model S. They have just over 23k miles on them and they are just about worn out. I expected them to last about 20k miles total so they are doing better than expected. I have never had good luck with any Goodyear tires that I have had but these have been fine so far.

• Helpful
I tried the P7s. They'd be fine for 'normal' driving, but I didn't like the way they let go. You hit the traction limit and they just let GO. It's like the grip is on/off. The original ones on mine grip, then when they let go, it's a progressive loss of traction. Much easier to control.

but... that's only if you go around sliding the car ;)

I have them on my 2016 Model S. They have just over 23k miles on them and they are just about worn out. I expected them to last about 20k miles total so they are doing better than expected. I have never had good luck with any Goodyear tires that I have had but these have been fine so far.

Thanks! This is helpful... I had a suspicion they might wear relatively fast. Do you find them to be exceptionally quiet? That could be worth the lower miles.

• Helpful
I tried the P7s. They'd be fine for 'normal' driving, but I didn't like the way they let go. You hit the traction limit and they just let GO. It's like the grip is on/off. The original ones on mine grip, then when they let go, it's a progressive loss of traction. Much easier to control.

but... that's only if you go around sliding the car ;)

Oh my.. that's sounds scary!

I heard a few people comment that the Low Rolling Resistance tires provide noticeably less and odd feeling traction. That could be a serious issue with the elevated highway flyovers we have here in Texas and how fast I like to take them. :)

As someone commented, choosing tires is a process of balancing what compromises one is going to make... LRR "eco-friendly" is now dropped from my list of requirements - I'm "eco" enough just driving my lovely EV. :)

Thanks for the info!

I heard a few people comment that the Low Rolling Resistance tires provide noticeably less and odd feeling traction. That could be a serious issue with the elevated highway flyovers we have here in Texas and how fast I like to take them. :)

As someone commented, choosing tires is a process of balancing what compromises one is going to make... LRR "eco-friendly" is now dropped from my list of requirements - I'm "eco" enough just driving my lovely EV. :)

Thanks for the info!

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which Tesla was using as the OEM tires for several years, are low rolling resistance, and I have never had traction issues with them. The Pirelli Cinturatos are known to have some traction issues with launches, but otherwise are great tires.

Be aware, however, that the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are All-Season Grand Touring tires, and as such are tuned for ride comfort, low noise, and low energy use, not handling or extreme traction. If you want to race, use Max Performance Summer tires or High-Performance All-Season tires.

• Helpful
I have Goodyear Eagle Touring TO Tesla tires on mine. I've almost 30K on them. I was tardy with rotating my tires, so they are unevenly worn: 4/32 in front (used to be mainly in the back) and 7/32 in back (used to be mainly in front). Lots of highway driving in one year. With better rotation I might have gotten even wear of approx 5/32 on them, which means I could have gotten them to last to perhaps 35K miles. But that's my own error. The tires themselves are alright. Perhaps a little noisier now. But I haven't driven another tire this many miles on the car for comparison. I'll replace them soon, either with A/S 3+, Primacy MXMs or P7s.

• Helpful
Thanks! This is helpful... I had a suspicion they might wear relatively fast. Do you find them to be exceptionally quiet? That could be worth the lower miles.
It's really hard to say since I don't really have anything else to compare them to. They are not any more noisy than the factory tires that were on my Leaf or my i3. I probably won't buy another set though as the Michelins are the same price on Tire Rack. I'm also looking at the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. They are comparably priced and seem to have a really long life.

Here is my experience with tires after 110,000 miles in a bit more than 4 years. I have experienced two different sets of Goodyears tires, three different sets of Michelin all seasons, plus 2 sets of MIchelin Xice Xi3 winter tires. All 19s.

We live in the Sierra near Yosemite Nation Park, so much of our driving in on curvy mountain roads, plus frequent trips to Sacramento, the Bay area, LA and one trip to Michigan and back. I generally put on all seasons in the spring and hope there is some tread left by the time I need to switch back to winter tires in the early winter.

