Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So interesting enough - I bought a Wall Connector off of eBay - supposed to be Gen 2. When I received it and went to install, I was pretty confused - the wall connector had a NEMA 14-50 plug on it. Also the manual didn't match the old or new manuals online, and my local service center couldn't match/verify the part # on the manual.

Got a full refund via eBay, but no return necessary. So, will be buying a real wall connector direct from Tesla this time, but I still have this apparently "fake" wall connector. Looks damn good for fake, has all parts, side slot for connector, etc. Think it's safe to use? I don't especially want to be the guinea-pig.

If someone wants, it's yours if you pickup or pay shipping! LOL.
Some people do install 14-50 plugs on their wall connectors as it allows them to use their existing wiring.

It seems like a lot of work to counterfeit to be honest, but it also makes zero sense to buy a genuine wall charger, modify it to add a nema plug, create a new user manual, copy the packaging, etc.

It's baffling to be honest. Here's a picture of the manual. They must be selling 100s of these for this to make sense. Perhaps the seller on eBay (live.love1 FYI) has a connection with a factory making these for Tesla and had this modification put in to differentiate slightly? It's also telling the refund was INSTANT. I mean, I sent in the message saying item not as described and instant refund from Seller.

Attachments

• IMG-6708.JPG
    IMG-6708.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 137
Yup. Hence my original post where I declined to plug it in to see if it worked. Maybe someone much more electrically savvy than me could pop it open and see if its legit.
Sounds like you should probably bring this to Tesla's attention.

Could this be a new product not yet available on their online store? Perhaps it's a new product that people with 14-50 outlets could easily replace their UMC with. Either way, I'm sure they be interested in hearing about it.

Sounds like you should probably bring this to Tesla's attention.

Could this be a new product not yet available on their online store? Perhaps it's a new product that people with 14-50 outlets could easily replace their UMC with. Either way, I'm sure they be interested in hearing about it.

Spoke to the wall connector team just now. They confirmed what the parts thought - never sold by Tesla. No record of it anywhere. Didn't seem to care one way or another. Figured it was modified.

It seems like a lot of work to counterfeit to be honest, but it also makes zero sense to buy a genuine wall charger, modify it to add a nema plug, create a new user manual, copy the packaging, etc.

It's baffling to be honest. Here's a picture of the manual. They must be selling 100s of these for this to make sense. Perhaps the seller on eBay (live.love1 FYI) has a connection with a factory making these for Tesla and had this modification put in to differentiate slightly? It's also telling the refund was INSTANT. I mean, I sent in the message saying item not as described and instant refund from Seller.

I can't open that attachment, for some reason.

Spoke to the wall connector team just now. They confirmed what the parts thought - never sold by Tesla. No record of it anywhere. Didn't seem to care one way or another. Figured it was modified.
Interesting. I could see them not being too concerned if it was used but for it to be marketed as new with a manual like that, I would think they would be very concerned.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
So some pictures. I'm a little lazy and don't want to have to repack everything if I open it all up - so, didn't open it all up. But damn me if this thing does not look legit. The part number on the connector itself looks right for a Gen 2, even ending in an E. Really makes me wonder what the heck is going on here. Wish someone was close here in Houston that knew more about this stuff.
IMG_6710.jpg
IMG_6711.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg
IMG_6715.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker