Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Hillclimb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a hill climb this last weekend. pretty fun. It was like trying to drive part of the uphill teslive drive as fast as you can, although that road might have been more fun at speed?

Hoopa Hillclimb

The hill is Pine creek road in Hoopa, CA
1160 vertical feet 2.2 miles

here are results by rank overall. only one other in my class
http://www.rscc.net/pdf/Hoopa_2013_Final_Rank.pdf
Tesla did pretty well considering the power limit for the long straight away + my crappy driving. Next year I will set a record!

this was my first run ever! I got red flagged due to the car in front of me throwing a rod halfway up the hill. ( he swapped motors that night and ran the next day.. it was a VW dune buggy)
The Model S w/ safety feature
F ext.JPG

'Unfortunate' 370z -Driver was ok just minor scratch. This was his second run and he was going to probably be king of the hill. That car was really fast.
370z.JPG

A Tesla 'T'
photo(2).JPG

And the king of the hill (and the most expensive car running by a large margin of $)
photo(2).JPG

This was my last run and fastest. I did a couple of corners ok near the bottom of the hill but most were not great. Tough to learn a road in just a couple of runs and try and be safe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fred42
Stupid and irresponsible. You are lucky a deer didn't run out into the road and smash into your car. How many laws did you break by doing this for fun and cool?

I know you don't need to hear this, but you just publicly posted evidence that can be used to prosecute you for the laws your broke. Speeding and reckless driving are two that come to mind. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to do this at a race track and not on a public road. You could have killed someone - including yourself.

Dude, these are sanctioned events. They close off the roads for them. He didn't break a single law.

Yep, I questioned the F ext. but they said electrical fires can happen too... I just figured maybe I'll see a gas car on fire and need it :tongue:

I wanted to put a cam in the car also but tried to get a go-pro too late to add a second camera.
Maybe for the next one...I'm plan on signing up today :biggrin: (Aug 17-18)

I only ran one run with music - and it was my fastest run.

played - Groove Holmes
since it was 2:20 and then I'd know how close I was to the finish at the time the music stopped
the whole album is pretty good instrumental.

here is the elevation data from the first run w/ the flag

elevation run 1.jpg

it is a little strange how it dips a bit near turns but I had it in my center console area and it is a pressure based elevation device for RC airplanes/ helis.
the overall is pretty good and you can see it maintained the calibration when I came back down for a rerun.

Awesome! I so want to do the Maryhill Loops hill climb with the Audi club here in WA next month but have prior commitments.

Must have been eerie for the corner workers to have a silent car fly by :) Any interesting comments from people there?

Nice. I was going to do the Bible creek but i think i'll wait until next year. and just do autocross next weekend instead.
Everyone loved that I had the car out there. 50% of racers were from out of California. They all loved the silence and how fast it is out of corners. It smokes the first half of the hill then gets a little slower for the end but still pretty fast

here is my run group near the top of the hill - 'turn 10' is a straightaway right before the last hard corner. I should have as much speed as the fastest cars If I wasn't power limited, still not slow thought.