Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Triabunna site now added to the Tassie destination chargers, thanks to @baillies for the alert!

It must be really annoying how the Devonport-Launceston-Hobart route, the busiest in the state, has a complete absence of Tesla chargers! (well, technically, Latrobe-Launceston-Berriedale!)

upload_2016-12-15_19-45-16.png

This is the car park, and the multi level section is three levels. I'm sure there is a power point there (although I haven't looked).

Looks like the bottom floor is reserved for being using accommodation and the next two floors are for casual parking. All parking is free. They appears to be plenty of empty spots too.

I have had a quick look on the 2nd level, can't see anything that looks remotely like power - let alone power points - except for the lighting on the roof.

Does anyone know if MONA's destination charger is 32A 3phase? On Tesla's site it lists it at just 6kW.

Disappointing that plugshare doesn't appear to differentiate 1 phase and 3 phase.

When I charged there on the 14th, I got a charge rate of 37km/h. So my suspicion is it is single phase only. However I have never actually charged my car with known 3 phase either. This was the right connector, I didn't try the left connector - I would assume both are the same.

Disappointing that plugshare doesn't appear to differentiate 1 phase and 3 phase.

When I charged there on the 14th, I got a charge rate of 37km/h. So my suspicion is it is single phase only. However I have never actually charged my car with known 3 phase either. This was the right connector, I didn't try the left connector - I would assume both are the same.
assume --> make an ass of u and me

I saw a comment somewhere (thought it was John from Tesla Limousines and Tours) saying that one of them was recently upgraded to 3-phase. I'll try and find a source.
Thanks Chuq. My January trip had to be cancelled, so I've moved it to April. Can't wait.
Amazing that late last year there were 4 DCs in Tasmania, now 11. Makes it hard to plan a trip! By April, there may be a few more...

Thanks Brian!

I also notice @ColinA has visited recently, including many Plugshare check-ins. Including a new one at St Helens Wharf - thanks Colin!

On checking Plugshare there are a couple of other 3-phase outlets that are not appearing. I've asked around and the owners are happy to have occasional use but don't want them advertised on Plugshare. I'm sorry I didn't notice these omissions before your respective visits!

But here they are :)

- Banjos at Campbell Town (Google Map link) has a 3-phase outlet around the back. At least a couple of Teslas have charged there. I expect they don't want it official because of the awkward parking - this is more a service area, the car park is to the left and rear of this view. I understand that there are plans for 2x 22kW Tesla destination chargers here (in the actual car park)

upload_2017-2-21_23-35-17.png

- The parking meters in The Avenue, Launceston (Google Map link) that's the part of Brisbane St between George St and St John St) have 3-phase outlets at the base. Launceston City Council have permitted Teslas to charge there. I assume they don't want to officially advertise it or promote it because it may end with disagreements over parking spots. Note that they are single meters that serve several spaces, so you may need to wait a bit to get a spot next to a meter. It looks like there are about 3 meters with outlets available.

Pic from earlier in this thread :) (Is it @Daemon ? Not sure)

attachment.php

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I wrote a blog post with my experiences driving down to Hobart and then to Numurkah last month.

Trip to Hobart and then Numurkah

Needs some photos, but I haven't yet got to organising them yet.
Thanks Brian, that was an interesting read.
I'll be driving Devonport to Hobart, and will have three days there. I'll just use my UMC to slow charge.
Then Hobart to Strahan, staying at the place with the destination charger. This will be the longest leg at about 300kms. My 70D had 26% left the last time I drove 300kms, but I'll have consider wind and weather.
Then heading up to Wynyard to another DC, then back to Devonport.

Thanks Brian!

I also notice @ColinA has visited recently, including many Plugshare check-ins. Including a new one at St Helens Wharf - thanks Colin!

On checking Plugshare there are a couple of other 3-phase outlets that are not appearing. I've asked around and the owners are happy to have occasional use but don't want them advertised on Plugshare. I'm sorry I didn't notice these omissions before your respective visits!

But here they are :)

- Banjos at Campbell Town (Google Map link) has a 3-phase outlet around the back. At least a couple of Teslas have charged there. I expect they don't want it official because of the awkward parking - this is more a service area, the car park is to the left and rear of this view. I understand that there are plans for 2x 22kW Tesla destination chargers here (in the actual car park)

View attachment 215744

- The parking meters in The Avenue, Launceston (Google Map link) that's the part of Brisbane St between George St and St John St) have 3-phase outlets at the base. Launceston City Council have permitted Teslas to charge there. I assume they don't want to officially advertise it or promote it because it may end with disagreements over parking spots. Note that they are single meters that serve several spaces, so you may need to wait a bit to get a spot next to a meter. It looks like there are about 3 meters with outlets available.

Pic from earlier in this thread :) (Is it @Daemon ? Not sure)

attachment.php
Yes that was me.
I also used St Helens wharf, but I think someone on the AEVA Tasmania Facebook group said that someone unplugged them there, do I didn't add it.