Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phone quote from AAMI Victoria for P85 was $1350 per annum with $1300 excess. The annual rate seems OK but the excess is steep because it is a new product and considered a performance vehicle!

Wow that's competitive! I had AAMI quote my P85 and they came in at $2,283 annual with $1,700 excess - I'm in WA, locked garage, full NCD, 40 years old.

What do you think is the big difference? Is Vic really that much cheaper to insure cars than WA?

Phone quote from RACWA for my S85 was $999 per annum with $500 excess. Agreed value of $125K. This includes new for old replacement if the car is written off and no claim bonus protection.

RAC give you discounts if you are a member (my wife is a member with roadside assistance) and have multiple policies.

I'm very happy with that considering the premium for my Prius is $550 for $30K cover.

Wow that's competitive! I had AAMI quote my P85 and they came in at $2,283 annual with $1,700 excess - I'm in WA, locked garage, full NCD, 40 years old.
What do you think is the big difference? Is Vic really that much cheaper to insure cars than WA?

I got three quotes, and am in a similar situation: WA, locked garage, full NCD, 37yo.

The CGU online quoting tool gave me $1,987.40pa with $1500 excess, but that's for market value only.

Shannons was $2,344.02pa with $1800 excess, can be driven by listed drivers only. Agreed value of $180k

AAMI quoted $2,435.00pa with $1900 excess. Agreed value, but their upper limit was $172k

I will most likely go with Shannons, they insure my other (sports) car as well.

Does RACWA insure outside the State? I sent them an email to ask. Will wait and see what reply I get. At present in NSW, it seems NRMA may be the go, AAMI, when contacted a month ago said no, but to contact them closer to release date.

I had one of the first Subaru STi's in Oz, back in '99, and the NRMA initially gave me a cover note over the phone, but then declined to insure it! I had a pretty much perfect record, the only claim was the other guy's fault over a 20 year period. I called them back, and said "Hey, you just declined to insure me, now a 20 year loyal customer won't be able to get reasonable insurance!" Surprise, they listened to me and insured it anyway.

But I doubt you'll have the same trouble with the Model S. Luxury cars have less accidents and less injuries. They (AAMI) might just want to wait until a few of them are around (and I wouldn't insure with AAMI anyway; I have some acquaintances in the car repair industry and they mostly won't deal with AAMI).

So they are going out of business when the last commodore is built and all cars are imported?!
My thoughts too. However, this was in reply to an email i sent them. I think what they were referring to was someone like Steve West who has imported his own car into New Zealand, as against dealer imports. Maybe it has not got through that this is a new marque being launched here? They put me on to justcarinsurance.com.au apparently an affiliate company, who don't list the car on their web site, but i was told to call and speak to them Monday. Now that it is a reality, what with the service centre going in, i will get seriously on to this tomorrow. NRMA also will only quote by phone.

Last edited: