Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed HPWC yesterday. It took 8 hours but that included 2+ hours of shopping and several hours of conduit measuring, cutting, and bending. Used a 60 amp breaker and setting # 9 to charge at 48 amps with the new chargers. We got the 25' version so we can charge anywhere in the garage. We used the pillar so we can one day put a Model 3 or another S on the left side of the garage where my Prius currently is. Works perfectly thanks to the help of my father in laws retired electrician friend helping me out. (I think I would have gotten it all correct but it's good to have an experienced hand present to make sure you do it safely and right).

img_4107-jpg.179106

img_4105-jpg.179108

@valkeriefire,

Looks Great!!! Clean install. Well done. Can't wait to do mine :)

Ski

Looks great! I've had mine installed for a week, but no car yet to plug in. I was able to confirm proper operation though. My sales guy came by the house in a brand spanking new Model X (sneaky devil!), and we tried the charger. Everything worked just fine. A surprising thing was that after unplugging the car, the charger showed a red light fault condition. We deduced that interrupting the charge before the car thought it was fully charged caused this. A rest of the Wall unit (reset switch on the left hand side) brought everything back to normal.

Attachments

• IMG_8006.jpg
    IMG_8006.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
Just a quick post to show that I mounted my HPWC on the ceiling of my garage, so that it is not a tripping hazard. The excess is coiled up in the attic.View attachment 180116
I agree that in a walk-space, an overhead charging cable is the best solution:

Mini open door 384h.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not sure your coiling of the charging cable in the attic is kosher with the NEC.

Reactions: hiroshiy
warning!!! Newbie :)

Just ordered p85d and trying to plan out the charging situation at home.

Trying to decide between the wall mount or just a plug.

Here is my power situation.

I have a 5 year old house with good service and wiring. I recently was looking at moving my hot water tanks and making them electric. (then decided not to move them)

so the electrician ran approx 50 feet of NM-B 600 volt 8/2 wire to 2 remote sub panels. each of these have a 40 amp breaker already installed in the panel. The wire was run through the walls and attic.

I am trying to figure out if i can use this wire and it is not totally clear to me.

btw i live in texas.

thanks for any advice!
Dave

I would go with a HPWC, not an outlet for the UMC. The reason being that cable is only rated for a 40 amp circuit. There is no 40 amp plug, so you have to go with the next lowest which is a 30 amp plug and reduce the breaker to 30 amps. You then have to try to find a 10-30 UMC adaptor to plug into that (Tesla no longer makes them). Lots of work for reduced charging rate. If you go with a HPWC, you can wire it directly into the subpanel at minimal cost (assuming it's near a good location for the HPWC) and set it to 40 amp circuit. The HPWC will then let the car charge at 32 amps continuously which is the most amount of power you can pull through that wiring. Not super fast, but should be enough to fully charge the car overnight (adds about 22 miles of range per hour).

If you want faster charging rates, you'll need to have new cabling run from the main breaker box (assuming you have the capacity as well).

So the Tesla Certified electrician came out yesterday to run the wiring for the HPWC. After their load calculations, I'm told they can safely run a 80amp dedicated line to the HPWC, which is what they did. They wired the sub-breaker panel in the garage and ran the dedicated line thru conduit on the ceiling of garage to my charging location. They'll be coming back in a couple of weeks to install the HPWC after we get it, its currently on backorder. Everything was nice and clean and it appears they did a good job.

My question is many-fold: 1) with an 80 amp line to the HPWC, how should the HPWC be configured to maximize my charge speed? 2) we haven't taken delivery of our MS90D but we didn't selected the High Amperage Charging option. Tesla's website says you need 80-100 amp line to paired with HPWC and High Amperage charging to take advantage of the 50+ mile/hour charge rate. 3) Since my charging line is on the low end of the requirements for 50+ mile/hour charging, what is the real-world charging rate going to be assuming i add the $1900 High Amperage Charging option?

Curious to see if anyone has this setup and if its worth it to pay for that extra charging boost. I apologize in advance for non-technical description as I'm new to the EV/electrical stuff.

Looks like I'm on answer duty today. :) Regarding your questions:

1. Assuming they meant 80 amp peak (has an 80 amp circuit breaker), there's a setting in the HPWC for that. It then will let a car charge up to 64 amps continuously (you can only continuously pull 80% of the circuit rating for safety). You can charge at lower rates, but the HPWC will not let any Tesla charge faster then what's safely allowed.

2. Correct. Standard charger will pull up to 48 amps, so your setup will support that. If you want to max out an upgraded charger, you would have needed a 90 amp circuit run to the HPWC.

3. If you add the charger upgrade, then the car can pull up to 64 amps (limit of your wiring). This will allow you to add about 10 more miles of range per hour over the standard charger (44 miles of range per hour total).

Your situation will determine your need for the high amp charger. If you only plan to charge at home overnight, then there's no need. If you need to recharge between trips during the day, then a higher charging speed would be a good thing. Same if you plan to travel off the Supercharger network and need to use destination chargers during the day for road trips. But if you plan to do mostly overnight charging or using the Supercharger, then the upgraded charger won't benefit you.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
My question is many-fold: 1) with an 80 amp line to the HPWC, how should the HPWC be configured to maximize my charge speed? 2) we haven't taken delivery of our MS90D but we didn't selected the High Amperage Charging option. Tesla's website says you need 80-100 amp line to paired with HPWC and High Amperage charging to take advantage of the 50+ mile/hour charge rate. 3) Since my charging line is on the low end of the requirements for 50+ mile/hour charging, what is the real-world charging rate going to be assuming i add the $1900 High Amperage Charging option? Curious to see if anyone has this setup and if its worth it to pay for that extra charging boost. I apologize in advance for non-technical description as I'm new to the EV/electrical stuff.

I have my HPWC set to 40 Amps with a 29 mph charging rate. I have never needed the additional speed of the twin chargers.
My recommendation is try the standard single charger and start your charging when rates are lowest overnight. :cool:

Miles per charge.PNG

I just took delivery of my Model S 90D. I have the HPWC on a 100 amp breaker. It is set to allow max amps. I am still only pulling 48 amps. Any ideas? My car has yet to go below 100 miles of charge. Could this be why the battery is only calling for 48 amps instead of the full 80? I've attached a picture to show what's happening.

cid:8BF59677-1C99-444D-9A48-49143F2612F3

I just took delivery of my Model S 90D. I have the HPWC on a 100 amp breaker. It is set to allow max amps. I am still only pulling 48 amps. Any ideas? My car has yet to go below 100 miles of charge. Could this be why the battery is only calling for 48 amps instead of the full 80? I've attached a picture to show what's happening.
upload_2016-6-11_16-46-51.png

The maximum charge rate is 48Amps with a single onboard charger.
You should be fine, however, if you want the 72Amp charging rate you will need to upgrade to the dual onboard charger. ($1,900)

upload_2016-6-11_16-12-5.png

Last edited: