Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh the fun, I just started shopping for insurance and tried NRMA first as they seem to get good reviews in this thread.

I opted for agreed value of $266,000, 29, no points, no accidents etc and the car is garaged of a night.

Price was $6,500 with a $650 excess down to $4,600 with a $2,000.

I understand the two year new for old but I spent a good 20 minutes on the phone with the telesales guy who to be blunt was a rude combative prick. He was adamant that if I went for market value ($206,500) for the car and it was written off in the first two years that they would simply pay out the policy ($206,500) rather than replace the car which leaves me $60k shortchanged in this circumstance.

Can anyone definitely state (from experience) whether or not these 2 year new for old policies will cover the full price including all on road costs (LCT, Stamp duty etc)? I don't plan on having an accident, however, if someone else decides to write the thing off I want to be covered and not having a big chunk of change to throw into buying a new one.

Oh the fun, I just started shopping for insurance and tried NRMA first as they seem to get good reviews in this thread.

I opted for agreed value of $266,000, 29, no points, no accidents etc and the car is garaged of a night.

Price was $6,500 with a $650 excess down to $4,600 with a $2,000.

I understand the two year new for old but I spent a good 20 minutes on the phone with the telesales guy who to be blunt was a rude combative prick. He was adamant that if I went for market value ($206,500) for the car and it was written off in the first two years that they would simply pay out the policy ($206,500) rather than replace the car which leaves me $60k shortchanged in this circumstance.

Can anyone definitely state (from experience) whether or not these 2 year new for old policies will cover the full price including all on road costs (LCT, Stamp duty etc)? I don't plan on having an accident, however, if someone else decides to write the thing off I want to be covered and not having a big chunk of change to throw into buying a new one.

Hey mate, I was told by CGU and NRMA, that if the car was a total loss, they would replace it irrespective of the cost of replacement. If they can't replace it because it's a discontinued model, then it would be market value.

Just had a very detailed read of the PDS for NRMA and QBE and I think the NRMA guy was talking out of his backside, it very succinctly states that the vehicle will be replaced as long as it was new when purchased as long as it has been insured with them from zero, is under 2.5 ton and they assess it as a total loss.

Thanks Champ,

I just did an online quote with NRMA and they have pumped out $2,380 at market value with all my details in there correctly. Only thing I cannot manually enter is the options I have selected, how'd you go with the options?

Novo

I thought NRMA used to work on the basis that all options, modifications and accessories are covered without you having to specify every last one on the policy?

I had been with Shannon’s for years with various cars and got a quote from them for a P90 D, usually garaged overnight, history of expensive cars, nil accidents. $2800, with an agreed value of $210,000/$2000 access (less than it is worth, but I don’t plan to crash and write the car off and if it does happen, I’ll accept that risk and its consequence)

I tried RACQ, was told they do not insure vehicles over $200,000? Really?

I rang NRMA, no history with them whatsoever, $2100, including windscreen and glass,With a $2,000 excess. I went with them.

If you are with NRMA, and many other insurers, the number of policies and the length of time you have held the policy can now make a big difference. I have almost all insurance with them and my 2014 Model S 85, agreed value $145,300 and garaged in Potts Point, a high risk area was $1483.73 last December.

If you are with NRMA, and many other insurers, the number of policies and the length of time you have held the policy can now make a big difference. I have almost all insurance with them and my 2014 Model S 85, agreed value $145,300 and garaged in Potts Point, a high risk area was $1483.73 last December.
Im paying $3000, with a $2000 excess on a P90D.
Shopped around so much and couldn't get it any cheaper. I have insured for market value with new car replacement for the first 2 years, got the hire car option, windscreen replacement and no claim bonus protection. Im 39 live in the inner west of Sydney, safe area.

I don't have it garaged, maybe thats the difference?

What questions should you ask a potential insurance company before choosing them to ensure your car?

Obvious ones I can think of include:
  • Premium?
  • Excess?
  • What features? Windscreen protection? Theft protection? Hire car option?
  • Agreed value? Market value? Estimated value? New for old? Is it really new for old?
Actually the last point confuses me; what should I be asking for? Is there any website that explains all these terms and maybe advises on how to pick the most appropriate type of insurance for my car? I am guessing new for old is the best, but this could have a markup in premium.

Market value is what the insurance company thinks the car (now a write off) would have sold for before the write off? Do I have that correct?

Estimated value seems to be what my current car has, where they estimate the value of the car (the details say it was my estimate but I don't remember them ever asking me) and use this to price the premiums; but when you come to make the claim they can tell you that the car wasn't worth that much and pay a lesser price.

What affect, if any, does wraps such as XPEL have on insurance?

Edit: Add bullet point for features that may or may not be included.

I'm with Suncorp. Garaged at night. I'm at $3,500 with $1,500 excess. Lifetime new for old. Been with them for over 10 years and all my cars have been comprehensively insured with them. I have multipolicy discount. 2 other cars also insured with lifetime new for old. Also have my home and contents with them. Only thing they don't have is my life insurance. :p

Hi all - first post, very keen to get behind the wheel of a Model S and looking at things more seriously now. Thought I'd post up the results of my insurance research so far, I'm 34 in Wahroonga (Sydney) and looking at the 90D or 85D (can't afford the P and insurance seems to be ridiculous for those for me anyway!)

AAMI: $5200 ($1800 standard excess)
NRMA: $3060 ($2000 raised excess)
Shannons: $3590 ($2050 standard excess)

Interestingly Shannons asked several times about my car history and whether I'd owned anything at that sort of price point, highest valued car previously would be $95k but I'm not sure how or why that would have influenced their decision, plus I had a classic car actually insured with them several years back which they did already have in the system...but still lots of questions.

Also interestingly, at our current property chances are it would only be under a carport as opposed to locked garage, both AAMI and Shannons require a locked garage.

Hope that is of some help to others.
cheers

Good luck with your Model S purchase! Those insurance prices seem very high. I pay NRMA about $2K for my P90D insurance with a 2K excess and I believe some people pay less than that. Tesla now has its own insurance offering (through QBE I think) so you may want to contact them first.