Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be the first time I see someone claim that a service tech has done an MCU1->MCU2 retrofit. AP2.5->AP3.0 (with MCU2 at this time) have been reported quite a bit.
He was a rather clever service tech. Really nice guy. He was here for a door control module wiring issue that he had and was super familiar with the diagrams and was showing me a quick run down of a few things. I don’t see Tesla offering the MCU2 upgrade as a common option rather than a special case situation until they engineer an easier swap. A simple harness adapter would fix the pin swap issue.
But the real thing here is why don’t they just offer an MCU upgrade rather than a MCU2 retrofit. Because obviously as Elon has stated MCU2 doesn’t play nice with MCU1 cars. If people are wanting to pay 1-2k for the upgrade, just sell a modified MCU 1 board (less likely) or better yet new MCU 3 that is a little faster than MCU2 and light years faster than MCU1.
But making people want to upgrade the entire vehicle instead of a part will always be a piece of the business I guess.

Reactions: scottf200
Very Green is a smart man, but my service tech who has done several MCU1 to MCU2 swaps (in Verygreen’s mobile service region might I add) has informed me there was a harness or two that had to be repinned and a couple other odd procedures completed for full a swap, and it also needed the driving display changed.
that's only for pre-ap2 cars. plug and play on ap2+ cars for mcu2.

To clarify a few points above:

MCU1 and MCU2 support SiriusXM - the only vehicles that don't support SiriusXM are the earlier configurations of S without a sunroof - which Tesla fixed before going with the all-glass roof.

MCU1 has AM/FM/HD radio/XM - MCU2 has FM/HD radio/XM, dropping AM radio.

The reason why Sentry mode takes so much power is that the MCU2 processor must stay awake while parked, consuming more energy than without Sentry mode when the processor can go asleep. If Sentry is a useful feature, would expect to see an MCU3 at some point that would come up with an alternate implementation of Sentry mode that could operate on less power. If the AP processor (HW2 or HW3) is doing anything in Sentry mode, it's probably not much - possibly passing the video from the cameras to the MCU2 and detecting an intrusion.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludalicious
To clarify a few points above:

MCU1 and MCU2 support SiriusXM - the only vehicles that don't support SiriusXM are the earlier configurations of S without a sunroof - which Tesla fixed before going with the all-glass roof.

MCU1 has AM/FM/HD radio/XM - MCU2 has FM/HD radio/XM, dropping AM radio.

The reason why Sentry mode takes so much power is that the MCU2 processor must stay awake while parked, consuming more energy than without Sentry mode when the processor can go asleep. If Sentry is a useful feature, would expect to see an MCU3 at some point that would come up with an alternate implementation of Sentry mode that could operate on less power. If the AP processor (HW2 or HW3) is doing anything in Sentry mode, it's probably not much - possibly passing the video from the cameras to the MCU2 and detecting an intrusion.

Do you have to have premium audio to get xm

This is simply not true. The APE computer is doing almost all the work for sentry mode (and responsible for most of the power consumption).