In my experience tires make a huge difference in how the car feels and handles. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s made the car feel very responsive and sporty while my current Goodyear Eagle Touring (with the foam) make it seem more like a 60s Cadillac. I loved the Pilot Sports on the local winding roads and love the Eagle Touring tires driving up the 99 freeway to Sacramento as the pavement on many patches of 99 is less than ideal. The Pilot Sports seemed to dance up and down our local winding roads, always on their toes and seemed to turn just the right amount if I just thought about turning. The A/S 3s could be quite noisy on rough services and a bit stiff on bumps. The Eagle Touring feel a bit more like you are riding on balloons, not nearly as quick on the turn in with a bit of hesitation and oscillation. The Eagle Touring tires are quieter and much smoother with any roughness in the road and you actually notice more wind noise as a result. In general the Eagle Touring make the MS seem more like a luxury car rather than a sports car. Vice versa for the A/S 3s.

I have only gotten 20,000 miles of tread wear, plus or minus, from my original Goodyear Eagle GTs, (?) a set of Goodyear Primacy tires, and two sets of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (with or without the plus). It is early days with the Eagle Touring. For what it is worth, my local tire shop had no trouble getting the TO Tesla Eagle Touring tires.

I have not seen any change in energy use with the A/S 3s vs the Primacy or the original Goodyear tires, but that is likely because our mileage is influenced by the percentage of driving we do in the mountains. Your mileage may vary. Likewise, so far, there has been no winner in terms of tread wear. I just have to hope that my “summer” all seasons make it to the winter when I swap to the Xi3s, which, BTW, I really like.

What will I get next spring? Good question. It depends on how the Eagle Touring do in terms of tread wear and/or energy use. The answer is also not easy because it really depends what is important, a sportier feel or more comfort. I guess it is good to have the choice, if you can’t have it all. Maybe the Primacy is the happy medium?

As someone commented, choosing tires is a process of balancing what compromises one is going to make... LRR "eco-friendly" is now dropped from my list of requirements - I'm "eco" enough just driving my lovely EV.

Thanks for the info!
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which Tesla was using as the OEM tires for several years, are low rolling resistance, and I have never had traction issues with them. The Pirelli Cinturatos are known to have some traction issues with launches, but otherwise are great tires.

Be aware, however, that the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are All-Season Grand Touring tires, and as such are tuned for ride comfort, low noise, and low energy use, not handling or extreme traction. If you want to race, use Max Performance Summer tires or High-Performance All-Season tires.

Thanks!

Here is my experience with tires after 110,000 miles in a bit more than 4 years. I have experienced two different sets of Goodyears tires, three different sets of Michelin all seasons, plus 2 sets of MIchelin Xice Xi3 winter tires. All 19s.

We live in the Sierra near Yosemite Nation Park, so much of our driving in on curvy mountain roads, plus frequent trips to Sacramento, the Bay area, LA and one trip to Michigan and back. I generally put on all seasons in the spring and hope there is some tread left by the time I need to switch back to winter tires in the early winter.

In my experience tires make a huge difference in how the car feels and handles. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s made the car feel very responsive and sporty while my current Goodyear Eagle Touring (with the foam) make it seem more like a 60s Cadillac. I loved the Pilot Sports on the local winding roads and love the Eagle Touring tires driving up the 99 freeway to Sacramento as the pavement on many patches of 99 is less than ideal. The Pilot Sports seemed to dance up and down our local winding roads, always on their toes and seemed to turn just the right amount if I just thought about turning. The A/S 3s could be quite noisy on rough services and a bit stiff on bumps. The Eagle Touring feel a bit more like you are riding on balloons, not nearly as quick on the turn in with a bit of hesitation and oscillation. The Eagle Touring tires are quieter and much smoother with any roughness in the road and you actually notice more wind noise as a result. In general the Eagle Touring make the MS seem more like a luxury car rather than a sports car. Vice versa for the A/S 3s.

I have only gotten 20,000 miles of tread wear, plus or minus, from my original Goodyear Eagle GTs, (?) a set of Goodyear Primacy tires, and two sets of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (with or without the plus). It is early days with the Eagle Touring. For what it is worth, my local tire shop had no trouble getting the TO Tesla Eagle Touring tires.

