Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will always be days before as that is when they start confirming things for your appointment. Good luck to you getting your upgrade!

Thank you! I will take all the luck I can get. Since my car was built February 2018, I can always hope they started moving the date of upgrade one month back from March now. Of course you know the old saying about hoping in one hand and s*&^ing in the other to see which fills up first.

Please define "It won't be developed until more FSD features are already delivered". What won't be developed. The FSD Computer (formally HW3) is the same. You can see the single part number in EPC.

I was saying the software to make the FSD computer/HW3 compatible with MCU1 would be developed at a later date. Again, I have zero ideas what I’m talking about, but my guess is MCU1 incompatibility to HW3 TODAY is only because they haven’t programmed their software for it yet. I’d be shocked if it needed a retrofit.

I was saying the software to make the FSD computer/HW3 compatible with MCU1 would be developed at a later date. Again, I have zero ideas what I’m talking about, but my guess is MCU1 incompatibility to HW3 TODAY is only because they haven’t programmed their software for it yet. I’d be shocked if it needed a retrofit.

From a few of the comments on TMC, when a Tesla SC tried to make FSD Computer work on an AP2/2.5, they could not install the GA release of v10, so they had to revert back to the original AP hardware. There is some incompatibility of course. There was yet another post showing a conversation with a service center that indicates that the owner should wait until end of December and do both the MCU/2 and the FSD Computer upgrade at the same time.

It's hard to tell what exactly will be the correct course of action from Tesla. If any of this hold some truth, then we can hope that this issue will be resolved by end of Dec.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
From a few of the comments on TMC, when a Tesla SC tried to make FSD Computer work on an AP2/2.5, they could not install the GA release of v10, so they had to revert back to the original AP hardware. There is some incompatibility of course. There was yet another post showing a conversation with a service center that indicates that the owner should wait until end of December and do both the MCU/2 and the FSD Computer upgrade at the same time.

It's hard to tell what exactly will be the correct course of action from Tesla. If any of this hold some truth, then we can hope that this issue will be resolved by end of Dec.

I agree, I’d love to have this resolved soon and get my car upgraded to HW3. That being said, there’s always so much confusion on the boards with MCU’s, etc. I take everything with a grain of salt. (For instance, MCU2 to the service center could mean “second generation MCU”, which is MCU1 with LTE).

If you go to the “Elon said MCU1/MCU2 thread”, nobody there is bringing up buying FSD as a solution to get an MCU2. There are tons of people who seem to be willing to throw money hands over fists just to get the new MCU and are experiencing a lot of FOMO for no Netflix/games. Not being able to upgrade seems to be affecting people’s lives haha.

So while I am personally optimistic I’ll get HW3 hopefully soon, I really don’t think it’ll include a new MCU2.

I agree, I’d love to have this resolved soon and get my car upgraded to HW3. That being said, there’s always so much confusion on the boards with MCU’s, etc. I take everything with a grain of salt. (For instance, MCU2 to the service center could mean “second generation MCU”, which is MCU1 with LTE).

If you go to the “Elon said MCU1/MCU2 thread”, nobody there is bringing up buying FSD as a solution to get an MCU2. There are tons of people who seem to be willing to throw money hands over fists just to get the new MCU and are experiencing a lot of FOMO for no Netflix/games. Not being able to upgrade seems to be affecting people’s lives haha.

So while I am personally optimistic I’ll get HW3 hopefully soon, I really don’t think it’ll include a new MCU2.

The ROI for them to develop a retrofit for the MCU is not as high as selling a new car or getting the Y out. I am afraid we may not have a retrofit till middle or end of next year and possibly as long for HW 3. I think we will know if they start putting in HW 3 in Model 3 before us with HW 2.0.

Keep us updated what happens with you appointment.

The ROI for them to develop a retrofit for the MCU is not as high as selling a new car or getting the Y out. I am afraid we may not have a retrofit till middle or end of next year and possibly as long for HW 3. I think we will know if they start putting in HW 3 in Model 3 before us with HW 2.0.

Keep us updated what happens with you appointment.

100% agree...and they already have our money! Haha

FYI: I scheduled and confirmed an experimental appointment to the upgrade done. A week later I was told that it was not supported for my configuration yet but the rep expressed optimism in Tesla's trademark "Rolling out", "Finalizing", and "Shortly".

I have a 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 S75D so not really any new information here other than to confirm:
* It doesn't matter if you have a "confirmed" appointment. Until you drive out of the service center, don't count on anything
* MCU1->MCU2 upgrade is not available yet
* FSD Computer retrofit is not available yet for HW2.0 vehicles.

upload_2019-11-26_15-7-25-png.481759

A 4 hr service job requires Tesla SC to take a full 5 days for them to fix with existing load. I don't think MCU1/AP2 to MCU?/AP3 is happening.
I tend to agree except that Elon stated AP2 cars with prepurchased FSD would be upgraded to the FSD computer for free. I've seen no official statement that MCU1 would be upgraded. There currently seems to be no MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade available. Where does that leave us?

I tend to agree except that Elon stated AP2 cars with prepurchased FSD would be upgraded to the FSD computer for free. I've seen no official statement that MCU1 would be upgraded. There currently seems to be no MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade available. Where does that leave us?

Considering there hasn't been any official word on what HW2.0 owners can expect, my thoughts are that it is either not possible to retrofit our cars with the new hardware or will eat up most of the funding that they could claim when the feature releases. In both cases, I'm not holding my breath we will have any updates on getting new hardware until much after most of the 2.5 fleet has been updated to 3 and more FSD features are public. I'm afraid that we will soon see more features than cones, netflix, and karaoke divert from what is released. It will soon seem like owning HW1 or Pre-AP.

Considering there hasn't been any official word on what HW2.0 owners can expect, my thoughts are that it is either not possible to retrofit our cars with the new hardware or will eat up most of the funding that they could claim when the feature releases. In both cases, I'm not holding my breath we will have any updates on getting new hardware until much after most of the 2.5 fleet has been updated to 3 and more FSD features are public. I'm afraid that we will soon see more features than cones, netflix, and karaoke divert from what is released. It will soon seem like owning HW1 or Pre-AP.
So then nothing Elon says is official? His statement that AP2 cars with FSD will be upgraded with FSD computer for free is well documented.

Does anyone else remember 2016? I know that when I bought my car, FSD features were on the horizon of release, and I completely believed it. Elon says a lot of things that in his mind are reality, but largely untrue. I'd like to believe too that our upgrade will come sooner than later, but at this point I've owned the car for almost 3 years. By the time they figure out a way for HW2, it will likely be close to 4 years.

I hope I am wrong

5 times Tesla couldn't keep a promise about its electric vehicles