Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, not sure if this has been answers as I couldn't see anything in the previous 18 pages :)

Does anyone know of any insurers in Victoria that will insure the Model S, 85D, almost fully optioned (about $192K) at the full value? Can't get an agreed value past about $150K-ish (at least that's been the best with AAMI so far where I have my other car and wife's car). Not too fussed on premiums, just need to get it insured for the full value.

Thanks in advance!

Womp.

I had the same issue with AAMI. I too couldnt get an agreed $ value( Max $150K) but they did give me full replacement (like for like) for the 2 years. No loaner vehicle while I wait for another delivery either. It was the best of the bad bunch at the time. It wont be too long before my renewal notice is in......

Higgy have you had any luck on your renewal?

Womper007, the way to get a good price is to ensure they have replacement in the policy statement (usually for the first 2 years, just ask them...Youi, RAVC and Budget all do)....which will be like for like...

What to keep in mind with all these insurances, usually, none of them will cover the cost of the LCT's, Stamps etc., unfortunately that adds up to a lot.

So when my Tesla arrives in 2 weeks, I'll be going with RACV (way cheaper than the quote I got from Youi, no idea why), I will have an market value (which $25k less than what I have paid) however if I have an accident that causes a write off then the replacement clause kicks in. In 2 years from now when the replacement clause expires I will decide if I'll go Market or Agreed value then.

-ECIT

Last edited:
Womper007, the way to get a good price is to ensure they have replacement in the policy statement (usually for the first 2 years, just ask them...Youi, RAVC and Budget all do)....which will be like for like...

What to keep in mind with all these insurances, usually, none of them will cost you have the LCT's, Stamps etc., unfortunately that adds up to a lot.

So when my Tesla arrives in 2 weeks, I'll be going with RACV (way cheaper than the quote I got from Youi, no idea why), I will have an market value (which $25k less than what I have paid) however if I have an accident that causes a write off then the replacement clause kicks in. In 2 years from now with this replacement clause expires I will decide if I'll go Market or Agreed value then.

-ECIT

Thanks ECIT! Do you know if the replacement clause includes stamps, gst, lct etc as well? Some of them I heard from wouldn't include govt charges which was pretty strange for a "if you have a write off, we'll replace the car" line that they gave me. What did you get with RACV (included or excluded?)

My car arrives next week, so both extremely excited to get it, but frustrated with insurers :)

Good point Womper007, not sure if RAVC cover's the stamps, onroad's and LCT's....I will ring and check.

I hear you...I've never had to worry about insurance with my Merc's, Land Rovers or BMW's...just have them instantly covered at the time of purchase via the manufacturers lined up insurance program...it's a glaring big hole Tesla should address.

Take for instance the Model 70 (non-D)...do you think any of the insurance companies have the non-D in the Model 70 listed? None of them...so they put me under the 70D (when the 70 is much closer to the 60) and of course at an increased cost.....grrr.

-ECIT

Yup, I'm trading "up" from my Bmw x6M and I had insurance at purchase price for that in about 20minutes!

so far RACV and CGU are closest for the 85D - covers base price $150K plus cost of optional accessories, so getting closer at least. I've asked for clarification of the replacement clause to find out if they will simply deliver the same car to me and therefore any taxes are their problem, or if they would pay it out to me and the taxes become my problem. Will let everyone know when I find!

spoke with tesla about it and even they said to let them know who was doing the best insurance so that they could let other new owners know. I figure if they've got financing through Macquarie for tesla, they should look to partner with an insurer (and they could get a brokerage fee for the referral too!)

Insurance seems to be just as much tied to the individual's details (address, parking type, history) as the car itself. I've seen people get 'cheapest' quotes from each of the insurers - there's no one size fits all apparently here.

It's a right pain in the butt when none of the insurance companies even have coverage for the 70 (none D) and or any of the 90's...if Tesla assigned one insurance company they would be able to line up a good price for us and all the details and headaches of market value/agreed value would be taken care of.

It would also have the rest of the insurers fall in line and at least list the various models correctly etc.

I will be signed with RAVC as they will cover my 70 and allow me to get a quote via using the 70D and will adjust the cost down slightly after, Budget flatly out refused.

RACV will cover my car at a cost of $969.46 pa. This is based on a car that is used 90% for business, on a lease, 45 year old male with a Rate 1 and no incidences in the last 5 years or more. Bloody good price compared to the rest of the insurance companies I called. I will use Market Value for the first 2 years whilst i have a new car replacement policy in place, when this drops off I will change to Agreed Value if need be. If I changed it to market value now and listed a price of $130K (what I paid) then the price goes up $11 per month, however not worthwhile in the cars first 2 years as this in effect is already cover with a New Car Replacement clause.

-ECIT

Hey guys, I was looking for a little bit of info on insurance. I am about to receive my model S P90D. When I come to choose the cat to get an insurance quote, I can't find the option of selection a 2015 P90D. I'm starting to wonder whether in 2015 the model S P90D is in fact a P85D with the upgraded range to a P90D. Has anybody come across this?

Thanks in advance.

Just ask them for a quote on a P85D and then get the sales person on the phone to get approval from the underwriter to list on your insurance the P90D... It's really common issue across different Tesla models.

I had a similar issue, none of the insurance companies listed a 70, only 70D's. This may have changed by now, just took the underwriter to step in at the right 'step'.

-ECIT

Thanks for that. I'll call up a few insurers tomorrow.

Did tesla actually sell the P90D in 2015?

I’m picking up my P90D next week. Everywhere I have requested insurance or specifics about the model, have it listed as 2016. . My car was actually manufactured in September 2015; that was when it was Australian complianced, it landed in Australia 2016.

I think I have it right in understanding that while the car was manufactured in September 2015, it is actually a 2016 model. That may explain the anomaly you are finding.

I’m picking up my P90D next week. Everywhere I have requested insurance or specifics about the model, have it listed as 2016. . My car was actually manufactured in September 2015; that was when it was Australian complianced, it landed in Australia 2016.

I think I have it right in understanding that while the car was manufactured in September 2015, it is actually a 2016 model. That may explain the anomaly you are finding.
Hey Vegas,

Thats sounds the same as mine. If you don't mind me asking, how much did insurance cost you and who did you go with?