I have not seen any change in energy use with the A/S 3s vs the Primacy or the original Goodyear tires, but that is likely because our mileage is influenced by the percentage of driving we do in the mountains. Your mileage may vary. Likewise, so far, there has been no winner in terms of tread wear. I just have to hope that my “summer” all seasons make it to the winter when I swap to the Xi3s, which, BTW, I really like.

What will I get next spring? Good question. It depends on how the Eagle Touring do in terms of tread wear and/or energy use. The answer is also not easy because it really depends what is important, a sportier feel or more comfort. I guess it is good to have the choice, if you can’t have it all. Maybe the Primacy is the happy medium?

Thanks shs. This is super helpful - exactly the assessment I was looking for. What a gorgeous part of the country you live in... and lucky you getting to drive it in a Tesla! Wouldn't get much better than that for me... :)

I don't get out to the Texas hill country very often these days unfortunately... mostly highway and farmland, so am thinking I will Cadillac it for the next 20k miles or so, and maybe spark things up down the road.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the super helpful writeup. I'm just down 49 from you in the Oakhurst area, with a similar driving profile to you. I have just about 20k on the OEM Goodyears and they're almost shot so I've been weighing replacement options with the A/S 3 being the most likely alternative.

From your description I think I'd love the A/S 3 for half of my driving and loathe them for the other half... so I think you just convinced me to stick with the Goodyears for one more cycle.

My 4 month old 90D came with Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires.

Three days ago, I picked up a nail dead center in the middle of the tread (no sidewall damage at all), and the tire has a slow leak (3-5 PSI loss overnight), so it's still driveable.

I go to the local tire shop, and when the tech pulls the tire off the rim, he sees a layer of foam on the inside circumference of the tire. He's never seen this. The boss comes over to look, and says that due to the foam, he won't repair the nail hole. He does not know what the foam is for.

Boss sends me to the Goodyear store down the street. Now it gets odd...The man behind the Goodyear counter cannot find this tire in the Goodyear web site. He calls various Goodyear numbers, and no one can find this exact tire anywhere in the Goodyear system! They won't/can't tell me if the tire can be repaired or not.

While the agent is making still more calls to various Goodyear numbers, I call Tire Rack. The agent sees the tire in his system, but they are out of stock with no ETA for future deliveries.

I call Tesla Scottsdale, and they have...1...in stock. I buy it, and it'll be shipped to me in Flagstaff middle of the week.

I tell the Tesla service guy (who was very helpful) that it's odd that Tesla is shipping (almost) new cars with tires that can't be easily be replaced. What I I had been out on a the road, and the tire was totally unserviceable? He tells me that all new Teslas come with the foam lining in the tire for road noise reduction, and it could be that the tires are built by Goodyear to Tesla specs, and that could be why they don't generally show up in Goodyear or Tire Rack or Discount Tire inventory systems.

Be aware that if you have Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires, you will probably have trouble getting one replaced.

I welcome any comments!
I made it 1500 miles on my new Eagle Touring 245/45 R19 tires before I picked up a nail on I-90, car is 15 days old. SC would not attempt a repair and wanted 280 to replace. Goodyear dealer is replacing it for 185. Next set will be Michelin. Why did Goodyear build a tire that cannot tolerate a simple nail puncture.... No Warranty :(

I made it 1500 miles on my new Eagle Touring 245/45 R19 tires before I picked up a nail on I-90, car is 15 days old. SC would not attempt a repair and wanted 280 to replace. Goodyear dealer is replacing it for 185. Next set will be Michelin. Why did Goodyear build a tire that cannot tolerate a simple nail puncture.... No Warranty :(
Most tires cannot tolerate extremely sharp objects going through them. I don't believe this is a problem with Goodyear, but moreso where the puncture is exactly on the tire. Even China tires can be plugged if the puncture is in an ideal location. You have about 1-2 inches inwards from the sidewall that cannot be plugged if a nail goes through that section, and of course a sidewall puncture cannot be repaired.
Now that you know the foam isn't a structural part of the tire, there should be no issue putting a plug through it.