Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe these things are counterfeit. Look at these two auctions from the same seller:

NEW Tesla Motors Model S/X/3 Wall Connector 2nd GEN w 24' Cable Charging Station | eBay
NEW Tesla Motors Model S/X/3 2ND GEN Wall Connector w 24' Cable Charging Station | eBay

173 units sold!?! And that's just these two auctions, there are many other similar ones.

They might be perfectly working/workable WC units, but selling that many units so fast, they have to be offshore knock-offs.

Also, it's unclear why one is so much more than the other.

upload_2018-1-12_19-21-37.png

upload_2018-1-12_19-21-41.png

I’ve seen their postings before. Multiple listings with almost identical prices if you include shipping and not just look at the base price. One will be with free shipping and the others lower price but when you add the shipping it’s within a few cents of the free shipping one.

Maybe these things are counterfeit. Look at these two auctions from the same seller:

NEW Tesla Motors Model S/X/3 Wall Connector 2nd GEN w 24' Cable Charging Station | eBay
NEW Tesla Motors Model S/X/3 2ND GEN Wall Connector w 24' Cable Charging Station | eBay

173 units sold!?! And that's just these two auctions, there are many other similar ones.

They might be perfectly working/workable WC units, but selling that many units so fast, they have to be offshore knock-offs.

Also, it's unclear why one is so much more than the other.

I don't think those details point to counterfeit. It's similar to a lot of other listings, like this one (which I bought):

Tesla Wall Connector 24 ‘’ Model S/X/3 2nd Gen FREE SHIPPING | eBay

That listing says 45 sold and 7 available. It also says the item is located in Canada, but it was actually drop shipped to me by Tesla in Newark, California, so I'm certain it's not counterfeit. Still very weird, though.

Now, SK29 reported that the unicorn wall connector actually shipped from Canada, so maybe it's unconnected to this phenomenon of cheap and legit wall connectors on eBay, but it's all so weird that I can't help but wonder if solving one mystery will give clues to other mystery.

I don't think those details point to counterfeit. It's similar to a lot of other listings, like this one (which I bought):
Tesla Wall Connector 24 ‘’ Model S/X/3 2nd Gen FREE SHIPPING | eBay

That listing says 45 sold and 7 available. It also says the item is located in Canada, but it was actually drop shipped to me by Tesla in Newark, California, so I'm certain it's not counterfeit. Still very weird, though.

Now, SK29 reported that the unicorn wall connector actually shipped from Canada, so maybe it's unconnected to this phenomenon of cheap and legit wall connectors on eBay, but it's all so weird that I can't help but wonder if solving one mystery will give clues to other mystery.
Very interesting ... Newark, CA is located right next to the factory in Fremont.
Perhaps these units were prototype units that were rejected by Tesla and now for sale by a wholesaler?

if it was shipped by Tesla I wonder if the shipping department ended up grabbing the wrong product and sent it to you ?

As is stated above this device may be a one off prototype that never ended up in the wild ? Weird.

I say we ban the Canadians anyway; just because; we'll build the wall but you guys have to pay for it :D

Thanks to @SK29 for working with me on this. But I can confirm (I am 99.99% Positive) that the WC with a 14-50 plug is legit. I took it apart, compared it to a Gen 2 WC and even plugged it in and got it working!

Now the big question... How long until Tesla starts selling these or they call me about it?

Thanks Erik

Here is the video with all the comparisons, numbers, and plugging it in.

But I can confirm (I am 99.99% Positive) that the WC with a 14-50 plug is legit. I took it apart, compared it to a Gen 2 WC and even plugged it in and got it working!

What was the charge rate? Any different from just using the mobile charger on 14-50? Other than looking cool wondering if there is any advantage to this vs just getting a 2nd mobile charger if you wanted to carry one with you and leave one at home.

What was the charge rate? Any different from just using the mobile charger on 14-50? Other than looking cool wondering if there is any advantage to this vs just getting a 2nd mobile charger if you wanted to carry one with you and leave one at home.

The mobile connector that is included with new cars only charges at 32 amps, and in Canada, even the old mobile connector is limited to 32 amps.

But I just noticed this product on the Tesla website, which is new to me:

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

It is a mobile connector that’s permanently wired with a 14-50 plug. It’s not clear if it charges at 40 amps, but if it does, it would be mostly redundant with the 40 amps wall connector.

