Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new replacement cord, just haven't installed it yet. I'll try the contact cleaner.

I used my multimeter to test the cord and I was able to get continuity for all but one of the pins. But, I know there's a circuit board in the handle that sends the charge door open signal, I didn't expect it to be so straight forward.

Would you be able to test / ohm out your charger cable to see if I should have continuity on all pins?

There will not be continuity on all pins. Looking at the plug and going clockwise from top left connector, you will have continuity as follows:
High power black
High power red
Small purple (pilot signal)
Yellow/green ground
No continuity. This pin is connected inside the handle to a microswitch and a resistor network. Resistance between this pin and ground should be 150 ohms with switch not depressed and about 350 ohms with switch depressed. This is what failed on my plug, however this will not impact HPWC self test.

The other small yellow wire in the cable will not show continuty to any of the plug pins. It probably supplies power to the charge port opening transmitter in the handle.

EDIT again: Nevermind... on the old HPWC (rev 1/2/3), two blinks means unit failed self-test. On the new HPWC, two blinks means it didn't detect ground. Gah, why change what blinks mean?!

I would look to ensure that your pilot, proximity, and ground connections are correct and don't have a stray strand loose somewhere. Try to remove and re-connect the cable, make sure the connections didn't get damaged.

It's possible that you might have a bad cable with improperly assembled connections inside the handle or something.

I have an early HPWC. I got it in July 2013. It was the first version that came with the revised fuses. Perhaps the SC tech was giving me more info on the error, or he thought I had a newer version.

I'll try swapping the purple and yellow wires in the hpwc. they're the only ones I could have gotten wrong but I have the purple on top, as I saw in multiple pictures online.

Just checked everything again. Thanks FlasherZ for posting the pin / wire purposes. I verified the purple pilot wire is in the spot in the HPWC labeled Pilot.

With the HPWC in test mode (all dip switches to the right) and holding the reset button for 5 seconds the relay does open and I do get 245V on the charging pins in the charging handle. The lights cycle normally and when I release reset the light goes back to green, indicating a successful self test per the manual.

With the breaker power on, I get 245V between legs, and 120V(ish) from each leg to ground.

When I try to charge the car, I again get the 2x flash of the red LED.

:mad:

Last edited:
I don't really know how to proceed. If you have steady/stable voltage between ground and the line conductors, it means the ground is good (although if you have 245V between L1/L2, you should have 122-123V between L1/G and L2/G.

If it only happens when you try charging the car, then you may have a bad cable that has a leak to ground (which would trip the GFCI)... What happens when you swap the old cable back in? Does it do anything differently?

If you got your HPWC as part of your car order, I believe it should be covered by the car warranty and you shouldn't have to pay for repairs. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I bought my HPWC with my car and have had the cable replaced twice under warranty, no question of me paying for it.
I can answer my own question here. I confirmed with Tesla Montreal that my HPWC is covered under warranty for 4 years since it was purchased as part of the order for the car. They are sending me a replacement cable & handle - my 4th - for no charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Kalud
I have an early HPWC. I got it in July 2013. It was the first version that came with the revised fuses. Perhaps the SC tech was giving me more info on the error, or he thought I had a newer version.

I'll try swapping the purple and yellow wires in the hpwc. they're the only ones I could have gotten wrong but I have the purple on top, as I saw in multiple pictures online.
I would recommend against swapping the purple and yellow wires unless you know they were wrong to begin with. The yellow wire carries 3.3v to the tx board in the handle. The purple carries 12v to the pilot and unless the circuit board is protected, 12v would damage it immediately. It's probably protected but I wouldn't take the risk. Make sure the purple wire is connected to pilot.

Check to see if there's any stray voltage on the power pins in your car's inlet. Test between the pin and gnd. There shouldn't be any and that would cause a failed self-test. Do the same test on each power sleeve in the connector before you plug it in. If there's even a small amount of voltage there from, say carbon tracks or moisture, then it would fail. This is a long shot but I'm not sure what else to try.

I can answer my own question here. I confirmed with Tesla Montreal that my HPWC is covered under warranty for 4 years since it was purchased as part of the order for the car. They are sending me a replacement cable & handle - my 4th - for no charge.

When did you buy your car and did the cable fail after one year? I too bought the HPWC as part of the car order but my SC insists it is only covered by a one year warranty. Or is it maybe only covered by car warranty in Canada?

My first replacement was in May 2014, when the car was 5 months old. I'm not sure if this is a Canada-specific thing; it's just as likely to be one of those things where Tesla doesn't have a consistent policy so it's the luck of the draw depending on which service centre you go to.

Well, I no longer have the car to test my HPWC with. Tesla said the HPWC issue was either my power coming in or the cord. Well 245V across the terminals in the HPWC makes me think it's not my wiring. Is there something I should check regarding my house wiring that could give me 245V but trip the internal GFCI tests when the HPWC tries to start to charge?

Also, I think the service center guy I'm talking with thinks I'm getting 1 red flash instead of 2 like I am.

Last edited:
The number of flashes means different things on old units vs. new units. Based on what you've mentioned, the unit has failed its own GFCI testing. It's highly unlikely that it's an issue with your power.

The GFCI tests failing when you start to charge means that the charge current is unbalanced between the two power legs - it means the HPWC thinks that power is returning via a different path - either the ground conductor in the cable, or via the car's chassis into earth and back to the transformer. The latter is highly unlikely, and I would suspect the new HPWC cord set that you received.

It could always be some type of a short inside the car, but you said that it charges fine elsewhere, yes?

Correct, it charged just fine on my UMC, but I was only able to try on 120v. I don't think I had charged on 240v in over a month.

I'll try the old cable again and ask another MS owner to stop by to test it out. My original cable would just not charge. This new cable gives the GFCI errors.

Quick question regarding the Tesla HPWC...Looking at installing the HPWC as a primary and a NEMA 1450 as a backup. My question is Ive seen different responses in regards to Warranty on the HPWC. This is in advance of the vehicle order to get the 8911 Tax credit before expiration at the end of 2016. My understanding is if the HPWC is purchased separately you only get a1 year warranty.....whereas if the HPWC is purchased WITH the vehicle order the Wall Connector Warranty is covered under the same warranty duration as the car.
I've read situations of Model S owners buying it before car purchase, having it fail outside of 1 year and having to pay out of pocket to have it repaired or replace the cable. Anyone purchasing it WITH the car has had it replaced multiple times under warranty. Has anyone received direction from Tesla on this or have any knowledge of the warranty coverage?

In addition....my dilemma is buy and have it installed now.....get the Tax Credit, but only have it warrantied for a year or wait, possibly NOT have the ALT EV Tax credit Infrastructure renewed and lose that but have it warrantied longer under the car purchase warranty.

Are these newer HPWC's more reliable now? I'm familiar with early probs regarding the fuses and such.

Skione65

Hello Guys, I new here, I just wanted to share some ideas, I don't own a Tesla yet, but I do own a electric bike, electric motorcycle, I'm still saving up for a 2012 Fisker Karma which is much better for UBER Taxi driving than a Roadster will ever be good for, two doors only.

So my idea is why don't some Fast Food drive thru have those Plug-less chargers for Tesla, you can charge your tesla while you are wating for fast food for 15 mins tops, you will anyways need to buy food anyways.

Hello Guys, I new here, I just wanted to share some ideas, I don't own a Tesla yet, but I do own a electric bike, electric motorcycle, I'm still saving up for a 2012 Fisker Karma which is much better for UBER Taxi driving than a Roadster will ever be good for, two doors only.

So my idea is why don't some Fast Food drive thru have those Plug-less chargers for Tesla, you can charge your tesla while you are wating for fast food for 15 mins tops, you will anyways need to buy food anyways.

Because Tesla owners almost never have to charge anywhere besides at home, especially not on a trip to the local fast food place.

Because Tesla owners almost never have to charge anywhere besides at home, especially not on a trip to the local fast food place.
That's it. In over three years and 70K miles the only time I've charged away from home is on trips. 15 minutes of slow charging is equivalent to four miles. Not worth the effort unless you are desperate. This kind of thinking comes from the perception created by EVs that can't get to the airport and back without stopping to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Installed HPWC yesterday. It took 8 hours but that included 2+ hours of shopping and several hours of conduit measuring, cutting, and bending. Used a 60 amp breaker and setting # 9 to charge at 48 amps with the new chargers. We got the 25' version so we can charge anywhere in the garage. We used the pillar so we can one day put a Model 3 or another S on the left side of the garage where my Prius currently is. Works perfectly thanks to the help of my father in laws retired electrician friend helping me out. (I think I would have gotten it all correct but it's good to have an experienced hand present to make sure you do it safely and right).

img_4107-jpg.179106

img_4105-jpg.179108

Last edited: