Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what happens if you've ordered a HPWC, and that's the only means of charging the car (aside from 110v)? My car is due at the end of this month, but so far, no sign of the HPWC. Are others installing a 14-50 as a backup/alternative? I'd rather not, since that'll add to the cost of installation.

So what happens if you've ordered a HPWC, and that's the only means of charging the car (aside from 110v)? My car is due at the end of this month, but so far, no sign of the HPWC. Are others installing a 14-50 as a backup/alternative? I'd rather not, since that'll add to the cost of installation.

Tesla is recommending you install a 6-50 in the interim since the wiring will be similar.

If you make your contract with Solar City, and your HPWC is not yet available, they will install a temporary 6-50 plug until the HPWC shows up at no additional charge to just setting up the HPWC in the first place. At least, that was my experience, but I made my contract with them long before most, right about the time the first Model Ss were starting to be delivered. Not sure if they have changed the policy since my contract was signed.

They have already installed my temporary 6-50 plug and will just swap out the wiring once the HPWC arrives. According to they guys who did my install, the hardest part is custom bending the conduit piping that houses the wiring. Pulling the wire through is fairly quick and simple after that. So if the piping is there the swap is straightforward. At least that is what they told me. Same cost as the original contract though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Thanks, but I'm in Texas, where everything EV-related is apparently more complicated. SolarCity are not doing the installs here, and their 'partner', Mr Electric, are fairly non-responsive. I've asked Tesla on the ETA for the HPWC, it's also possible I can charge at the office if things don't quite come together perfectly, or, as you suggest, I can have a temporary 6-50 installed pending the HPWC. The cable run from the breaker box is about 25ft, up the inside of a wall, across an attic, and back down the other wall, it should be a relatively easy install, except, I think I'm out of space in my breaker box.

Interesting that they said reservation order, not VIN order. And no batching by geography, etc.

Hopefully that means they think they'll catch up quickly. Otherwise I would think there would be mutiny afoot when they started delivering HPWCs to people that didn't have cars yet, while those whose cars were delivered early out of sequence (because of their configuration or geography) went without.

Last edited:
Hopefully that means they think they'll catch up quickly. Otherwise I would think there would be mutiny afoot when they started delivering HPWCs to people that didn't have cars yet, while those whose cars were delivered early out of sequence (because of their configuration or geography) went without.
I'm fairly confident (90%) that they will deliver HPWC to buyers that have a vehicle already first.

My point was more that it was interesting that the language hinted that reservation order -- rather than VIN number -- becomes interesting again. I presume that means SSL/S/R/P ordering applies as well, though I doubt the battery capacity or Performance comes into play for the HPWC delivery order.

I would certainly expect it to be.

My DS says "As for the High Power Wall Connector, we have started shipping them out, but slowly. I think we’re backlogged a few months still."

I did not buy one (did get twin chargers), but plan to if I find myself needing it (don't expect that), or when I convince my wife to get her Model X (expect that). Then I'll have one 14-50 and one HPWC.

Thanks, but I'm in Texas, where everything EV-related is apparently more complicated. SolarCity are not doing the installs here, and their 'partner', Mr Electric, are fairly non-responsive. I've asked Tesla on the ETA for the HPWC, it's also possible I can charge at the office if things don't quite come together perfectly, or, as you suggest, I can have a temporary 6-50 installed pending the HPWC. The cable run from the breaker box is about 25ft, up the inside of a wall, across an attic, and back down the other wall, it should be a relatively easy install, except, I think I'm out of space in my breaker box.

A 6-50 is what is supposed to happen. Mr. Electric here in Indiana where my parents live installed a NEMA 14-50 even though he had the install sheet and was supposedly on the phone with Tesla. Turns out Tesla sent the 14-50 adapter but not the 6-50 adapter so he decided to install a NEMA 14-50. Sounds like he did everything right though with correct gauge wire but we will just end up with a ground that isn't used for the HPWC. Extra costs but at least it was correctly installed. You might e-mail Tesla to make sure they include or send out the 6-50 adapter or e-mail you the install sheet early if you decide to have Mr. Electric come out early and install the 6-50 outlet so it's ready for your car.

A 6-50 is what is supposed to happen. Mr. Electric here in Indiana where my parents live installed a NEMA 14-50 even though he had the install sheet and was supposedly on the phone with Tesla. Turns out Tesla sent the 14-50 adapter but not the 6-50 adapter so he decided to install a NEMA 14-50. Sounds like he did everything right though with correct gauge wire but we will just end up with a ground that isn't used for the HPWC. Extra costs but at least it was correctly installed. You might e-mail Tesla to make sure they include or send out the 6-50 adapter or e-mail you the install sheet early if you decide to have Mr. Electric come out early and install the 6-50 outlet so it's ready for your car.

Is it an either/or option, in terms of the adaptor that Tesla ship? I think a 14-50 would be more useful in the long term, but if I can get a 6-50 as well, then it'll make the install a bit cheaper.

You get a 14-50 by default with the car. If you ordered the HPWC with the car, Tesla threw in a 6-50 for free as a temporary measure until the HPWC ships. I have both.

You get a 14-50 by default with the car. If you ordered the HPWC with the car, Tesla threw in a 6-50 for free as a temporary measure until the HPWC ships. I have both.

You're correct. Tesla only included the 14-50 adapter (they didn't send 6-50 adapter) with my parent's car so the electrician was confused so he did wiring for HPWC correctly and put it on a 50A circuit with a 14-50 plug. It should come with both though if you are ordering the HPWC.

I am still waiting on my S, but have my Leaf. With 1772 in my garage. I can use the 1772 with adapter for my S when it arrives, right?

Then, when I get 'round to it, install an HPWC and / or 14-50 at a later date.

- - - Updated - - -

I am still waiting on my S, but have my Leaf. With 1772 in my garage. I can use the 1772 with adapter for my S when it arrives, right?

Then, when I get 'round to it, install an HPWC and / or 14-50 at a later date.

Yup, your Leaf's J1772 EVSE will work fine with the Model S. There's just the hassle of moving it between the Leaf and S.

It will probably charge at 30A, although it's possible it was installed at a lower level (the Leaf only pulls 15A). 30A should still generally be over 20 miles or range replaced per hour of charging, so overnight should be fine unless you plan to completely drain the car two days in a row.

For more info on charging a new Model S, see THIS thread.

I don't think you're in an EV Project area, so I'm not sure what EVSE you have. But if it's a Blink, HERE is something to consider.

My DS says "As for the High Power Wall Connector, we have started shipping them out, but slowly. I think we’re backlogged a few months still."

I did not buy one (did get twin chargers), but plan to if I find myself needing it (don't expect that), or when I convince my wife to get her Model X (expect that). Then I'll have one 14-50 and one HPWC.

Sounds like you and I have the same situation. I have twin chargers with no HPWC and a Model X reservation for the wife. My electrician was backlogged at the end of the year, so I still haven't installed my 14-50 yet (2 weeks is his estimate). When he installs it, I'm having him pull proper sized wiring and conduit for a 100 A circuit, and installing the 14-50 on the end of that (and a 50 A breaker in the sub panel).

I specifically asked my (acting) DS about the HPWC and Model X charging port, and he told me that they were "trying to use the same connector." My plan now is to build and install a 75A OpenEVSE instead of a HPWC. Yeah, I'll have to use my J1772 adapter at home, but going with the J1772, I'm "future proofing" my installation. :wink:

I agree. I think there is zero chance they'll chance the connector on the Model X so if you still wanted the HPWC I'd get that instead of having to use an adapter every time you charged at home.