The mobile connector that is included with new cars only charges at 32 amps, and in Canada, even the old mobile connector is limited to 32 amps.

But I just noticed this product on the Tesla website, which is new to me:

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

It is a mobile connector that’s permanently wired with a 14-50 plug. It’s not clear if it charges at 40 amps, but if it does, it would be mostly redundant with the 40 amps wall connector.

This came out awhile ago. I actually use this currently behind my Supercharger shell. Works great. Much lower profile since there is no adapter. I normally just charge at 30 amps, I don't need fast charging normally, but I believe it does go up to 40.

Thanks Erik

I ordered and installed one of those HPWC off ebay. I was a little nervous but I think it paid off. (I'm still not sure why it costs so much less on ebay.)
I thought I'd share my purchase experience and describe the product in more detail.

As I mentioned, I purchased it through an ebay listing (using buy-it-now). Seller "top-line". It was shipped via UPS requiring a signature on delivery, which I do not like myself but I understand it makes sense for an expensive item like this. Besides, I was able to set up a profile on UPS to avoid this bother.

Everything about the item appears to be new, genuine Tesla product.
All packaging, parts, etc appeared to be genuine. The box had the 'Tesla' logo anti-tamper tape on it.

I like that it has different install options:
* low-profile or standard install bracket
* different wire routing paths (behind/top/bottom/side)
* selectable amperage load
* different wiring options (works with 2-phase or 3-phase, etc)

Using standard bracket definitely makes the install easier. Working with standard 6 AWG wire is difficult. The bracket gives plenty of room to bring that big cable in and lock it down into the distribution block. From there three (L1, L2, and ground - no neutral) existing cables that connect to the the main HPWC are very flexible and include nice ends that fit nicely in the screw terminals.

One note: when tightening down the screw terminals be sure the cable end in on the correct side of the moving plate that holds the end in place. The angle makes it hard to see what is going on.
It's easy to tell if the wire is not engaged properly: when the screw is tightened the wire is loose.

Using the standard bracket also seems to give more space for hanging the wire and makes the plug itself easier to grab.
It does protrude from the wall a bit. I can see the appeal in the low-profile install, especially if using a separate wire retaining bracket and plug holder.

Very clean design. All screws are covered up (except one very small screw at the bottom of the cover skin). The cover is nice flexible clear plastic, painted on the inside to give it a very glossy finish. Very easy to use.
The cable is much thicker than the mobile connector that comes with the car so it is a little more cumbersome.

With this HPWC there are a few fields that show up different on the CHARGE_STATE endpoint:
"charger_power" = "11"
"fast_charger_type" = "ACSingleWireCAN"
"charge_rate" = "35.5"

With the normal included connector the same values are:
"charger_power" = "6"
"fast_charger_type" = "<invalid>"
"charge_rate" = "19.7"

I am very happy with the HPWC.
Well engineered. Quality product. Looks good. Works well.

I am very happy to be able to tap into more power and more importantly keep the mobile connector in the car for whenever I may need it.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20180208121441574.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180208121441574.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 134
  • CameraZOOM-20180208112355683.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180208112355683.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 133
  • CameraZOOM-20180208121451628.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180208121451628.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 132
  • CameraZOOM-20180208121521221.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180208121521221.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: UkrHog and Acps110
I ordered and installed one of those HPWC off ebay. I was a little nervous but I think it paid off. (I'm still not sure why it costs so much less on ebay.)
I thought I'd share my purchase experience and describe the product in more detail.

I should also note that I did not install the bracket using the existing mounting holes. I offset the screws slightly and reinforced the inside so the incoming wire could come in from behind and the bracket could be anchored to the stud.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20180208110519923.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180208110519923.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Ivan.R
The HPWC (direct from Tesla) seems to be in short supply. Ordered on Monday, instantly for an email with my order number. Nothing since. No shipping notice, etc. even after mailing them again. My car has unfortunately arrived in town and delivery is set for next week. I called all SCs in OR and WA and have gotten the same answer.
“We don’t stock them. We, too, are having issues getting them when customers ask us to order.”
So now I have to get creative with charging for at least a couple weeks unless an HPWC magically appears early next week.
If anyone knows of an SC (or other avenue) with one in stock, please PM me. Will be monitoring eBay as well for this Canadian deal.

A bit counter-intuitive to sell an EV, but not stock the proprietary charger...