Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omniwolf...how'd you get it down to that price? I just did a quote and select $101,550 (lowest agreed value) on a 70D...I have a Rating 1 (5 years) and answered no to all the questions that would normally increase the price.....I'm the only driver and aged 44...would really like to know how you got it down this cheap....oh, and I'm located in Melbourne (and what insurers usually deem as a safe area) and since being in Melbourne in the unlucky event that my car needs panel beating they exist here, rather than having to be sent off somewhere at additional costs....

Also, do you know anyting about this insurers policy on where/how one gets quotes if you're unlucky enough to be in an accident?

-ECIT

Edit: it is possible to get the price down however I found I had to do the following to get the price down:

- Be living at the same address and own ones house for more than 5 years (just bought and renovated and moved in 1 year ago for me)
- Not used for business, and select the option that you don't even drive it to and from work/school (I use to drive to clients, so will have to select business use)
- Don't be registered for GST (I am, isn't going to change)
- Have been with ones current insurer for 5+ years (no go, moved from BMW to Budget Direct 2-3 years ago)

See attached price when I selected personal, no business, no drive to work/school, more than 5 years living at same address, more than 5 years with current insurer...

Attachments

• CapturFiles-22-38-2015_05.38.19.jpg
    CapturFiles-22-38-2015_05.38.19.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Not sure I like this in the PDS (I would prefer to use whom I prefer):

What repairers do you use?
Our Progressive Preferred Repairers are a national network of carefully selected motor vehicle body repairers. They offer you distinct advantages:

Our repairers are equipped with modern repair technology to ensure the safety and integrity of your vehicle.

Because of our relationship with these repairers, you’ll receive prompt service and have issues resolved quickly and fairly.

Repairs done at our Preferred Repairers are backed by our Lifetime Repair Guarantee.

Using a Progressive Preferred Repairer means less work for you because you won’t need to get additional repair estimates or manage any part of the repair process.

That IS good. Who are their underwriters, i wonder?
As far as i can tell they underwrite themselves, so there is no separate underwriter, per se. This could be why they are cheaper too...

Omniwolf...how'd you get it down to that price? I just did a quote and select $101,550 (lowest agreed value) on a 70D...I have a Rating 1 (5 years) and answered no to all the questions that would normally increase the price.....I'm the only driver and aged 44...would really like to know how you got it down this cheap....oh, and I'm located in Melbourne (and what insurers usually deem as a safe area) and since being in Melbourne in the unlucky event that my car needs panel beating they exist here, rather than having to be sent off somewhere at additional costs....

Also, do you know anyting about this insurers policy on where/how one gets quotes if you're unlucky enough to be in an accident?

-ECIT

Edit: it is possible to get the price down however I found I had to do the following to get the price down:

- Be living at the same address and own ones house for more than 5 years (just bought and renovated and moved in 1 year ago for me)
- Not used for business, and select the option that you don't even drive it to and from work/school (I use to drive to clients, so will have to select business use)
- Don't be registered for GST (I am, isn't going to change)
- Have been with ones current insurer for 5+ years (no go, moved from BMW to Budget Direct 2-3 years ago)

See attached price when I selected personal, no business, no drive to work/school, more than 5 years living at same address, more than 5 years with current insurer...
Yep, basically what you used to get the price down is my situation - not for business, own my home which i've been living in for over 5 years, no GST, no claims in 5 years, i put the second highest rating for no claim i think.

Do they cover ALL the Model S variants? I have a current policy with Youi, but will need to renew in December. Don't want to go through a pseudo quote application to see for myself.
To see the options, you need only get to the second page of the quote system. The options are:

70D
85D
P85D

Not sure I like this in the PDS (I would prefer to use whom I prefer):

What repairers do you use?
Our Progressive Preferred Repairers are a national network of carefully selected motor vehicle body repairers. They offer you distinct advantages:

Our repairers are equipped with modern repair technology to ensure the safety and integrity of your vehicle.

Because of our relationship with these repairers, you’ll receive prompt service and have issues resolved quickly and fairly.

Repairs done at our Preferred Repairers are backed by our Lifetime Repair Guarantee.

Using a Progressive Preferred Repairer means less work for you because you won’t need to get additional repair estimates or manage any part of the repair process.
from what I can tell, most insurers try and push you down their "preferred" repairer network regardless, I've seen some bad stories about when people try and use a repairer not in the preferred list anyways..
still not ideal i know, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using progressive for my current car for 2 or 3 years, i've had no problems, but i haven't made any claims, so..

As far as i can tell they underwrite themselves, so there is no separate underwriter, per se. This could be why they are cheaper too...

Yep, basically what you used to get the price down is my situation - not for business, own my home which i've been living in for over 5 years, no GST, no claims in 5 years, i put the second highest rating for no claim i think.

To see the options, you need only get to the second page of the quote system. The options are:

70D
85D
P85D

from what I can tell, most insurers try and push you down their "preferred" repairer network regardless, I've seen some bad stories about when people try and use a repairer not in the preferred list anyways..
still not ideal i know, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using progressive for my current car for 2 or 3 years, i've had no problems, but i haven't made any claims, so..

Guys, looking at Progressive, the "agreed" value is about 70K less than the actual car is worth day 1? Thoughts about this. I looked at the P85D as my car option?

agreed value.png

Quotes for a P85D in Perth go from one extreme to another. Online quotes all seemed to default to $148k agreed value and ranged from $850 with RAC to $3000+ with SGIO (NRMA). An online chat with RAC was able to increase agreed value to $200k for a premium of $1,067 with NCB protection and hire car after accident. Now I just need a car to insure.

I bought my policy last week. As a few have noticed, Progressive have a large gap between agreed value and replacement cost and while they had the lowest premium ($900) , that was a deal breaker for me. I checked a few others and went with Youi. At just under $1100 they had a 2 year new for old policy before reverting to market value (based on advertised for sale prices).
I have been / am a Progressive , Youi and RACQ customer. One claim was lodged with Youi a few years ago and the claim process was painless. RACQ are the most expensive and by far the worst to deal with.

I bought my policy last week. As a few have noticed, Progressive have a large gap between agreed value and replacement cost and while they had the lowest premium ($900) , that was a deal breaker for me. I checked a few others and went with Youi. At just under $1100 they had a 2 year new for old policy before reverting to market value (based on advertised for sale prices).
I have been / am a Progressive , Youi and RACQ customer. One claim was lodged with Youi a few years ago and the claim process was painless. RACQ are the most expensive and by far the worst to deal with.
Well, I've spent three hours now trying to get insurance- many companies won't do it per Internet, and the only one who will (NRMA) is $2350.....still trying to nut it out....

One general piece of advice. Put the deductible at maximum (you can take their max, and then add a voluntary amount to a total of roughly $2500-3000). It will
reduce your premium by about $500. Think of it this way, you are paying $500 for $1500 in insurance. A terrible deal. If you AVERAGE LESS THAN an accident every two years, you are way ahead (and I am sure you will not exceed that!!).

on the same note, do not pay to reduce the glass coverage....same math, same lousy deal

Your premium should be below $2K, maybe $1500